“The Fairmont Hotels are usually the best excluding this one.”

The Duke Hotel Newport Beach
Ranked #9 of 17 Hotels in Newport Beach
Pasadena, California, United States
“The Fairmont Hotels are usually the best excluding this one.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 June 2014

We always stay at the Fairmont Hotels when possible. We will continue to stay at this one although it isn't one of their best. The furniture in our suite looked worn and dingy. Alot of the standard rooms have small tub/shower combos. Breakfast in the hotel is just average and offers no atmosphere. It is also the same room where dinner is served. They use the same plastic placements over and over, a practice that I am surprised the health department allows, with our clean utensils placed on top. Having said that, it is a nice hotel compared to many of the other hotels, just not up to the Fairmont usual standards. All the employees are friendly and accommodating.

Room Tip: If a large bathroom is important then you need to book a junior suite or larger.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank AnitaS353
FairmontNewportBeach, Online Marketing Manager at The Duke Hotel Newport Beach, responded to this review, 10 June 2014
Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay with us and thank you for being such a loyal Fairmont customer. Though I'm pleased to hear you will continue to stay with us, I am disappointed to hear you didn't find the hotel up to Fairmont standards. I apologize for the condition of your guestroom and how worn some of the furnishing were. I'd like to get some more information about your particular room and would appreciate if you would email me at: lucas.schumacher@fairmont.com. Thanks again and I look forward to your response.
Lucas Schumacher

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (248)
  • Korean first
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 June 2014

Everything turned out great...nice place. The room was clean had a coffee maker, small fridge and microwave. The only thing is that they ask for $200 deposit at the time of checking in this is beside what you pay for the room and it takes a week for them to deposit back into your account.

• Stayed May 2014
FairmontNewportBeach, Online Marketing Manager at The Duke Hotel Newport Beach, responded to this review, 5 June 2014
Thank you for your kind words about the hotel. We are thrilled to hear you had such a nice time with us. I look forward to sharing your positive feedback with the staff and we look forward to welcoming you back in the future.
Santa Barbara
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 June 2014

This hotel is very close to John Wayne Airport; so I was expecting an "airport" type property. The Fairmont exceeded all of our expectations. Once inside we felt as if we were at a resort. Our junior suite was fabulous. Our family enjoyed the pool area and the food everywhere was delicious. Very convenient location and great shuttle service.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Fairmont Hotels & Resorts

FairmontNewportBeach, Online Marketing Manager at The Duke Hotel Newport Beach, responded to this review, 3 June 2014
Thank you for your kind words about the hotel. I'm very pleased to hear we were able to exceed all of your expectations. It is truly a team effort operating the hotel and I know the staff will be thrilled to hear of your positive experiences. Thanks again and we hope to welcome you back soon.
Liphook, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 June 2014

Fairmont has really disappointing. I read some other reviews and though it would be a great stay. I've enrolled on their "presidents club"as I will ( would) start going to Ca and staying there quite often.
1) The check in experience was really poor. They couldn't find my number, then handed me the keys and it was it. No explanation bout wi-fi, maps, where breakfast was, nothing. A club reception should be a bit better, no? Or even a normal one
2) Club member were supposed to have newspapers, I didn't get any.
3) Breakfast is far from basic. No choice of breads and toasts only if requested. Service was appalling. The waiters would hardly stop at our table to listen to the orders and would often bring everything wrong..

I'm still at the hotel and will stay here all week but wish I could move to another one...

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Thank you for commenting on your stay at the hotel. I'm very troubled to hear of the numerous issues you've experienced thus far during your stay. There is certainly no excuse for the lapses in service you have experienced so for that I apologize. I would appreciate if you could contact me at: lucas.schumacher@fairmont.com so that we might be able to right the wrongs you've encountered and turn your experience around. Thanks again and I anxiously await your response.
San Francisco
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2014

This is the odd duck out of the Fairmont Family. The hotel is very old, the rooms smell of mold and are dirty, the staff is lazy and not knowledgable. If you visiting Newport Beach go to a different hotel!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple

1 Thank Veronika K
FairmontNewportBeach, Online Marketing Manager at The Duke Hotel Newport Beach, responded to this review, 2 June 2014
Thank you for your candid feedback about your stay. I'm sorry to hear you didn't enjoy your time with us and found the hotel below your standards. We pride ourselves on delivering great service, so I'm sorry you found the staff poor. Thank you again for your feedback and I hope that you would be willing to return and allow us the opportunity to give you the stay you deserve.
Pasadena, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2014

First of all I would like to say that, in 2014, people should not be charged $10.95 PER DAY for wifi. In a society that craves information and connectivity, I would expect a hotel that caters to a higher income clientele to offer free wifi. (-2 points)

Second, do not force your guests to pay $18 per night for valet parking and then provide a substandard level of service. (-1 point)

The rooms are ok, for a Hilton or Sheraton but not a Fairmont branded hotel. Save some of your hard earned money and stay down the street at the Hilton.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay with us. I'm sorry to hear your experience was not a pleasurable one. I can certainly appreciate your feelings about lack of self-parking options. Unfortunately due to limited parking real estate the hotel actually owns (and the confusing location), we have made the decision to have valet only. One thing to note; members of our Fairmont President's Club loyalty program receive complimentary WiFi amongst other benefits so I apologize if you weren't made aware of that fact.
Puerto Vallarta, Mexico
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 May 2014

Great facilities and very confortable beds in rooms. Hotel staff is very helpful since the shuttle airport driver, fornt desk and servers at the restaurant bar & lounge. It was a good to be back as this was my second stay at this hotel.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business

Thank Juan Carlos Vil... Y
Thank you for your kind words about the hotel. I'm thrilled to hear you thought so highly of the hotel and I look forward to sharing your feedback with the team. They will be thrilled to hear it. Thanks again and we look forward to welcoming you back.