“Courtesy aplenty & great crab cake!”

Newport Beach Marriott Hotel & Spa
Ranked #6 of 17 Hotels in Newport Beach
California
“Courtesy aplenty & great crab cake!”
Reviewed 20 December 2013

Every face smiles. Ever word courteous and solicitous. This hotel has a can-do staff and a whatever-it-takes to please you code of behavior. The only meal I had was in the bar as the restaurant was reserved for a special event. That said, the crab cake was huge with very little filling -- one of the best this side of Maryland. The resort is right across from a wonderful upscale (you think!) shopping center and yet not far from John Wayne airport. Next time, for pleasure not for business!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
DebbieSnavely, General Manager at Newport Beach Marriott Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 23 December 2013
Dear Guest,

The feedback you provided regarding your recent stay is what every General Manager wants to see! As a seasoned traveler, I’m sure you have experienced service across the spectrum, so I could not be happier with what you have shared. I truly feel our hosts are what set us apart from other hotels in the area. They are all empowered to go above and beyond to make sure each of our guests is completely satisfied and thoroughly enjoys their stay. I’m excited to share your positive comments with them!

I’m also thrilled you got to experience one of our signature menu items at the Sam & Harry’s Lounge. The crab cake has been a staple here for years and I always tell people it’s one of the best they will ever taste. I encourage everyone who dines with us to try one!

Thank you for your kind words and for staying with us. We look forward to welcoming you next time you’re in Newport Beach, hopefully on vacation!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (315)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
The Woodlands, Texas
Reviewed 18 December 2013

We stayed at this hotel a couple of weekends ago on a Saturday night. I was traveling with my family so we had two rooms. The room rates were very reasonable for the area and property. The view from our 7th floor room was spectacular as the room faced the golf course below followed by PCH in the distance followed by the ocean. However, don't get too excited about the ocean; it is quite a distance from the hotel so it's not really a "beach side" or "ocean front" hotel. The one beef I have here (and possibly for that matter at any Marriott) is that I'm a gold member and they would only give us one breakfast coupon for two people. In any case, we ended up going to another famous place for breakfast, called the Beachcomber, which I will review separately.

For those interested in shopping and dining, the fun is in front of the hotel in a large oval area known as the Fashion Island. We didn't have time to explore it in detail, but a walk around proved to be very fascinating and worth it. There are a number of high end retail shops and also a Whole Foods, in case you wanted to bring something back to your hotel room to eat or drink. We bought several large bottles of water for our rooms plus some snacks to much on.

All in all, it is a great place to stay as a base and explore the Newport Beach and surrounding areas. Being a Marriott property, the quality is uniform and there are no surprises, which is always a good thing when traveling with family!

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the golf course and ocean. Higher floors are preferable as you have a better u...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
DebbieSnavely, General Manager at Newport Beach Marriott Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 2 January 2014
Thank you so much for your feedback regarding your recent stay. I’m happy to see you and your family enjoyed your time with us and felt you received a lot of value in the price paid for your stay.

I am sorry to see you were not pleased with the breakfast voucher situation. I can understand the frustration when traveling with family and needing to feed more than two people. Marriott Hotels offer the voucher as a token of our appreciation for our valued and loyal guests, and the limit is in place to maintain consistency with all of our properties. Another way we show appreciation for our Elite Members is by upgrading the rooms when available, so I do hope the ocean view rooms were a nice touch!

I know you have countless hotels with which you can book when traveling, so please know we appreciate you choosing Marriott, and our hotel specifically. I am pleased our hotel lived up to your expectations and hope you will stay with us the next time you are in Newport Beach!
Garland, Texas
Reviewed 13 December 2013

The wifey and I stayed here during a surprise birthday trip for our 10 year old son back in July 2012. The hotel was very nice. The staff was very friendly. They really helped our son enjoy his birthday trip to California. The room we had was very nice. We would stay here again!

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
Dear Guest,

I’m thrilled to hear you and your family had an enjoyable and memorable stay with us! I know you have several destinations from which to choose when planning a summer family vacation, so we really appreciate your business. Your comments regarding the staff truly mean so much because we strive every day to be the friendliest and most hospitable hotel in the area. I’m glad they helped make your son’s birthday extra special. Please come back and visit us again in 2014. We’ll have newly-renovated sleeping rooms and even more for you and your family to enjoy!
Westchester, New York, United States
Reviewed 8 December 2013 via mobile

Although the room was nice, it was small. For what they advertise online, you think you're getting a fancy room with a balcony and beautiful views of the ocean, but you get a tiny room on a floor which has an outdoor hallway and barely an ocean view. It's pretty far from a beach. Really nice if you like golfing but it was too cold for us to play. The parking is a ripoff $21 to park here in outdoor parking? And that's self parking? Highway robbery. Room service was good but way overpriced. No reason to pay $13 for a salad and $30 for an entree in your tiny room. No balcony. There is a sliding door in the room but nowhere to step onto so what's the point?

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
DebbieSnavely, General Manager at Newport Beach Marriott Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 16 December 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback. I’m glad to see you thought your room was nice and well-maintained, but I’m sorry to see its size and view didn’t live up to your expectations based on what you saw on our web site. One of my favorite things about our hotel is the fact 80% of our rooms offer a direct or partial ocean view. It’s a stunning view and one I would love for every guest to experience.

When we have the availability to do so, we always try and put our guests in the best possible rooms even if they may not have selected an ocean-view room when booking their reservation.

In regards to the parking, we do our best to make sure our charges are in line with other comparable hotels in the area. Please know we do have underground parking available that will most certainly protect your vehicle from the elements over the winter months.

Lastly, I’m happy you enjoyed your room service, as one of the things we are complemented on most often is the quality of our food and beverage product. I will pass along the kudos to our culinary team.

My hope is you will stay with us again the next time you are in the Newport Beach so we have the opportunity to exceed your expectations.

Thank you.
Reviewed 3 December 2013

This hotel you cannot beat the location in terms of being close to everything. We had a partial ocean view room which was beautiful to wake up to in the morning. You can walk to Fashion Island, the amazing outdoor mall with great restaurants and shops! Parking is a bit expensive at $21/a night. They are also doing some construction on the property right now. We did not get bothered by any noise or anything. So that was perfectly fine. I hope they are renovating the rooms we were staying in because they need a good little update. The beds were comfortable and the room was clean! We had a great and quick stay.

• Stayed November 2013
Dear Guest,

I am thrilled you enjoyed your stay with us! We take great pride in staff service and cleanliness, so I appreciate your positive feedback in both of those areas.

I couldn’t agree more about the views our sleeping rooms provide. From the Newport Beach Country Club to the Newport Harbor, and all the way out to Catalina Island on a clear day, the view is truly unmatched!

We are currently undergoing a few property beautification projects and a sleeping room renovation. Our goal is to make sure our guests still have an excellent experience despite the construction, so it’s wonderful to see you were not inconvenienced. My team and I are very excited because the hotel is looking its very best!

Thank you for your kind comments. I hope you will stay with us again on your next visit to Newport Beach so you can experience our brand new rooms!

Warm Regards,
Lake Forest, California
Reviewed 23 November 2013 credit card Amex Cardmember Review

Great location for a girls weekend - spa services were fantastic - and many locations for dinner at Fashion Island! We had lunch at the private spa pool - fish tacos were great. We went to Balboa for breakfast - location allows for many choices!!!

Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
Los Angeles
Reviewed 19 November 2013

I was here for a meeting, but was pleasantly surprised. The hotel makes a big effort, especially at top service. Everyone was extraordinarily helpful and cheerful - this was Ritz quality service. The rooms were nice, though this was off-season and there was construction going on (of which, I was warned and I could have chosen a room in another tower). My room did have an ocean view and a nice view of a golf course (in addition to the construction). The parking was super-expensive ($21 for self-parking)

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business