“Beware the Villas”

Ranked #7 of 17 Hotels in Newport Beach
GreenLeadersGold level
“Beware the Villas”
Reviewed 5 August 2014 via mobile

I was here for a conference and the room was free for me but it seems like 100% of my fellow attendees had a balcony or patio--which I would expect at a beachside hotel. Not me...I was in the upstairs of one of the Villas. I think these are designed to be the room you stick the kids or your freeloading brother-in-law in if you rent the whole Villa. So while the main room had access to the private pool and the front bedroom got a big terrace, I got bupkis. Plus, the room layout is stupid. There's an armoire where the TV should be and the TV is off to the left and hard to see from the bed. There were two closets...why? The only place to plug the coffee machine in was the bedside table...really? My martini was $17, yowza! I'm sure it's a nice place if you get a good room but I recommend asking a lot of questions about what you are getting.

Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
4 Thank BethAnnSH123

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (319)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
Denver, Colorado, United States
Reviewed 4 August 2014

This was an excellent venue for a small conference. The bar was a great place to meet and network during the conference and the food was great. The hotel is also very close to great restaurants. I would have loved to have utilized the pools and other facilities at the hotel but didn't have time unfortunately. Looks like a great place to bring the family.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 1 August 2014

We stayed for three nights and it was a pleasant place with some minor drawbacks. There was an odd smell in our building. The rooms were fairly comfortable, but set up weird. For example, there is a vinyl loveseat in a niche at the end of the room facing the wall with no view of the TV. The toilet is right across from the bathroom counter. I am wondering if the place used to be a retirement center, since there is shuffleboard and a golf course on location and smells slightly like it. All the rooms in our building had a balcony or patio. The food at the bar was good, especially the wings and the bar has a very nice ambience. Disappointed with the service. They were definitely under staffed for the bar and pool at a very obviously peak season, but no one seemed to notice.

Room Tip: Ground floor has patios in the Balboa building.
1 Thank Zona805
Glendora
Reviewed 1 August 2014

The Newport Hyatt is a great location for visitors or locals on a "stay cation." The rooms are basic, but have all that you need. With their resort fee it now includes wifi for up to 6 devices, golf on their 3 par adjoining course, and an hour bike ride. The only downside to the hotel is their restaurant menu. While I appreciate that they have healthy options, and some fine dining choices, they lack the basics. If you are staying there multiple nights they really should add some easy choices.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Room20
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 30 July 2014

My husband and I had to stay here due to his corporate rate policy. I read the many reviews about this place and was very hesitant about going there but after staying there two nights, I think I can sum it up by saying it depends on what you are looking for.

The Hyatt is great for families. There is so much to do for kids and the place is very "active". If you are a couple looking for peace and quiet, this is not the place for you. Also, if you are looking for luxury accommodations, this is not the place for you. If you are looking for nice accommodations at a nice value with good service, then great. I think this sums up all of the reviews from my perspective.

When we arrived very late on check in, we were told that they had no more King rooms and only could offer a double. We figured all would be okay. Well, the doubles are SO tiny!! My husband and I would have had to sleep in separate beds. And, the comments about the noise was very true. We were on the bottom floor and the kids above us were stomping away. We were anxiously trying to find another alternative hotel. BUT, the staff was very helpful and offered to have a King room waiting for us after dinner with all of our bags moved. And, they offered us breakfast to help with the trouble. So, can't argue with that type of service.

After all of this hustle and bustle, we settled in with better expectations and we were fine. I do have to agree that they should wipe out that back building (Lido I believe) all together and rebuild because I have not stayed in a "motel-like" place in quite some time. Maybe 1968. I don't want to sound snobby here but I just don't like rooms that have doors directly to the outside. I feel it to be a security risk.

So, summing this place up... I agree it is not to normal Hyatt standards but based on the value you get, it is "okay" especially for families.

Room Tip: Stay away from the Lido from my perspective. Also, if you are a couple stay away from the pool slid...
2 Thank travelbug185
Fresno, California
Reviewed 30 July 2014

We had reservations for Friday - Monday and had requested a bay view room. The first night none was available, but was given a nice room on the top floor. I got a phone call Saturday AM to state the Bay view room was available and requested permission to move my belongings to the new room. When we arrived back to the hotel, I got the new keys and everything was moved into a nice Bay view room.

Room Tip: The Bay view rooms are quieter as the other rooms face the pool which can be quite noisy.
1 Thank robininfresno
Great Falls, Virginia
Reviewed 28 July 2014

Let me start off by saying that the property is renovated and very pretty. The rooms are average at best, more motel-like than hotel-like, but the property is nice with a par 3 golf course, nice pools, a volleyball court, shuffle board, etc. So the landscape and property is fairly nice but that is where the good stops, and that is certainly not enough to qualify as an acceptable hotel.

The service was good at check-in but plummeted downward like a plane without engine support after that. Here are some examples: I went to the restaurant for breakfast, nobody waited on us as we sat at our table for 30 minutes -- we walked out. I called the for our car valet, there was no answer. I called room service wanting a simple meal, there was no answer. I called the bellman wanting to have our bags retrieved, there was no answer.

Now bear in mind that this string of no answers lasted for more than an hour from 11-noon on a weekday, so we're no talking about a simple mistake here. No, we're talking about a ghost hotel. About a hotel inhabited and apparently serviced by those little white creatures resembling Casper, but not friendly because they are illusory and you can never track them down for assistance. Not my idea of a quality hotel, as I prefer to have actual human beings around to tend to things such as room service, etc.

So the Hyatt Newport is essentially a renovated old motel on a nice property with very little service to office, but with plenty of phones that ring endlessly to no avail. I can't say it is Tower of Terror-like, as I was successful eventually in checking out and moving on to establishments that actually provide service to paying customers, but it is an overwhelmed facility with staff that apparently cannot keep up with the mild mid-week demand of an average crowd of guest.

Room Tip: Stay away from Lido if possible, it is far from having any views and essentially a hub for the gym.
Green Features: This hotel is saving a lot of energy because they have trained all of their staff to never answer phones or to physically wait on customers in restaurants. They quite possibly may be turning off all electricity next, as this will move their environmentally-friendly status to new lofty levels.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
The Duke Hotel Newport Beach
The Duke Hotel Newport Beach
#9 of 17 in Newport Beach
Hyatt Regency Huntington Beach Resort & Spa
Hyatt Regency Huntington Beach R...
#1 of 21 in Huntington Beach
Newport Beach Marriott Bayview
Newport Beach Marriott Bayview
#8 of 17 in Newport Beach
The Resort at Pelican Hill
The Resort at Pelican Hill
#5 of 17 in Newport Beach

Been to Hyatt Regency Newport Beach? Share your experiences!