“Cool pool”

GreenLeadersGold level
Mammoth Lakes, California
“Cool pool”
Reviewed 24 May 2014 via mobile

Nice pool with fun waterslide for the kids. Room and service were good but lacking polish for a 5 star rating. Would definitely return though. Asked for an upgraded room with balcony and found this to be more comfortable than the poolside rooms with no balcony for fresh air.

Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Sarah M, Manager at Hyatt Regency Newport Beach, responded to this review, 21 June 2014
We are so happy to hear you enjoyed some fun in the sun at our kids pool! We are hope to see you again very soon!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (308)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
Tacoma
Reviewed 23 May 2014

I found the Hyatt a good place to get a little California fix on a fleeting business trip. When I got up to my room, there was a hummingbird buzzing the flowering trees and I could see sailboat masts and a strip of water. The room was comfortable and clean; bathroom and toiletries good; my only gripe was that the minuscule creamer packet for the in-room coffee led me to use three "Arabica Mix Condiment Packs" (their label).
Swimming before breakfast the next day I had a lovely pool (one of three) to myself. I appreciated the lobby layout switched completely from bar at night (with tasty bar food that substituted well for a heavy dinner) to coffee bar with a limited breakfast menu in the morning. I had left my laptop at home, and appreciated using one of the lobby computers.
The desk, valet and wait staff were all friendly and well trained.
The hotel was an $18 taxi ride from John Wayne airport.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Nina R
Sarah M, Manager at Hyatt Regency Newport Beach, responded to this review, 24 May 2014
It’s great to hear you were able to utilize so many aspects of our property including our pools, lobby lounge, and coffee bar in the morning. We will work a substitution for a different creamer in the guestrooms. Thank you very much for that feedback. I hope on your next stay you are able to take advantage our complimentary airport shuttle to John Wayne Airport.
San Francisco
Reviewed 21 May 2014

I've stayed here before a few years ago and would not have gone back if they hadn't remodeled. My expectations were pretty high since it was recently done and by the caliber of their new hotels the Andaz. I returned to find that the lobby and bar have a fresh new high end look, very nice. The rooms and common areas are pretty much the same though. They did a half way remodel, only changing paint, carpet, drapes, and new bathroom fixtures. The furniture is mostly the same run down ones that were there years ago. Our dresser draws wouldn't stay shut, the bed squeaked, no high def tv, white walls with the same pictures from before reno that don't match current decor, curtains that only open from one side, and I could go on. The $19 resort fee makes you think you are at a resort, but once there you rethink that. $32 for valet parking or $22 for self parking in the next state.

Good things were the bar help (Atchara), free bottled water in room, amenities like bikes and beach gear, water pressure galore, and that's about it. Oh yeah, location is the best, which many people seem to start with in their reviews. We love Corona Del Mar and Newport Beach, so this really is a great destination but really didn't love the changes made at the hotel.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank knll68
Sarah M, Manager at Hyatt Regency Newport Beach, responded to this review, 22 May 2014
We truly appreciate you responding on trip advisor. Our goal is to meet all guest’s expectations when staying with us at Hyatt Regency Newport Beach. I want to apologize that we failed to meet some of yours. We are defiantly different from our Andaz Brand. Every Hyatt brand (Hyatt Regency, Park Hyatt, Andaz, Hyatt Home, Hyatt Place) all target a specific market. Andaz is a boutique style hotel that offers a completely different experience then any other. I completely understand why you enjoy that brand. I hope you were able to utilize all our resort activities we offer on property. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed the area and visiting Corona Del Mar. Please feel free to call us if you need anything at all.
Palm Springs
Reviewed 21 May 2014 via mobile

We had to pay a resort fee of $35 for Internet and a bunch of stuff that we didn't use on top of that we had to call to the several times to get towels. Walls thin, good was very over priced and service was terrible in the food area.

• Stayed January 2014
1 Thank Debbie F
I'm sorry to hear we didn’t meet all your expectations for your stay. Our resort fee is $19 and it includes Internet for up to 6 devices, bottled water, bike rentals, green fees on our golf course, beach valet kits, shuttle rides to the airport, Fashion Island and Balboa Island, local and 800 calls, kids cup for beverages in all our outlets, access to our newly renovated StayFit gym, mini I pad rentals and computer work stations with free printing. If you have any questions about charges, please feel free to contact our front office to take a look at your folio to make sure everything looks correct.
tang043
Reviewed 20 May 2014

The quality of the hotel, the location and the service were all excellent. I was slightly worried having read earlier reviews, but these people really need to get a life and stop spening their time looking for things to complain about. Special note should be made of Felix in the resturant at breakfast. He always made us all welcome and after three days already knew what our drinks order would be, Angel was also great with the family.
The receptionists could never do enough for you. As it was my son's birthday while we were out there he wanted to go to a water park. But as these soft Californians dont thinks 70/80 Deg is warm enough they were all closed. Anyway the receiptionest suggest we go go-karting, and he phoned and booked for us. Also there was a card, cookies and a drink for us all when we returned. So all in all a great experince and would recommend a stay there

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Virgin Holidays

1 Thank tang043
It’s wonderful to hear that our front desk agent was able to make your son’s birthday memorable. Thank you for taking the time to write a response on trip advisor highlighting your wonderful stay. We hope to see you soon!
Chandler, Arizona
Reviewed 19 May 2014

The location is a very short distance to Balboa Island and to Balboa beach .The room was good size and had a good view . We ate out back in the morning got our breakfast at the Starbucks we were taking pictures and then left we were checked out and drove about five miles then I saw I didn't have my good camera. We went back I looked out back the G.M. was there he called room service to check the room and the front desk which is where someone handed it in.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Thank you for your great response on trip advisor. We are so happy to hear that your camera was recovered safely. We hope to see you soon!
Palm Springs, CA
Reviewed 18 May 2014

Overall I had a good experience at the Hyatt Regency Newport Beach. For the most part everything was up to par. I was very impressed that they had chosen to drain and turn off their fountain in view of the severe draught CA is having. Until, we were checking out and a guest was drying off his truck with a pool towel at the entrance to the lobby. I realized why as I returned to my car to find it soaking wet from the sprinklers for their landscaping. I'm not talking a bit of water but more like a huge rainstorm came over the parking lot. As we are currently battling several fires in SD County I feel it is completely irresponsible of the Hyatt to allow their irrigation system to waste such a vast amount of water.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank CESMPT
Thank you for your concern for the California drought. Our hotel is dedicated to conserving water on property. We have reduced our landscaping water use. We have also educated our staff on water conservation measures throughout the hotel. I am very sorry to hear the sprinklers got your car very wet. I will have our team look into the sprinklers and make sure they are working correctly and being scheduled at the right time.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Newport Beach
The Duke Hotel Newport Beach
#10 of 17 in Newport Beach
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,512 reviews
Hyatt Regency Huntington Beach Resort & Spa
Hyatt Regency Huntington Beach R...
#1 of 22 in Huntington Beach
4.5 of 5 bubbles 3,220 reviews
Bay Shores Peninsula Hotel
Bay Shores Peninsula Hotel
#1 of 17 in Newport Beach
Marriott's Newport Coast Villas

Been to Hyatt Regency Newport Beach? Share your experiences!