“Economic, comfortable, all the amenities, and ideal for birders”

Newport Channel Inn
Ranked #11 of 18 Hotels in Newport Beach
Reviewed 23 January 2014

You may think that because it's $50 cheaper than the motel up the street, it lacks amenities. But it had them all. The rooms are large, clean, and comfortable. 3-way lamps, daily maid service, Wi-Fi. Three great restaurants, the beach, and an estuary where I spotted nine species of birds on a short walk are all within easy walking distance. Plenty of parking!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank phil&dot

Reviewed 9 January 2014

My husband and I have been to this hotel a few times. We even brought friends because we enjoyed it so much. The rooms are clear and the manager is very helpful and attentive. The location is great if you like to be near more private beaches, which are just a 2 minute walk away. It's a nice bike ride to the main Newport piers, and a quick drive to the popular restaurants. We'll be back with the family.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Joanne R
Reviewed 27 December 2013

I found this hotel through reviews on Tripadvisor and just stayed 4 nights here for the Christmas Boat Parade, and am so glad I did! This hotel really exceeded my expectations in every way, especially for the reasonable rates, and I plan to go back. Its location is very convenient, on the quieter side of Newport Beach and close to the beach. I'd read that the neighborhood had looked sketchy and was a little concerned (as a single woman), but found it to be a perfectly safe area.

The room was very clean and quiet (I stayed in a back room) and had everything I'd need. It was warm enough the first night to need AC, and that amazingly, worked well, was quiet and did not blow right on my face all night, like I've found in a lot of cheaper hotels.

Best of all was the warm, relaxed and helpful service I got. Glenn, who checked me in, was helpful above and beyond what I would expect, and Brad and the manager both gave me lots of helpful advise. It's a great bonus that they have beach chairs and blankets to borrow. They are across Hwy 1 and a couple of rows of homes from the beach, which is amazing! Access to Balboa peninsula and island are very convenient as well. Newport Beach is such a wonderful town, with great food choices and amazing beaches and fun events, and I'm happy to find such a good place.

My one small negative is that I did find the bed too soft and ended up with a backache one night, but that might just be my back. The price was definitely the selling point, but the value, friendly service and convenience will be bring me back!

Room Tip: rooms towards the back are further from Hwy. 1 and quieter
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Traveler5459
Reviewed 27 December 2013

We only stayed here one night because we came to Newport a day earlier than planned but we were pleasantly surprised by how clean and welcoming the motel is. The staff at the front desk were very helpful and the room was nice. Best part is that it is only one block from the beach! This is a great place for families to stay.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 December 2013 via mobile

The owners were wonderful and really went the extra mile! The room was clean and intuitive. Small fridge microwave coffee maker. Comfy pillows and sheets. Traveled with 3 adults and 3 year old twins and a 2 year old...they had sand toys for the beach (just a short walk away) and beach chairs. Definitely would come back to stay.

Stayed: December 2013
1  Thank Julia H
Reviewed 4 December 2013

I have stayed at this small older motel several times in the past it is relatively inexpensive and only a short walk to the beach. This stay the room was clean, however the front desk staff are not very friendly and you often have to wait at the check in desk for someone to come out from the back living area. Upon my check out at 8:30am not too early I found the front office door locked, however the little side door to the back office living area was open and I found several people all in sleeping bags passed out along with numerous empty beer cans. Apparently they partied all night and they were hard to wake up. The only reason I wanted to be let in was the hotel offers cheaper tickets for Disneyland than you get at the park. The man who came to the office was very apologetic, and said his alarm did not wake him up. Overall this is a nice place to stay if you plan on spending most of your day at the beach.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank lydia m
Reviewed 16 October 2013

Stayed here 3 nights in September and it served the purpose of being in an area to explore. We had a back room so it wasn't as noisy as some have stated and it was clean. The guys/girls in the office were very nice to deal with and yes they were young but had some good suggestions for us on where to go. Getting to the beach was a breeze! There are a couple of restaurants within walking distance for breakfast, lunch and dinner. If you want a cold beer sandwich or pizza I suggest Big Belly Deli that you can walk to. The staff was great and pizza good. You can grab a sandwich to bring to the beach.

Room Tip: I'd go with second floor in the back next time around. Although we were in the back and it wasn...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple