“Delightful Visit - Parking Situation Dreadful”

The Duke Hotel Newport Beach
Ranked #10 of 17 Hotels in Newport Beach
Los Angeles, California
“Delightful Visit - Parking Situation Dreadful”
Reviewed 12 May 2014

I stay 3-4 nights every year at the Fairmont because my daughter goes to the university nearby. I joined the President's Club, which I highly recommend. I reserved the lowest priced room and was upgraded to a suite because of the President's Club membership. Stephanie greeted us at the Front Desk, pre-checked us in and we were in our room immediately when we arrived very, very late after midnight. In the past, we've eaten in the restaurant, enjoyed the bar and the pool. They are all good, but this was a quick one night trip this time.

This could have easily been a 5-star review, but it's not because of their horrible, horrible, parking situation. They are valet-only parking. They charge $20-something a day. They used to park hybrids for free, but now they charge 1/2 price. But that is not my complaint.

If you need to leave the hotel at a certain time, BEWARE. Many a time, we've gotten caught behind a wedding or meeting event getting out and the hotel never seems to staff properly for it. Case in point today, we needed to leave for a 10:45am Mother's Day restaurant reservation close to the hotel. We called down to the valet at 10:10am. When we got down to the valet station and were waiting for about 5 minutes, we noticed all the people were getting their cars before us. We went to the valet desk and said we called down for our car about 10 minutes ago. The valet asked for our valet ticket and then put our keys in with the rest of the people waiting. A lot of good calling down in advance did us! OK, let me ask you, when do people check out of hotels...between 10am and noon, right? The Fairmont seems to have totally missed this point. They only had like 3-4 people working, max. We got to the restaurant at 11:00am. I had to call the restaurant and ask them to hold the reservation - Mother's Day in Newport Beach, no easy task.

I like the Fairmont. The rooms are great, clean and nice. The staff is nice. It's a great value. The location works for visiting my daughter. But I always drive away from the place with a bad taste because of the parking.

Room Tip: Rooms by the pool, event areas, elevators and ice machines can get noisy.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
FairmontNewportBeach, Online Marketing Manager at The Duke Hotel Newport Beach, responded to this review, 12 May 2014
Thank you for commenting on your most recent stay with us and for being such a loyal guest! We love to hear from all guests, but especially from members of our Fairmont President's Club loyalty program. I'm pleased to hear you find the hotel convenient and a great value. I can appreciate your feelings on the parking situation at the hotel. We are constantly reviewing our procedures and will certainly take your (and others) feedback into consideration. Thanks again and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.
lucas.schumacher@fairmont.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (251)
  • Korean first
Santa Ana, California
Reviewed 11 May 2014 via mobile

I stayed here for just one night and everything was top notch. Facilities were great in the meeting room. The room was well appointed with nice smelling toiletries. I had a room on the third floor with not much of a view of anything, but it's near the airport so there is no ocean view to be had. It's very close to the airport and just barely in the city of Newport Beach. It's certainly not your typical airport hotel. It has the feel of a very nice luxurious hotel with very friendly staff. I didn't see the pool or spa, but there are always deals for spa packages on those "deal" sites.

Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Thank you for commenting on your recent stay with us. While we welcome all guest feedback, we are particularly pleased to hear from such a seasoned traveler as yourself. As we pride ourselves on service, it's nice to hear of your particular experiences with the staff. As you mentioned we are located very close to John Wayne Airport and many of Orange County's top attractions. Thanks again and we hope to welcome you back in the near future.
Tehachapi
Reviewed 11 May 2014

Rarely do I get mistaken for a billionaire, but this is one of those times. Ironically, I didn't pick this place because I was here because I am a teacher/coordinator for the preeminent student travel organization in the business, World Strides, to learn more about their program. And it was big and little things...a big thing - Todd the engineer switching out TVs so my son could play his XBox on a TV with HDMI connections (and so I could watch sports on a much better quality TV)...a little thing - free one time use ear buds in the fitness room (plus great machines with TVs built into them)...a big thing - immediately moving us from a room that didn't smell quite right with total efficiency and consideration (sorry unnamed bellhop, you were awesome!)...a little thing - concierge Emily Mueller printing out our discount tickets for Boomers...I could go on and on but I've been told I get too wordy and people start losing interest (ironically by my soulmate of 30 years). And there wer other not so great moments (the disdainful stare of the security guard, under filled jacuzzi and broken freezer in the gift shop with all the melted ice cream), but the bottom line is this was such a magical time (I even picked up a five dollar bill my wife spotted when we went to one of two available smoking areas on the property) that I kept thinking of the perfect day Phil Conners had in Groundhog Day! If that doesn't deserve excellent ratings then nothing does.

Room Tip: Always ask for anything you want respectfully and they will do it if they can.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Thank you very much for your extremely kind words about the hotel. It sounds like you a great stay with us that was made even more special by your interactions with the staff. I'm thrilled to hear of the the personal touches our staff was able to provide and that it made you feel so special. We aim to turn moments into memories for our guests and it sounds as though we did so successfully. Thanks again for your kind words and I look forward to sharing your kind words with the staff. Thanks!
Riverside, California
Reviewed 9 May 2014

Great hotel location to the beach ,shopping and wide range of restaurants. Check in was fast and easy. Our room overlooked the pool and was very quite. Iam a lite sleeper so it was nice not to have to sleep with ear plugs. Pool and pool staff were great with stiff bloody maries made for a great Sunday afternoon.
If I had any complaint it would be the cost of the valet. Knew in advance of the cost but 30$ for Sunday is a bit much. Saturdays our $ 20 which is doable especially with in/out privileges. We are already looking forward to our next stay Thanks again

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Thanks for your kind words about the hotel. We appreciate your kind compliments about the hotel. It is a collective effort of all our talented and engaged colleagues. We appreciate your sharing your experience very much!
Laguna Niguel, California, United States
Reviewed 9 May 2014

I was really looking forward to staying at the Fairmont hotel with my wife for her birthday. I was really disappointed with the pricing during our room service excursion. The staff could not ascertain the difference between the 3-Course Meal price and the Individually Priced items on the menu. The Valet experience was less than desirable as well. I have never seen it so clustered and disorganized. Just let people park their own care and not make them stand around for 1/2 an hour and charge them $20 for overnight parking. Geez. It is not Downtown LA and hard to find parking. It felt too much like a nickel and dime operation.

Review collected in partnership with Fairmont Hotels & Resorts

1 Thank Calvenn S
Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay with us. I regret to hear of your displeasure with the property and your experience with the staff. We pride ourselves on service and clearly we fell short in your case. I'm also sorry you felt you were nickel and dimed. We aim to provide great value and I apologize that we failed to do so. I hope that you would be willing to return and allow us the opportunity to give you and your wife the experience you deserve.
USA
Reviewed 9 May 2014

With a military discount (valid ID) you can get a great rate, gorgeous hotel and friendly staff. Room was spacious and clean complete with a Keurig coffee maker and mini fridge to store your own water. Room service has super healthy options. I miss the previous menu which had a huge selection of juice bar type drinks and smoothies. Call housekeeping so they bring you a fluffy robe. A nice swimming pool and gym are on the 3rd floor. A gift shop has some snacks and souvenirs. A bar/restaurant offers a nice selection of BL&Dinner items. On our last trip we ate at the restaurant and dropped our kids off at the "kids club" where they watched our boys for a few hours. They played games/crafts/ate dinner/had snacks and watched movies. (small fee). Room service was super slow but they made up for it and we got our b-fast for gratis! Location to gorgeous beaches ideal and near Balboa Island where we went whale watching. Bellmen were attentive and super friendly. I wish they had 2 queens instead of double beds. Matresses were a bit stiff. We also went to Disneyland which was only a short 15 min. drive. This is our place to stop and relax whenever we visit the OC.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that is away from vending machines and elevators for a quieter stay. Bring your own w...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Thank you for your kind words about the hotel. It sounds like you and your family had a great stay with us and were able to experience much of what the hotel has to offer. As you mentioned we are centrally located with many of Orange County's most desirable attractions located nearby. Thanks again and I look forward to sharing your feedback with the staff.
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 9 May 2014

This hotel always impresses me with the quality of the accomodations and amenities for the price. It isn't near any attractions or landmarks and is directly across from the airport but if you're looking for a very nice hotel in OC this is a good bet.

5 star rooms, hotel type facilities (health club, bus center, etc), staff that really appears to be trying and decent albeit limited bar and restaurant.

In the immediate area there is really nothing, some fast food and a sports bar a couple of blocks away. Fashion Island is 10 minute drive, beaches not much more. Disney is driveable, we stayed here as a an adult couple and drove up.

I understand the complaints others have had and don't deny some of the issues but I really like this hotel. We stay at Fairmonts regularly and this locations is doing everything they can to maintain Fairmont quality.

Room Tip: There are rooms that have a deck on the outside, tiered portion of the building. Didn't stay in...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
FairmontNewportBeach, Online Marketing Manager at The Duke Hotel Newport Beach, responded to this review, 9 May 2014
Thank you so much for taking time out of your day to write a review about your stay with us. We are thrilled to hear from such a loyal guest. I will be sure to pass your compliments with the team. We hope to welcome you back soon.