“Great and expensive” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #6 of 17 Hotels in Newport Beach
Sarasota, Florida
“Great and expensive”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2014

This hotel offered a lot and a lot within walking distance! The location and close proximity to the Fashion Island Mall gives you tons of dining options, not to mention the SHOPPING. You're less than 10 minutes to the Newport Beach peninsula, and only 15 minutes to Huntington Beach.

There're two swimming pools for guests and an additional, smaller pool for those using the hotel's spa services. There is a Starbuck's just off of the main lobby, with a friendly staff.
Lots of areas to sit and relax or have a drink throughout the hotel property. A few spots even have ocean views.

The room was nice! Just enough room for the two of us. The golf course to the rear of the proterty just about guarantees a quieter environment than most other hotels in the area can offer. The toiletries provided were a nice touch. Parking was not horrible but not great. If your room is in the main tower, it's a bit of a walk. The $25 per night hurts a little.

Room Tip: Try to get a room in the main tower. You will have a better view. Although it will be farther away f...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Betsy1221

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (307)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2014

The Newport Beach Marriott Hotel & Spa is about everything you would expect from a Marriott. It is clean and updated with attentive service and friendly people in all of the service areas. We were there on a Thursday and Friday night and the hotel was busy with several business events during the day and weddings and social gatherings in the evening. The service level remained high, but lines for reception, valet and bellhop required a wait. The hotel bar is nice and was lively on Saturday night. There is an option to park your own car which is not true at all hotels in Newport Beach. I really enjoy the lemon/cucumber water in the lobby, but would recommend that they stock the glasses later into the evening. If you're not attending a function in the lobby, having a room a few floors up is advised so you are not bothered by the noise. Also, there is construction just adjacent on one side of the hotel so a room on the other side of the hotel is advised if you wish to sleep in. Fashion Island is across the street for some great shopping.

Room Tip: Stay away from the construction if you wish to sleep past 8:00.
1 Thank Lisa G
Exeter, CA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 July 2014

I stayed here for a conference in July 2014. The service was good, the location was great. My only concern is that California is in drought status and there seemed to be no concern about conserving water. Towels that were hung up (which usually means - I'll use again), were replaced with fresh towels. Normally I would like this, but with the drought in CA, I thought this was a bit thoughtless. I would stay here again,.

Room Tip: There could be bands playing by the pool. If you want a quiet room, ask for rooms away from pool.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Chesterfield, Missouri
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 July 2014

Just spent two nights at this Marriott. At check in on 7/22 the young woman with long blonde hair was more than rude when we were checking in. She could not locate our second reservation and was less than accommodating and actually very Rude! After then waiting in line another 30 min and working with another attendant, our reservation was found. Not enough help in lobby area at all. No bellman or anyone came up to us to offer any type of help. Stayed in room 1501 and it had an awful smell. Paid for the concierge lounge and it was over crowded both mornings. Headed back this week for business and will NOT be staying at this Marriott.

Room Tip: Room 1501. Beautiful view, terrible smell
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
6 Thank 3Tracer12
DebbieSnavely, General Manager at Newport Beach Marriott Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 25 July 2014
Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay. I sincerely apologize for the lack of service you experienced. My number one priority is to make sure our associates take care of the guests, and the situation you encountered is unacceptable. I will look into this matter further and make sure appropriate action is taken. I will also make sure room 1501 is cleaned and inspected so as to remove any odors. Please contact me directly so we can discuss how we may earn back your business.
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2014

Stayed here recently for 4 days so we could discover the OC beaches and also visit Disney.

The hotel is obviously an older property that has been pretty'd up on the outside. You can tell by the hotel room, building and the pool area that it's an older property (which is fine).

Pool area is nice and clean. Rooms are a bit on the small side.

Here are my gripes:

- The bar next to the main restaurant was so LOUD I couldn't hear myself think. Any particular reason you need FOUR flatscreen TVs blasting noise in a small bar with no carpeting etc is beyond me. I didn't even stay to order a drink.

- This is a big conference hotel. I felt like I was almost in the way half the time of conference delegates racing around from lobby to outside and back.

- The huge central atrium (which all rooms surround) is used for conferences and functions including microphone/speakers/loud music. There's not escape from the noise.

- Biggest gripe: one night they had live music playing until 11pm....OUTSIDE. We couldn't get to sleep until well after midnight as our child was so upset.

I'm all for live music but keep it inside where noise can be contained.

It's a nice hotel but it's nothing amazing. Proximity to Fashion Island is obviously a plus.

2 Thank sydneygirl78
DebbieSnavely, General Manager at Newport Beach Marriott Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 24 July 2014
Thank you for choosing our hotel for your Orange County & Disney vacation! I am glad you were pleased with our location and got to enjoy the pool. It’s one of my favorite spots on property to enjoy this fantastic summer weather! Like most hotels in the area, summer is the most active time of year, and that means we welcome those on vacation as well as those travelling for business. The team works very hard to make sure each individual guest has an exceptional experience, and I am sorry if we failed to provide that for you. The music should not have played past 10pm, so I will take that back to the appropriate departments to make sure we fix that moving forward. I hope you will give us another opportunity to exceed your expectations.
Littleton, Colorado
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2014

Not sure where to start! Have been a repeat customer at this location for years! We came for a personal family trip. Checked in for one night before heading to Santa Barbara. We had two rooms. My teenage daughter left 3 new dresses in the closet at checkout. When we came back one night later to the hotel we asked about our daughter's lost dresses. We spoke to management on several different times during our next two night stay to no resolve about the missing dresses. We understand that it was our mistake to leave our personal belongings behind. It is also another issue of trust with the hotel staff. We had several issues at this hotel in addition to missing items...another with the elevator being broken, another with our room not cleaned during our stay. We will never stay at this hotel again.

Room Tip: Be sure to use the safe for any belongings you care about or want to return home with
4 Thank TrojanGal
I am very disappointed to hear about the issues you encountered during your stay last week. I regret that any guest would feel this way about our hotel’s staff, as I have the utmost confidence in our associates’ integrity and honesty. I know you have been in contact with our Director of Rooms Operations and Loss Prevention, and I am also more than happy to speak with you should you like to discuss the matter further. Please contact the hotel and ask for me personally. I do not take your loyalty to our hotel lightly and hope we can find a way to regain your trust so that you can continue staying at our hotel in the future.
Chandler, Arizona
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2014

After being told that the "ocean view" room we reserved was not available and the hotel would not make an adjustment in the cost for room without a view (that cost significantly less) we trudged off to find a small room that was not comfortable. One desk chair was the only place to sit. At 3 am two guests started screaming in the hallway and then about 20 minutes later started breaking plates and glasses in the concrete hallway. I know the hotel can't control its guests, but when I stuck my head out the door to make sure that someone wasn't being hurt, I was told by a Marriott staffer in a loud, rude voice to "get back inside your room," as if I was the problem! No apology from either the staffer or the security guard that had been summoned. This noise went on for about an hour and we were not able to get back to sleep at all. When I spoke with the front desk personnel later that morning hoping to at least get an apology if not an adjustment to the bill for a less than restful night, all I got was, "Oh yeah, I heard about that [incident].

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Jim H
First, I would like to apologize for the unpleasant stay you had at our hotel recently. It sounds like your problems began with check-in and continued throughout. That is certainly not reflective of our high standards of service and guest experience. I would like to personally connect with you to discuss your stay in further detail. Please call my office at (949) 729-3522. Thank you for your feedback and I hope we will be able to serve you again in the future.