“pleasant hotel near Fashion Island”

Newport Beach Marriott Hotel & Spa
Ranked #6 of 18 Hotels in Newport Beach
Reviewed 19 June 2014

Stayed at the hotel on a recent business trip. While certainly not a new hotel, it is in good condition with quiet, comfortable rooms. Had a very nice suite overlooking Balboa Island and the Pacific. Convenient to Fashion Island and its restaurants. Staff some of the friendliest and most helpful I have ever encountered.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank sazeracker

Reviewed 12 June 2014

Stayed for 3 nights for a meeting. Very comfortable and clean room. Excellent breakfast. Staff is really nice and helpful. Located right next to local mall and walking distance to Balboa Island where I rented a bike and went all the way to Huntington Beach (fantastic ride!). Fitness center has great cardio equipment, but could improve on the weightlifting and has no mats for AB or post work-out stretching (which is ridiculous).

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 7 June 2014

We stayed at this hotel recently while attending a conference in the hotel. It's an interesting hotel with five (?) separate buildings, each somewhat different. The main building (Harbor Pointe) has a set of rooms around a central atrium, but although the rooms have been updated the building is showing its age. We stayed in the tower with the Concierge Lounge (Pacific Pointe), which seemed much newer, and our room had a great view of the golf course and the ocean in the distance.

Our room had a very comfortable bed with feather pillows, comforter, and individual reading lights, a nice desk and chair, a lounge chair, and a small refrigerator. Over the course of our visit the wireless internet was very spotty, with techs first coming out to reboot a router in the hall, then to install a new router in our room, and later to reset something on yet another occasion.

We were attending a conference in the hotel, and the conference facilities were excellent -- comfortable meeting rooms of various sizes, good A/V, and the Sea View Terrace was a great location for evening receptions.

For those who are Marriott Elite members, the Concierge Lounge was very nice (but ask for a room in that tower!). The lounge has a variety of small tables, a couple of arm chairs, and a "bar" style table along the window with a great view. Breakfast included fruits, yogurt, oatmeal, scrambled eggs, bacon, and assorted breads. Evening hors d'oeuvres included cheese and crackers, veggie sticks with ranch dressing, and a couple of hot appetizers. Wines and beers were available for a small charge, desserts were available later in the evening, and coffee, bottled water, and sodas seemed to be constantly available. Unfortunately, our initial impression of the Lounge wasn't great -- our server the first evening wasn't very friendly and was VERY slow to replace empty wine bottles, so much so that some guests gave up waiting for him to return. However, our server for the rest of our visit (Josephina) did a great job and definitely made us feel welcome.

In summary, this is generally a very nice hotel but we did encounter some minor problems.

Room Tip: Harbor Pointe tower seems a bit dated; Pacific Pointe tower is very nice but farther from the lobby.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank walkerbob
Reviewed 4 June 2014

Good place to stay
Should have a contl breakfast at least no place for a light breakfast before departing hotel Banquet food & service were very. Good
Great employees very helpful
At front desk & bell desk

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
1  Thank Gerry360
Reviewed 2 June 2014

The room was bigger than expected. The pool and fitness centers were better relative than other Marriott's (and other hotels) I've been to. Location was close to a mall with lots of restaurants, but not very close to the beach. Do have to pay for internet service.

Room Tip: Try for ocean view on upper floor. Was on the 9th floor, but no ocean view.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Thomas C
Reviewed 2 June 2014

We traveled a GREAT distance for a friend's wedding. Well, not really... Just from Pasadena to Newport Beach :) But we DID get to stay two nights here over Memorial Day Weekend. The service upon checking in and out was great. We hit a couple bumps (all on my end) but the staff handled it smoothly. We were able to stay for $160 a night and I think it was a great value. Rooms were really nice and the bed was pretty darn comfy! Obviously the location was great being on the brim of Fashion Island. We ventured in for shopping, lunch, dinner, brunch and some more shopping. The wedding was fit in there somewhere LOL. If the weather wasn't so overcast, I would've tried out the pool too but it was nice to look at from our room.

One tip for parking:
For lame logistical reasons, we had to take two cars for this trip. This would of costed us a total of $100. I found a tip from someone on Yelp saying that there is street parking RIGHT in front of the hotel's parking lot on Newport Center Dr. It was really easy to find a spot. Just be aware of the parking hours (it's 2 hour parking from 8am-6pm M-F). What we did was make sure our cars were moved by 10am to Fashion Island parking (there weren't overnight warning signs there so maybe you could leave them there? We just didn't want to risk it) and whenever we got the chance, parked them sometime after 4pm. If you're staying over a weekend, you have less car-moving to do. Yes a little bit of a hassle, but definitely worth saving the money. I'm sure if we got parking tickets it would STILL would've been less than what the hotel charges.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank CocoMango83
Reviewed 31 May 2014

I checked in at the hotel on Friday after a long working week. I needed sleep, rest and a good dinner. The girl who checked me in assured me that it was a nice room - and it was indeed. Great view over the golf course and the ocean. What she forgot to tell me was that the room was also very close to large fans on the hotel roof, and that they were on all night. The noise together with a vibrating room refrigerator, turned my beauty sleep into anything but a beauty sleep. I slept for 4 hours and woke up at 04.12am and could not go back to sleep.

As I spoke to Alesha in the reception in the morning, on an other topic and not to complain, she asked how my stay had been so far. When I told her about the noise, she immediately arranged for another room, for my luggage to be moved and were just so incredibly helpful. When I returned after my morning appointment I went to the reception to get the keys to my new room.

I happily went into the room but stopped after just a step or two - there was someone in there, in bed, sleeping! I went back to the reception and realised that I now did no longer have a room, nor did I know where my luggage was!

After several discussions amongst the staff, they gave me a new room, a wonderful and larger room, quiet with a balcony. They also gave me a day pass to the spa AND they just knocked on the door and gave me a bottle of wine and some strawberries, free of charge.

I recognise they made a couple of mistakes, but the team certainly made up for it and more. They provided outstanding service, customer care and went above and beyond any expectation I ever had. I will continue to remain a loyal Marriott customer thanks to Joel Landrus and the team. Thank you for making my stay absolutely wonderful!

PS. Hotel and food is really nice, pool area great, view fantastic and area great for shopping and dining

Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo