“Old, Worn, Dated”

The Duke Hotel Newport Beach
Ranked #10 of 18 Hotels in Newport Beach
Reviewed 9 December 2013

I decided to priceline a room, for a spur of the moment date night with my husband. I tried getting a 4 star room and the Fairmont was selected. I was a little wary after reading past reviews but tried to go with an open mind. We decided to upgrade our room to a junior suite for $50 since we tried to make the night extra special. The walk to the room was a little weird. Our room was in a little corridor which was next to one other room. Upon entrance, we came upon the bathroom, which was nice with the typical granite countertops. The table in the bathroom was a little worn and dated. We walked into the room itself and was terribly disappointed. Not what you would expect from a 4 star, let alone a suite. The only thing it had going for it was that it was a larger room. All the furniture was dated and worn. Wallpaper was peeling off. Carpeting had holes. Walls and furniture had stains. Phone was dusty. Also there were no outlets near the bed. I found one very ugly metal pole outlet hidden behind one of the outdated curtains.

Since we had arrived later in the night, we decided just to call it a night. In the morning, I was awakened early because of the noise from all the planes taking off from the airport. Also the black out curtains wouldn't stay shut so light kept peeking through. My husband and I decided not to prolong our stay any longer and packed our stuff and checked out early.

We did file a complaint with the front desk staff who was kind and accommodating. We showed them the pictures of all the problems with the room. Even they couldn't dispute how substandard that room was. They agreed to reverse the charges on the junior suite upgrade and we weren't charged for valet service.

Room Tip: Request something not facing the airport
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank pnayblue3372
FairmontNewportBeach, Online Marketing Manager at The Duke Hotel Newport Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 11 December 2013

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent experience at the hotel. Candid guest feedback is essential to our improvement as a hotel, so we certainly value yours. While I'm pleased to hear you chose to spend your date with husband with us, I'm very troubled to hear of your experience. There is certainly no excuse for the condition of your room, so for that I apologize. I am happy to hear we were able to deal with some of the issues while you were on property. Hopefully these issues aside you would be willing to return and allow us the opportunity to give you the experience you deserve. If I can be of further assistance please do not hesitate to contact me directly.

There are newer reviews for The Duke Hotel Newport Beach

Reviewed 6 December 2013

The grounds and lobby of this hotel are certainly impressive. Staff were very helpful; the guy who brought my breakfast even found some duct tape and helped me fix a wheel falling off my suitcase! And the breakfast was excellent. I was thus a bit surprised that the furniture in my room was looking a bit shabby, with scuff marks, varnish coming off, doors hanging unevenly. My room windows looked out onto a partial roof, where there was a fair bit of trash, discarded cigarette butts, etc. This slightly spoiled that grand ambience. Overall, a pleasant stay.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business

Thank you for your kind words about the hotel. We pride ourselves on our service, so I'm thrilled to hear of your experience. It's also great to hear the story of the bellman helping to fix your wheel. Touches like these are what can separate a good stay from a great one. I'm sorry to hear of the condition the furniture in your room. If you would be willing to share more information about your room, I'd love to have engineering take a look. Thanks again and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed 24 November 2013

We stayed here for a week over the summer of 2013. It is a very comfortable place to stay, located conveniently to SNA, with a free shuttle to the airport, South Coast Plaza and Fashion Island.

We were upgraded to a suite, which was spacious. Breakfast was included and was very good.

A useful tip: enroll in the Fairmont Presidents Club for free, and get free wifi for your stay. Very much worth it.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that doesn't face the pool, since they have events there that can get loud.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
FairmontNewportBeach, Online Marketing Manager at The Duke Hotel Newport Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 26 November 2013

Thanks for taking the time to comment on your recent stay at the hotel. It sounds like you had a nice stay with us and found our services and amenities useful. I’m pleased to hear you were upgraded to a suite, I’m sure that was a welcome surprise! Thanks again and we look forward to welcoming you for your next trip.

Reviewed 7 November 2013

Room service was excellent, food was great and definately made up for many other things that were not expected in a $300/night place. Had we not had a seventy dollar a day food credit though, I would say the food was great but it should be when you drop $71 on breakfast.

Noise and a room that sounds closed was an issue for us. The airport is right across the street but it sounds like its on your patio. Had there been no flight restrictions on the airport from 11pm to 7am, this would have been fully unacceptable. Still, even after hours, the other rooms doors slamming were loud and so was the street traffic like harley's and trucks going by. Again, with all the doors and windows closed, it was amazingly loud even on the 8th floor. Personally I can think of a motel 6 in NJ that was nearly on the runway but was sealed up amazingly well so I know it can be done, they clearly just haven't tried.

Room decor and bedding and such... pluses were great sheets, a great matress and awesome pillows... minuses were the room having one robe when we reserved for two of us, the room having one chair to sit in, and no table or chairs which even a basic room in say Vegas will provide. The one person style of the suite was honestly baffling, but I gave the fluffy robe to my wife and wrote it off as close enough since I can live without a robe.

The Spa at Amedaus is not even worth half a star. Nearly two hundred each for a 90 minute massage that was not even up to par with the job you get at the asian places with the bars on the ceiling of the room. There is no spa there, the hotel pool is outside on the say to the 'spa' and there are no facilities whatsoever, unless you think a spa is simply a large bathroom with a sauna. I used to think places like Glen Ivy were just so-so but I've come to find that place is way more spa than places like this, we dropped the better part of 5 bills and should have skipped it entirely. Again, a trip to a strip mall for sixty an hour would have gotten us a real massage and over three hundred left over to keep or spend or go out to sushi with. A total waste, avoid.

The front desk was friendly, the concierge was helpful, the staff was friendly. If you sign up for the presidents club you can get free WiFi, but I also totally get the other reviews where they feel nickel and dimed at every turn. To think they would accept eleven bucks a day just for wireless is unreal, until you surf thru the pay per view movie offerings that average about $17 each. We arrived with a goal to stay in bed for three days, live on room service and order PPV and basically since there was a DVD player in the room, we bailed for dinner, hit the redbox and bought some microwave popcorn which, by the way if you ask they will bring a microwave up to your room so again, pluses and minuses.

I'm not the sort to write online reviews and all this, but after dropping about a G on the entire trip I feel obligated to share what we saw. If you book here, definately pick something like the bed and breakfast package since part of that deal will be a food credit that should cover a meal a day at this, a very spendy joint.

Room Tip: Get something facing south, the opposite side of MacArthur Bvld.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Gary D
Reviewed 2 November 2013

From the exterior, this property has appealing architecture and beautifully landscaped grounds. Once inside though and past the lobby, this changes to one of disrepair and poorly trained staff. The common areas were quite unkempt.

We have stayed at this property in the past and thought we would give it another chance. We were very disappointed. Little has changed over the years.

We travel regularly for pleasure and stay approximately 70 nights a year in a variety of hotels from Hilton, Starwood all the way up to the Viceroy , Ritz Carlton, and Four Seasons. We know what to expect at each price point and felt that we did not receive fair value at this property.

The room that we were given on the first night was unacceptable. The noise was so loud from the generators and fans outside the window that the room felt as if it were vibrating. We had a similar experience on a previous stay and as a result connected with the reservations manager prior to our visit to request a quiet room on a different wing away from this equipment. I simply cannot understand how our request was overlooked when our room was assigned. We know that we cannot be guaranteed a specific room but in this case there appeared to have been no attempt at accommodating our request. On the second night we were moved to the wing we had requested. This location was much better except for the planes taking off from 7am at John Wayne airport. If the sliding doors closed properly this would likely eliminate much of the noise.

Some of the rooms are worn and in need of an upgrade. The standard room we were given on the first night following our displeasure with the noisy suite was in much better condition than the suite we were given on the second night of our stay. It seems as if there have been no renovations or upgrades in years even though other reviewers indicate receiving an upgraded room. The blackout curtains in our room were so disintegrated and full of holes that they looked like a doily. The heating/air conditioning units rattled and smelled foul. We opened the windows instead. The bathrooms were the only part of the suite that met our expectations for a Fairmont.

Housekeeping was inconsistent and lacking. Dirty glasses were removed and not replaced, an empty tissue box was not replaced even though we left it out for the housekeeper to see, and we noticed that there were no recycling bins in the room at all. We struggled with getting feather pillows in each room we were assigned over the weekend only to have housekeeping remove them from the bed after their service. Admittedly when issues were raised, staff was quick to respond.

The breakfast buffet was very weak in its offerings and in its preparation. We have enjoyed other buffets in the area (for example the Hilton South Coast Plaza). The Fairmont's was inconsistent in preparation and service. Restaurant staff definitely needs more training for the caliber of this hotel.

The valet and front desk staff though are the shining stars of this property. They were always courteous and very efficient.

As mentioned, we are regular travellers and have high expectations of properties like the Fairmont. To say that we were disappointed is an understatement. We would not have been at all surprised had we been compensated for the first night stay given the issues with our suite. That offer was never made nor was any offer extended for a future stay. Either would have been a welcome gesture of goodwill. There was no follow-up response from management to an email outlining our disappointment with the property.

Room Tip: Ask for a renovated room if one exists. The suites are not worth the extra $$$ and are in noisy loca...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ywgtravellers
FairmontNewportBeach, Online Marketing Manager at The Duke Hotel Newport Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 6 November 2013

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay with us. We welcome all guest feedback but particularly from seasoned travelers such as yourselves. I’m very disappointed to hear of your experience overall, particularly since some of the issues from your last stay were not corrected. As you mentioned, while we can’t guarantee specific rooms, we definitely are able to accommodate requests such as yours and I apologize we failed to do so. I would like to put you in touch with the general manager so that he might be able to discuss your stay at greater detail. If you would email me at: lucas.schumacher@fairmont.com I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks again for your feedback and I anxiously await your response.

Reviewed 31 October 2013 via mobile

Stayed here on a business trip. They have a shuttle that picks up from the airport. Friendly staff, fast check in and nice lobby. The rooms look like they have been recently updated. My first room had an issue with the toilet running so I switched. The next room the air conditioner/heating was loud and didn't seem to work well. The restaurant was good. They have a small buffet for breakfast. I might have missed omelettes or waffles as it didn't seem to have them. If not, the buffet was a bit expensive for the limited choices. Overall a nice enough stay.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business

Thanks for taking the time to comment on your recent stay at the hotel. It sounds like you had a nice stay with us and found our services and amenities useful. I’m pleased to hear you found our staff friendly and efficient. I apologize for the issues you experienced with your initial rooms, but it sounds like that was resolved relatively quickly. Thanks again and we look forward to welcoming you for your next business (or pleasure) trip.

Reviewed 31 October 2013

I stayed at this hotel while on vacation traveling through California. I only had the opportunity to stay one night. The hotel had that "Grand Hotel" feeling and the room were very nice. The coffee in the room was a Kuerig which you do not see everyday. The bar area was very nice and had great service. I did not use the pool area but it looked very nice. I would stay here again.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends

Thank you for commenting on your recent stay with us. It sounds like you had a great time and found our property full of useful amenities. We strive to provide excellent service and I know our team will be thrilled to hear of your experience! Excellent service can definitely separate a great stay from a good one. Thanks again and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.