“Beautiful retreat”

Hyatt Regency Newport Beach
Ranked #7 of 18 Hotels in Newport Beach
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 5 May 2014

Stayed here on business and it was gorgeous getaway. Staff was excellent and very accommodating. Rooms were impeccable and nicely furnished. The bathroom was spacious and well lit - hard to find in a hotel. Lots of green space and places to relax outdoors. It was easy to find a quite place and just read without being disturbed.

Room Tip: Opt to face away from the parking lot. Plenty of good views elsewhere.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
Sarah M, Manager at Hyatt Regency Newport Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 10 May 2014

Thank you for your response on Trip Advisor. It’s great to hear that you had a nice stay while on business. We hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 5 May 2014

The location is great and the layout of the rooms provide a view amentity to almost every wing. The lobby and many of the rooms have been renovated. I hope that the exterior and hardscape are next. Staff was very friendly. Would have been helpful to have right side of valet lane open so alleviate congestion. Restaurant food and presentation were excellent. I would, and probably will, come back.

Room Tip: If you stay in the Lido building, ask for 2nd floor room. Best view of the bay.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends

Thank you so much for your great Trip Advisor review! I agree the Lido Building Bay Views offer the most amazing view of the Bay and the golf course! We hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed 4 May 2014

Stayed here with a group of 4 on a business trip due to the fact that we stayed at different Hyatts around the US where we received great service and friendly staff (we also stayed in Hyatt Long beach) where the experience was 10 times better.
I dont even know how the resoprt looked like prior to the refurbishment as it needed an upgrade.
First let me elaborate on my awful experience despite the ravings of almost all reviewers.
1-To begin with when we checked in at 3:20pm we were told we had to wait until 4pm for a room to be ready, so I asked the agent (Bridget) if she could get us other rooms as we are all exhausted being up since 6am , to which she rudely replied that we need to wait and there's nothing she can do and then she just walked away to chat with her colleague, I then approached another agent who seemed more friendly and knew what he was doing (a Trainee actually), who found other rooms and explained that he has rooms with twin beds and not king beds as our reservation so if its ok then he can action it.
2-He then proceeded to let us know that he will provide us with free wifi and breakfast for our troubles (they charged us this when we checked out).
3- To make matters worse I then overhear the beloved Bridget (the rude front desk agent) talking to her colleague and complaining about us that we are annoying her.
4-At breakfast I felt like the staff were doing us a favor, we had to wait for the menus and then had to wait to order and then had to wait for the food for very lengthy intervals, however if you were a regular and the staff knew you and that they were guaranteed a tip , then the service you got was great (as was witnessed) from several customers who seemed to be regulars of the resort, but for us we got to have the 2nd class treatment as we didnt look like the newport crowd.
5-The hotel has no room service after midnight, so if you're starving you will remain so till the next day as there is nothing close by unless you want to take a cab as the hotel shuttle starts at 10:30am to fashion island and last timing is 8:30pm.
6-every morning without fail there was a horrible noise of vacuuming or pool cleaning going on that no one tells you about, at this point i already had a sour taste in my mouth that i didnt even bother to complain as i knew they werent going to take any action.
7-Finally is the icing on the cake: when it came to check out we were all charged the wifi and breakfast that we were told was free when we checked in (i then proceeded to tell the agent that we were told it will be comped so he said he will remove it), however once i got back home i realised they charged my credit card, i have sent them an enquiry and i have yet to receive a response or a refund, lets see what happens next

All in all this hotel is designed for someone from newport beach who has a car and comes there regularly, it was very evident by the attitude of the staff that they seem to think they are very special by working in newport (more special than the customers), I will never ever stay in this property again and neither are any of my friends or anyone from my company, such a disappointment for a Hyatt.

2  Thank WendyDub

Thank you for your response on Trip Advisor. I am so sorry to hear that you had a poor experience at our property. I'm very sorry that you didn’t receive the most professional service from our staff. Providing every guest with great service is what we work for each and every day. I am very sorry we failed to do so on your stay. I completely understand your frustrations with the breakfast and Wi-Fi being charged when you were told it would be complimentary. Please call the front desk and ask to speak to a front office manager or myself so we may address this situation. If there is anything you need, please reach out to me directly do I may better assist you.

Reviewed 24 April 2014

Humphrey Bogart sailed his beloved yacht Santana from the Newport Harbour Yacht club - nearby in Balboa and almost visible across the bay from the balcony of a third floor room.

This is a great hotel/resort for a business meeting or a break and at very affordable prices. The staff go out of their way to be helpful and pleasant and to make sure that a stay is as enjoyable as can be. We stayed two nights in a double queen room on the third floor with a balcony. The room was welcoming on arrival and well serviced during the stay.

Bogie would have appreciated the efficiency of the bar staff, their abilities to mix cocktails or their advice on whiskies and bourbons. Bacall would have enjoyed the company well attired and sassy business women and well dressed young men there for events.

If you are not there for the business or the booze, a romantic getaway or a family holiday there is a great deal else to do on the site and nearby.

The food is very decent throughout the daye from the variety of offerings at breakfast through to the late night snacks in the bar.

We will have to be back in Newport Beach again on business and look forward to another stay.

Room Tip: A higher room with a bay view is best for peace and quiet and wonderful views.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
Sarah M, Manager at Hyatt Regency Newport Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 26 April 2014

Thank you for your great response. I'm happy to hear your enjoyed the resort and the guestroom. I agree that our Bay View rooms offer an amazing view and peace and quiet. We look forward to your next arrival.

Reviewed 17 April 2014

I stayed at the Hyatt for a meeting. The location is pretty good and staff was great. Ate here several time and the catering was consistently excellent.

There were several little things that didn't I didn't expect from a Hyatt Regency. The room wasn't cleaned well (m&ms and some change under the desk) and the ironing board cover was so wrinkled that it was essentially useless for straightening clothes. The worst part was the noise level. Noise from the courtyard and the other rooms was quite objectionable. My #1 need from a hotel is to be able to sleep on my schedule (early to bed, early to rise) and I wasn't able to do that.

They're in the middle of some remodeling, Maybe it will be nicer when they're done.

Room Tip: stay away from the ampetheater
1  Thank keatingclan

Thank you for your response on Trip Advisor. I'm sorry to hear that we didn’t fully meet your expectations. I will speak to my housekeeping team so we may use this as a coaching tool. We are currently remolding our Stay Fit Fitness Center. This will be finished in a couple weeks. I'm very sorry you were inconvenienced by any noise. Please feel free to reach out to me or any other front office manager upon your next stay.

Reviewed 14 April 2014

I had the pleasure of staying at this wonderful resort for 5 nights while attending a conference. The staff was just wonderful, there with whatever anyone needed. I heard other attendees say, they are there with what we need, before we even know we need it! the rooms were lovely, and well appointed. There were multiple swimming pools, one specifically for family use so if you wanted quiet time by the pool, you could enjoy it. There is lots of space to relax both indoors and out, the grounds were just beautiful and the whole property very well kept. can't say enough good about the place and my stay!!

1  Thank Fittorun

Thank you for responding about us on Trip Advisor! I'm so glad to hear that you had a great experience. We offer 3 pools that are completely different. We hope there is something that each guest will enjoy. Thank you for choosing Hyatt Regency Newport Beach! We hope to see you soon!

Reviewed 13 April 2014

Loved our stay in Southern California, far preferable to the madness of LA. Spacious resort with nicely landscaped grounds, three good pools, lots of activities, excellent, friendly staff. 15 minute walk to he lovely balboa Island and was about a 45 minute drive down from LAX. Highly recommended for family holiday in his area.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank JDsale

Thank you for your great response! We are so happy to hear that you had a great stay with us! I'm happy you were able to enjoy all the amenities we offer on property. We hope to see you on your next vacation!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Newport Beach
Newport Beach Marriott Bayview
Newport Beach Marriott Bayview
#9 of 18 in Newport Beach
Hyatt Regency Huntington Beach Resort & Spa
Hyatt Regency Huntington Beach R...
#1 of 21 in Huntington Beach
The Duke Hotel Newport Beach
The Duke Hotel Newport Beach
#10 of 18 in Newport Beach
The Resort at Pelican Hill
The Resort at Pelican Hill
#5 of 18 in Newport Beach

Been to Hyatt Regency Newport Beach? Share your experiences!