“Beautiful Hotel Conveniently Located”

Hyatt Regency Newport Beach
Ranked #7 of 17 Hotels in Newport Beach
GreenLeadersGold level
“Beautiful Hotel Conveniently Located”
Reviewed 12 May 2014

My family stayed at this hotel which was near the starting line of a marathon my son was running. They offered a free shuttle for runners to the start line, which was a helpful perk. The hotel also offers free shuttles down the road to a spot across from Balboa Island, and the large shopping mall across the road. The room was nice with two double beds. We had to request a microwave and coffee maker as they weren't in the room when we arrived. The bathroom had louvered doors, which doesn't provide the privacy most people prefer, but other than that, the room met our needs. The lobby area includes a Starbucks breakfast area in the morning, and a bar setup the rest of the day, with snacks available for purchase. Off from that area, there's a library/tv room with coffee table type books and a tv mounted behind a mirror wall. Off from the lobby area, outside, there's a veranda with seating and steps leading down to the large pool with slide and a good number of chaises. On the veranda, there is a pair of ducks who wander around quacking looking for crumbs...cute addition.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Sarah M, Manager at Hyatt Regency Newport Beach, responded to this review, 22 May 2014
It’s great to hear that you were able to take advantage of our free shuttle for the Marathon runners. We hope you are able to come visit us again in the near future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (308)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 9 May 2014

The property was beautiful, very clean. The only thing I did not like is that the self parking is across the bridge. I normally don't use or trust valet. However, Chad the valet was awsom. The concierge was very nice but, did not inform us of the shuttle service into downtown so we walked, but was able to catch the shuttle back. The restaurant is brand new, the menu is very small for lunch. I would recommend dining there for dinner you have more options. The room was large and had a partial view of the ocean I really enjoyed my stay.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank QRrockin
West Palm Beach, Florida
Reviewed 7 May 2014

I was at a conference at the Hyatt Regency Newport Beach in February 2014, and it was a delightful experience. The hotel is spread out over a large area that is beautifully landscaped. I stayed in one of the buildings that had a view of the marina from my balcony. I specifically asked for a quiet room since I'm a light sleeper, and one of the farther buildings was quiet and perfect for me. There are various swimming pools for different buildings, and I was impressed to see that each was equipped with a chair lift for disabled people--something I had never seen before. To get to my room every day I walked past a large outdoor chessboard and a lovely fountain--treats for the eyes every day. The staff was very helpful, and parking was only $10 a day, much cheaper than most other CA hotels. The food in the indoor and outdoor restaurants was excellent, and the bar with the fire behind it was fun at the end of the day. I can't wait to visit this hotel again!

Room Tip: If you are a light sleeper, ask for a room in one of the buildings not attached to the main hotel bu...
Green Features: Excellent--landscaped with local plants and local produce in the salads
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Sarah M, General Manager at Hyatt Regency Newport Beach, responded to this review, 22 May 2014
It’s great to hear that you were able to relax outside and enjoy Newport Beach's great weather! We hope to see you soon!
Macomb, Michigan
Reviewed 5 May 2014

Stayed here on business and it was gorgeous getaway. Staff was excellent and very accommodating. Rooms were impeccable and nicely furnished. The bathroom was spacious and well lit - hard to find in a hotel. Lots of green space and places to relax outdoors. It was easy to find a quite place and just read without being disturbed.

Room Tip: Opt to face away from the parking lot. Plenty of good views elsewhere.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Sarah M, Manager at Hyatt Regency Newport Beach, responded to this review, 10 May 2014
Thank you for your response on Trip Advisor. It’s great to hear that you had a nice stay while on business. We hope to see you again soon.
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed 5 May 2014

The location is great and the layout of the rooms provide a view amentity to almost every wing. The lobby and many of the rooms have been renovated. I hope that the exterior and hardscape are next. Staff was very friendly. Would have been helpful to have right side of valet lane open so alleviate congestion. Restaurant food and presentation were excellent. I would, and probably will, come back.

Room Tip: If you stay in the Lido building, ask for 2nd floor room. Best view of the bay.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Thank you so much for your great Trip Advisor review! I agree the Lido Building Bay Views offer the most amazing view of the Bay and the golf course! We hope to see you again soon!
Province of Malaga, Spain
Reviewed 4 May 2014

Stayed here with a group of 4 on a business trip due to the fact that we stayed at different Hyatts around the US where we received great service and friendly staff (we also stayed in Hyatt Long beach) where the experience was 10 times better.
I dont even know how the resoprt looked like prior to the refurbishment as it needed an upgrade.
First let me elaborate on my awful experience despite the ravings of almost all reviewers.
1-To begin with when we checked in at 3:20pm we were told we had to wait until 4pm for a room to be ready, so I asked the agent (Bridget) if she could get us other rooms as we are all exhausted being up since 6am , to which she rudely replied that we need to wait and there's nothing she can do and then she just walked away to chat with her colleague, I then approached another agent who seemed more friendly and knew what he was doing (a Trainee actually), who found other rooms and explained that he has rooms with twin beds and not king beds as our reservation so if its ok then he can action it.
2-He then proceeded to let us know that he will provide us with free wifi and breakfast for our troubles (they charged us this when we checked out).
3- To make matters worse I then overhear the beloved Bridget (the rude front desk agent) talking to her colleague and complaining about us that we are annoying her.
4-At breakfast I felt like the staff were doing us a favor, we had to wait for the menus and then had to wait to order and then had to wait for the food for very lengthy intervals, however if you were a regular and the staff knew you and that they were guaranteed a tip , then the service you got was great (as was witnessed) from several customers who seemed to be regulars of the resort, but for us we got to have the 2nd class treatment as we didnt look like the newport crowd.
5-The hotel has no room service after midnight, so if you're starving you will remain so till the next day as there is nothing close by unless you want to take a cab as the hotel shuttle starts at 10:30am to fashion island and last timing is 8:30pm.
6-every morning without fail there was a horrible noise of vacuuming or pool cleaning going on that no one tells you about, at this point i already had a sour taste in my mouth that i didnt even bother to complain as i knew they werent going to take any action.
7-Finally is the icing on the cake: when it came to check out we were all charged the wifi and breakfast that we were told was free when we checked in (i then proceeded to tell the agent that we were told it will be comped so he said he will remove it), however once i got back home i realised they charged my credit card, i have sent them an enquiry and i have yet to receive a response or a refund, lets see what happens next

All in all this hotel is designed for someone from newport beach who has a car and comes there regularly, it was very evident by the attitude of the staff that they seem to think they are very special by working in newport (more special than the customers), I will never ever stay in this property again and neither are any of my friends or anyone from my company, such a disappointment for a Hyatt.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank WendyDub
Thank you for your response on Trip Advisor. I am so sorry to hear that you had a poor experience at our property. I'm very sorry that you didn’t receive the most professional service from our staff. Providing every guest with great service is what we work for each and every day. I am very sorry we failed to do so on your stay. I completely understand your frustrations with the breakfast and Wi-Fi being charged when you were told it would be complimentary. Please call the front desk and ask to speak to a front office manager or myself so we may address this situation. If there is anything you need, please reach out to me directly do I may better assist you.
London
Reviewed 24 April 2014

Humphrey Bogart sailed his beloved yacht Santana from the Newport Harbour Yacht club - nearby in Balboa and almost visible across the bay from the balcony of a third floor room.

This is a great hotel/resort for a business meeting or a break and at very affordable prices. The staff go out of their way to be helpful and pleasant and to make sure that a stay is as enjoyable as can be. We stayed two nights in a double queen room on the third floor with a balcony. The room was welcoming on arrival and well serviced during the stay.

Bogie would have appreciated the efficiency of the bar staff, their abilities to mix cocktails or their advice on whiskies and bourbons. Bacall would have enjoyed the company well attired and sassy business women and well dressed young men there for events.

If you are not there for the business or the booze, a romantic getaway or a family holiday there is a great deal else to do on the site and nearby.

The food is very decent throughout the daye from the variety of offerings at breakfast through to the late night snacks in the bar.

We will have to be back in Newport Beach again on business and look forward to another stay.

Room Tip: A higher room with a bay view is best for peace and quiet and wonderful views.
Green Features: The hotel appears to have a strong commitment to the environment with the exception of gas fired fire pits and outdoor heaters.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Sarah M, Manager at Hyatt Regency Newport Beach, responded to this review, 26 April 2014
Thank you for your great response. I'm happy to hear your enjoyed the resort and the guestroom. I agree that our Bay View rooms offer an amazing view and peace and quiet. We look forward to your next arrival.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Newport Beach
The Duke Hotel Newport Beach
#9 of 17 in Newport Beach
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,512 reviews
Hyatt Regency Huntington Beach Resort & Spa
Hyatt Regency Huntington Beach R...
#1 of 22 in Huntington Beach
4.5 of 5 bubbles 3,213 reviews
Bay Shores Peninsula Hotel
Bay Shores Peninsula Hotel
#1 of 17 in Newport Beach
Marriott's Newport Coast Villas

Been to Hyatt Regency Newport Beach? Share your experiences!