“A room without a view”

Ranked #9 of 17 Hotels in Newport Beach
North Vancouver, Canada
“A room without a view”
Reviewed 27 October 2013

We spent three days at the Fairmont Newport Beach as part of our Southern California vacation and overall found our stay to be quite pleasant, with the exception of our room, which had a less than desirable view overlooking the roof and a satellite dish. The general manager of the hotel has gone to great lengths to make sure we won't have any issues next time we visit, which is wonderful as we had specifically requested a view room as it was our anniversary. We have been very pleased with the Fairmont's commitment to their guests and the steps they have taken to make sure our concerns are met. We will definitely return next year to celebrate our anniversary at one of our favourite hotels.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
FairmontNewportBeach, Online Marketing Manager at The Duke Hotel Newport Beach, responded to this review, 6 November 2013
Thank you for sharing your recent experience at the hotel. While I'm sorry to hear you were disappointed with your room, I'm happy to hear of your experience with our GM. We feel we differentiate ourselves on our service, so it's great to hear guests' appreciation. Thanks again and we look forward welcoming you back for your anniversary next year.
lucas.schumacher@fairmont.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (250)
  • Korean first
Reviewed 21 October 2013

This was a nice place and very friendly and helpful staff. Bed was great, room was good and the coffee was excellent in room. The valet service was good, although pricey. Just a short 1-2 mile drive to the beach and very close to Orange County airport. The fitness center was fantastic.

The reason for 4 instead of 5 stars is the fact that when I went to the business center to print my flight boarding passes, the charge was $3 just to access the internet and another $1.50 to print a page. For the money for the hotel and the price to park, eat, etc. I feel business services should be included.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank SRaskie
FairmontNewportBeach, Online Marketing Manager at The Duke Hotel Newport Beach, responded to this review, 22 October 2013
Thank you for commenting on your recent stay with us. It sounds like you had a great time and found our location central. We strive to provide excellent service and I know our team will be thrilled to hear of your experience! Excellent service can definitely separate a great stay from a good one. I can appreciate your frustration with the business service charge and hopefully that didn’t diminish too much from your experience overall. Thanks again and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.
YYC
Reviewed 20 October 2013

Close to John Wayne. Nice location to Balboa Park, Shopping and my favourite spot - IHOP. they have a shuttle that takes you all over. The coffee shop has a good soup , but the morning B'fest is awesome and the rooms plus the Gym. Great hotel, Great price and good relaxation spot!!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Thank you for your kind words. I'm pleased to hear you enjoyed the hotel and found our location ideal (and close to IHOP). I look forward to sharing your words with the team and welcoming you back in the near future.
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 19 October 2013

The faucet in our shower blew off the wall when we turned it on, was on hold for 10 minutes when we called front desk to report, had to move rooms, waited 15 minutes at the desk for a new room key while others easily checked in. Waited 15 minutes for car late at night while valet staff sat around and made lewd jokes (very awkward and creepy as a woman waiting alone for her car), also had to ask a second time before I got my car. Was woken up at 7am by a a member of staff outside our door for 10 minutes talking on their walkie talkie at full volume. Nice hotel but service was very slow and valet guys need to clean up their act.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Thank you for commenting on your recent stay with us. I'm very sorry to hear of numerous issues you experienced. I can imagine the frustration you experienced while waiting for your new room, but hopefully the room was up to your standards. I also apologize for the inappropriateness of your interaction with the valet staff. I would like to get some more information about this in particular so if you would email me at: lucas.schumacher@fairmont.com I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks again and I eagerly await your response.
Leeds
Reviewed 19 October 2013 via mobile

Comfortable hotel but complacent staff. Nice- ish hotel but not a great location.
This hotel caters for the business community who are on an expense account!! Don't get me wrong. I'm very happy to pay for quality but this felt more like charging for charging sake.

The good:
- very clean and comfortable room (but expected in a 4+ * hotel).
- we only ate breakfast in the dining room but it was good. Buffet and al la carte was good
- some of the valet staff were attentive and polite. One if the concierge ladies was also helpful.

The not so good:
- generally the service wasn't great. From the staff on reception to restaurant to housekeeping it was complacent at best. We asked for extra pillows and to have the remote control fixed. Neither happened. On one occasion staff at reception finished a personal chat before helping me out.
- the dining room setting is very austere.
- expensive valet parking $27 per day plus a tip each time you got the car out. There is no option to self park.
- wifi is not free anywhere in the hotel. The charge is $10.95 per day per device. We had 4 devices so the charge would have mounted up. It was cheaper for us to use our UK network - madness!!!! In the current technology age, I think free wifi is a given in most hotels.
- the hotel is noisy. It's so close to the airport that sitting by the pool is not a pleasure able experience which was a shame as the setting was lovely. There was constant noise of low flying small noisy planes as well as larger ones too. You need to play loud music in personal headphones to drown it out!
- if you like to walk out to a local restaurant/bar then this hotel is not for you. The hotel will provide a free shuttle to anywhere in a 2 mile radius (again fairly standard) but we felt 'hemmed in'. The hotel is in the middle of industrial/business location.

I doubt we will return to this hotel even on business.

Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay with us. It sounds like your stay was positive overall but you experienced a number of challenges as well. I’m pleased to hear you found nice and comfortable. We pride ourselves on our service, so I’m disappointed to hear you found our staff complacent. I apologize for the issues related to the remote and pillows, there is no excuse for that failure. I did want to mention members of our Fairmont President’s Club loyalty program receive complimentary WiFi amongst other benefits, so I apologize if you weren't made aware of this. I hope that these issues aside you would be willing to return and allow us the opportunity to give you the experience you deserve.
Tucson, Arizona
Reviewed 19 October 2013

I enjoyed my first stay at this fine Fairmont hotel. I was initially impressed with the location and the way the hotel is situated on beautifully landscaped grounds. Check in was easy and the lobby area was spacious and comfortable. I had a room on one of the higher floors facing the pool area below. The room was nicely decorated, well equipped with coffee maker, refrigerator etc.
I was entertaining family members so we were able to try the restaurant several times for breakfast and dinner. All of our meals were a shade above the usual and offered some interesting options. Their menu includes items designed for those guests on special diets which I thought was very accommodating.
We used the pool area and were early enough to capture one of the pool-side cabanas to shade ourselves while the children played in the water. This was during the summer season so things were busy and the pool seemed a bit small for the number of guests. Pool-side service was quick and efficient from both the bar and kitchen.
My room rate included parking and breakfast which proved to be a nice deal. I can say that this resort does not charge a daily resort fee like some do, so you have that small benefit too.
Overall, my experience was very good and I would easily recommend to hotel to others.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
Thank you for commenting on your recent stay with us. It sounds like you had a great time with us and were able to experience many different aspects of the property. I’m pleased to hear you enjoyed your room and the view of the pool area. We are very proud of our pool and fitness center and it’s always nice to hear guests’ appreciation of the area. I’m also pleased to hear you were able to book a nice package through our website. Guests may or may not know that this is always the best place to find our best deals. Thanks again for your kind words and we look forward to welcoming you and your family again in the near future.
Lincolnwood, Illinois, United States
Reviewed 18 October 2013 credit card Amex Cardmember Review

Convenient location, easy to get to/from SNA. Attentive staff, great valet service. Good food. Spacious rooms and nice pool area, with good poolside food service. I stay here 3-4 times a year when I have business in Irvine/Newport Beach. Never had a bad experience. Very consistent service.

Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
Thank you for commenting on your recent stay with us and for being a loyal guest. We value all guest feedback, and particularly from such a seasoned traveler as yourself. As you mentioned we are very centrally located with convenient access to the airport as well as local businesses. We pride ourselves on our service, so I'm thrilled to hear you find ours consistently good. Thanks again for your kind words and we look forward to welcoming you back again.