“Poor experience, Poor Property”

The Duke Hotel Newport Beach
Ranked #10 of 18 Hotels in Newport Beach
Reviewed 9 May 2014

I was really looking forward to staying at the Fairmont hotel with my wife for her birthday. I was really disappointed with the pricing during our room service excursion. The staff could not ascertain the difference between the 3-Course Meal price and the Individually Priced items on the menu. The Valet experience was less than desirable as well. I have never seen it so clustered and disorganized. Just let people park their own care and not make them stand around for 1/2 an hour and charge them $20 for overnight parking. Geez. It is not Downtown LA and hard to find parking. It felt too much like a nickel and dime operation.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Calvenn S
FairmontNewportBeach, Online Marketing Manager at The Duke Hotel Newport Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 12 May 2014

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay with us. I regret to hear of your displeasure with the property and your experience with the staff. We pride ourselves on service and clearly we fell short in your case. I'm also sorry you felt you were nickel and dimed. We aim to provide great value and I apologize that we failed to do so. I hope that you would be willing to return and allow us the opportunity to give you and your wife the experience you deserve.

Reviewed 9 May 2014

With a military discount (valid ID) you can get a great rate, gorgeous hotel and friendly staff. Room was spacious and clean complete with a Keurig coffee maker and mini fridge to store your own water. Room service has super healthy options. I miss the previous menu which had a huge selection of juice bar type drinks and smoothies. Call housekeeping so they bring you a fluffy robe. A nice swimming pool and gym are on the 3rd floor. A gift shop has some snacks and souvenirs. A bar/restaurant offers a nice selection of BL&Dinner items. On our last trip we ate at the restaurant and dropped our kids off at the "kids club" where they watched our boys for a few hours. They played games/crafts/ate dinner/had snacks and watched movies. (small fee). Room service was super slow but they made up for it and we got our b-fast for gratis! Location to gorgeous beaches ideal and near Balboa Island where we went whale watching. Bellmen were attentive and super friendly. I wish they had 2 queens instead of double beds. Matresses were a bit stiff. We also went to Disneyland which was only a short 15 min. drive. This is our place to stop and relax whenever we visit the OC.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that is away from vending machines and elevators for a quieter stay. Bring your own w...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family

Thank you for your kind words about the hotel. It sounds like you and your family had a great stay with us and were able to experience much of what the hotel has to offer. As you mentioned we are centrally located with many of Orange County's most desirable attractions located nearby. Thanks again and I look forward to sharing your feedback with the staff.

Reviewed 9 May 2014

This hotel always impresses me with the quality of the accomodations and amenities for the price. It isn't near any attractions or landmarks and is directly across from the airport but if you're looking for a very nice hotel in OC this is a good bet.

5 star rooms, hotel type facilities (health club, bus center, etc), staff that really appears to be trying and decent albeit limited bar and restaurant.

In the immediate area there is really nothing, some fast food and a sports bar a couple of blocks away. Fashion Island is 10 minute drive, beaches not much more. Disney is driveable, we stayed here as a an adult couple and drove up.

I understand the complaints others have had and don't deny some of the issues but I really like this hotel. We stay at Fairmonts regularly and this locations is doing everything they can to maintain Fairmont quality.

Room Tip: There are rooms that have a deck on the outside, tiered portion of the building. Didn't stay in...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
FairmontNewportBeach, Online Marketing Manager at The Duke Hotel Newport Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 9 May 2014

Thank you so much for taking time out of your day to write a review about your stay with us. We are thrilled to hear from such a loyal guest. I will be sure to pass your compliments with the team. We hope to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed 8 May 2014

The bar was full and the staff unhelpfully. I haven't expect that from a Fairmont Hotel. The rooms are okay. The frontdesk was really nice. To stay for One or two nights was okay. It is loud, cause the Airport is near.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Fairmont Hotels & Resorts

Thank you for commenting on your recent stay with us. I'm pleased to hear you found the hotel great and the location convenient. I apologize for the business of the hotel bar. Hopefully that experience didn't spoil your overall perception of the hotel. Thanks again and we hope to welcome you back in the future.

Reviewed 5 May 2014

Lucas, and the folks at the Fairmont treated my bride and I very well on our recent stay for a honeymoon trip. When I let them know ahead of time that we were coming and asked if there was anything special they could do, they exceeded my expectations and went more than the extra mile!

I had reserved a king room, and we were upgraded to a BEAUTIFUL corner suite that had a separate tub and shower, marble flooring, and the largest balcony of any hotel room I've ever seen. I'm truly not stretching the facts by saying you could easily have put 40-50 people on the balcony without any trouble whatsoever! The room featured a mini-fridge, in-room safe, Keurig coffee, separate dressing vanity table for my wife, and 2 plush bathrobes. Finally, we were delivered complimentary chocolate-dipped strawberries as a congratulatory gift:)

The hotel has a nice and well-maintained pool deck area, and more than functional weight and fitness center. The restaurant is tastefully appointed, and the gift shop has a good selection at normal gift shop prices. There are decent areas of safe sidewalks to jog, and the area is super-conveniently located to the airport.

One BIG problem with the hotel involves the daily fiasco of their valet parking. Understaffed and over-priced, there seems to be constant tension with people waiting too long for cars that they are being charged $30 per day to have driven around a corner about 70 yards away. I'm a fan of not being forced to valet park,....let me make the choice myself. Just charge me twenty bucks a day and let me move it around on my own.

That being said, I have to give this place 5 stars nonetheless. I was treated very well, maid service was excellent, desk staff friendly, and the room was dropped down from Heaven! I'm very appreciative of Lucas and the folks at the Fairmont, as they helped to make me and my bride feel very special during our stay!!!

Room Tip: corner balconies are HUGE~
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank damon b

Thanks very much for your extremely kind words about the hotel and congratulations! We are thrilled to hear you chose to spend such a special occasion with us! We aim to turn moments into memories for our guests and it sounds as if we did just that with you. I'm pleased to hear you found the hotel nice and well-appointed. I am sorry to hear of your issues with valet parking. We are constantly reviewing our procedures and will certainly take your feedback into consideration. Thanks again and we look forward to welcoming you and your wife back in the near future.

Reviewed 3 May 2014

I've stayed in a fair amount of Fairmonts (Montreal, quebec being the favorite), but this one simply didn't rank the same. The room looks nice, and the bed is comfortable, that's the expected. Cleanliness was good. But the room's air-conditioning was so loud (room 461) that I wasn't able to sleep in it. It clocked in at over 55db (which is like being in a restaurant with background music).

The parking was $30 / day, internet $10, so the little extras (that come for free with places like the Marriot Residence inn) add up rapidly.

Room Tip: Ask for one where the air-conditioner is not loud.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
FairmontNewportBeach, Online Marketing Manager at The Duke Hotel Newport Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 6 May 2014

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay with us. It sounds like while your stay overall was a positive one, that you experienced a couple of challenges. I'm pleased to hear you found the room nice looking and the bed comfortable, but sorry to hear of the noisiness of the room. I will be sure to forward your feedback to staff and hopefully rectify the situation. Thanks again for your feedback and we hope to welcome you again in the future.

Reviewed 1 May 2014

The tv, phone, jacuzzi, and sauna didn't work.
I rented a phone charger from the front desk and it didn't work...I think it actually ruined my battery. Was with friends that I havnt seen in years and we were paying babysitters a lot more than we spent on the rooms to watch our little one's so we could escape. Ended up a bust. The offered chocolate covered strawberries and 135 off the room charges but this cant make up for the can't get our time back.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank T J
FairmontNewportBeach, Online Marketing Manager at The Duke Hotel Newport Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 2 May 2014

Thank you for commenting on your recent stay with us. I'm disappointed to hear you had a poor experience with us and didn't fully enjoy yourself. I'm sorry for all of the out of service amenities and hopefully you would be willing to return and allow us the opportunity to give you the experience you deserve.