“Wonderful OC Hotel”

Ranked #11 of 17 Hotels in Newport Beach
Austin, Texas
“Wonderful OC Hotel”
Reviewed 7 August 2014

We stayed at the Fairmont Newport Beach for 3 nights in a 2 Double Bed room. This is a first class hotel in Orange County. All the staff, common areas, and rooms are top notch. We arrived at the hotel arrive 10am and our room was not ready yet, so we left for the beach. Around noon, we got a call from the hotel saying our room (538) was ready and they had placed our bags in our room for us. The room was comfortable and good size, and the beds were nice. The pool area was nice, however the pool itself was a bit small. The pool side staff was great and the food was good as well and fairly priced. The parking at the hotel is only valet and costs $30 per night, which is expected in Southern California for any hotel of quality nowadays. We're Fairmont President's Club members so we received complimentary internet during our stay, which is a nice benefit. Also the fitness center in the hotel was one of the nicest we had seen in hotels recently. The hotel itself could be in a better location. It's very close to John Wayne Airport, and right were Irvine. Newport Beach, Santa Ana, and Costa Mesa meet. If you want to be in Newport Beach near Balboa Peninsula or Corona del Mar, this is not a convenient hotel for you. Overall, for wanting to see all of what OC has to offer, you're not more then 15 minutes to the beach, or to Disneyland or Fashion Island. The only complaint I have about the hotel is that you can hear planes takeoff very loudly at the pool, and sometimes in your room, as well. Would I stay here again? Maybe. It's expensive. If I get a good deal (aka less then $250), then probably.

Room Tip: Get a room the is not on the side of the airport, or pool.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
FairmontNewportBeach, Online Marketing Manager at The Duke Hotel Newport Beach, responded to this review, 11 August 2014
Thank you for your kind words about the hotel and for being a loyal FPC member. While we welcome all guest feedback, we are particularly pleased to hear from such a seasoned traveler as yourself. I'm happy you found the hotel so well-suited to your needs and the staff accommodating. We are quite proud of our fitness center and it's nice to hear you agreed. Thanks again for your kind words and we hope to welcome you back in the near future.
lucas.schumacher@fairmont.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (255)
  • Korean first
Goleta, California
Reviewed 7 August 2014

great open windows, spacious room, nice and clean. air conditioning was leaking into the room and so the ceiling was weird where it was dripping from, like the wallpaper needed to be replaced after the air was fixed.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Fairmont Hotels & Resorts

Thank you for your kind words about the hotel. I'm thrilled to hear you enjoyed your time with us and found the hotel so nice. I look forward to sharing your feedback with the staff and we look forward to your return.
Newport Beach, California
Reviewed 6 August 2014

Fairmont is one of my favorite hotel chains and I feel disappointed to say this Newport Beach property falls short of my expectations for the brand.

1. Service is full of snotty attitude and not openly helpful and accommodating.

2. Room décor and furniture is dated and tired.

3. Our Junior Suite had the oddest room configuration. While it surely had the square footage of a Junior Suite, it contained only the usual furniture of a regular Sheraton room. There wasn’t a couch or chaise – just a chair/ottoman. There was a large wasted open space in the middle of the room.

4. Valet parking seemed disorganized – taking 20-30 minutes to retrieve cars. If you encounter this, do what we did – tip the valet in advance and tell him you have a flight to catch.

5. On an up note, the bathroom in the Junior Suite was very nice. Extra large shower, beautiful tub and lots of marble.

I do not recommend this hotel unless you get a screaming deal on the rate. With a great rate, if you set your expectation for a generic Sheraton/Marriott experience, you’ll leave feeling you got a deal. If you want more luxury, like the Fairmont brand suggests, I recommend the Island Hotel in Newport Beach instead.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank SunshineGirl2929
Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay with us. I'm very sorry to hear we fell short of your expectations. We strive to provide excellent value to all our guests and clearly we failed to do so in your case. As we pride ourselves on service, it's disappointing to hear of your experiences with the staff. I thank you for your feedback and look forward to sharing with the team. I hope you would be willing to return and allow us the opportunity to give you the experience you deserve.
La
Reviewed 5 August 2014

Not good value for the price. Valet only, $30 plus tips. Not located in prime locations, need car to drive around. Have shuttle service, not frequent enough. If you miss the shuttle, wait another min. 30 minutes, or take taxi.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Fairmont Hotels & Resorts

Thank you for commenting on your recent stay with us. We value all guest feedback and appreciate you sharing yours. I look forward to sharing your comments with the team and we hope to welcome you back in the future.
Beverly Hills, California
Reviewed 5 August 2014

This is a first class hotel .c lean and service with a smile.. the best room service ever. delicious and on time and plated beautifully. spa was relaxing and had the 90 minute massage and worth it all. about a three minute drive shoppers heaven. South Coast Plaza .. if you want to go closer to the ocean (hotel not near). It really is only nine minute drive and Fashion Island is there.. this is an open air fab.. Shopping dream. Great food and live music with placebo sit and listen.. Just great...

the only down side to the hotel is not near the beach and across from airport You do NOT hear airport at all so no worries.. the crowds of people at pool is really the only noise you hear..

Room Tip: All rooms are good just know that air condition is loud. Ask if room is new with new TV. they are up...
Green Features: Senstional and the health of going green is great..
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your kind words about the hotel. We are thrilled to hear you had such a nice time with us and found the hotel so well-suited to your needs. As you mentioned we are centrally located to many of Orange County's most desirable attractions as well as John Wayne Airport. Thanks again and we look forward to your return.
FlyersFanInLA
Reviewed 5 August 2014

I recently stayed down in Orange County to see some clients and the Fairmont Newport Beach offered a 4-star option at a fair price. Normally, I stay at Pelican Hill Resort in Newport Coast but that was insanely expensive (close to $1000 per night) thus other options were needed.

Overall, the room was pretty nice and the location was central. The bed was good - like you'd expect from the Four Seasons.

The main problem was with their valet program. They simply don't have it together. They ask you to call 15 min in advance and often your car isn't up. Once, they lost the keys to my Mercedes and the right-out-of-high-school (I am not kidding, that's what they told me) actually yelled at me because SHE lost my key. I really needed some Advil from my golf bag and I wasn't in the mood to be yelled at. My question is: why is such an inexperienced girl working at a key time (5:30 PM) and how does $20 per night in fees with THAT MANY cars not justify a better operation. I am sure there is an investor raking in the $$$ with the property but its how they get a lower star ranking with me.

Other little things like removing the mini bar, not providing a free bottle of water and terrible TV service also add to the 3-star rating.

Overall the place isn't terrible but its not the Four Seasons or even Pelican Hill.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank FlyersFanInLA
Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent experience at the hotel. We value all guest feedback and certainly appreciate yours. I'm very sorry to hear of your negative encounter with the valet team. There is definitely no excuse for that so I sincerely apologize. I've shared your experience with our Director of Operations in hopes that issues like this will be promptly resolved. Thanks again for feedback and hopefully we have the opportunity to welcome you in the future and give you the experience you deserve.
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed 3 August 2014 via mobile

I stayed at the Fairmont Newport Beach last night and had a wonderful time. I checked in very late, 10:30pm and my room was ready, no hassles or guff from the staff. In fact the staff seemed pleased to see me. I was assigned a room on the 10th floor (highest floor available). The view was nothing spectacular just your average city view (this hotel is not close enough to the beach for a beach view).

After I dropped my bag in the room, I went down to the lounge for a beer and a snack. Unfortunately food service had been discontinued prior to my arrival but the very friendly and helpful bartender informed me that the hotel offers a limited menu 24-hour room service. After my beer I proceeded to the room and did indeed order room service. As I was informed by the bartender the menu was limited but it covered all the bases. I ordered the cheese plate and it beat my expectations, three different types of cheese, crustini, figs, assorted nuts and honey. I also ordered Sambucca with my snack and the pour was healthy.

It slept well, the bed and pillows were very comfortable and this hotel had the best black out curtains I have ever used. I awoke and didn't realize that it was daytime, let alone 9:45!

I opted to have breakfast at the restaurant downstairs. They offer a buffet as well as a made to order menu. I chose the buffet as it was well apportioned. Everything was delicious with the sole exception of the Eggs Benedict (it was dry and hard English muffin). They offer free copies of the NY Times in the restaurant area.

I had the opportunity to use the fitness center and was pleasantly surprised. It was larger than most hotel fitness centers and had a plethora of equipment. The only minor disappointment was the lack of a sauna, not that most hotels have sauna facilities but it would have been a nice touch. I did not have a chance to use the pool or spa but they looked wonderful.

Checkout was a breeze, they offer several checkout options but I always prefer the front desk. There were several people ahead of me in line but they were well staffed and the wait was minuscule. At checkout the front desk pointed me to the business center where they offer the option to print your boarding passes free of charge. The hotel offers an airport shuttle service to SNA every half our. They do not use a typical hotel shuttle bus, but rather a private car and driver, free of charge (I tipped the driver of course).

At the end of the day I have nothing negative to say about this hotel and would recommend it to anyone flying in or out of Orange County.

Stayed August 2014
FairmontNewportBeach, Online Marketing Manager at The Duke Hotel Newport Beach, responded to this review, 5 August 2014
Thank you for your kind words about the hotel. I'm very pleased to hear you had such a pleasant experience overall. As we pride ourselves on service, it's great to hear of your positive interactions withe both the front desk and bar staff. I'm sure it felt nice to sleep in a little thanks to a comfortable bed and the blackout curtains. We are very proud of our workout facility so it's nice to hear guests' appreciation. Thanks again for your kind words and we look forward to welcoming you back to The Fairmont Newport Beach.