“I thought people were just being too picky, but the horrible reviews were right!”

The Duke Hotel Newport Beach
Ranked #9 of 17 Hotels in Newport Beach
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 24 August 2014 via mobile

We are currently staying in this hotel and have had a HORRIBLE experience so far. I've stayed in a number of Fairmont's and this one shouldn't even have the right to call itself that. My husband and I were very concerned about staying here after reading the negative reviews, but we thought the people were just being too picky, boy were we wrong! First walking into our room we noticed the doors to our dresser/TV stand wouldn't close. The dresser is warped and scratched up, which usually I wouldn't mind when staying in a hotel, but this is suppose to be a 4 star hotel, the rooms should at least have furniture that isn't broken! But that has been the least of our issues, the reviews on how horrible the valet parking are 100% correct. We were waiting for our car and they brought us someone else's car that was also a Volkswagen thinking it was our car and then asked us if we had been helped, I overheard them talking and realized what had happened, they didn't apologize and pretended like nothing had happened and quickly went to get us our actual car. And again that still isn't even the worst thing that has happened so far... we came home from dinner and I wanted to take a shower and there was no hot water!! We've been waiting 2 hours now and they say they're trying to fix it... there's only 2 things I ask for from a hotel, a bed to sleep in and the ability to be able to have a HOT shower. I have been so dissapointed by this hotel so far and it's only our first night! If you are considering this hotel please listen to the negative reviews and don't go here, I wish we would have!

Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Jane F
FairmontNewportBeach, Online Marketing Manager at The Duke Hotel Newport Beach, responded to this review, 25 August 2014
I'm very sorry to hear of your negative experience at the hotel. Hopefully you have been able to relay some of these concerns to management while you are still in house. I'm also sorry to hear of the condition of your room and your experience with the valet. If you would contact me at lucas.schumacher@fairmont.com I would greatly appreciate it. I would like to put you in contact with the hotel manager so that he might address your situation personally. Thanks again and I look forward to your response.
Lucas Schumacher

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (249)
  • Korean first
Vancouver, WA
Reviewed 22 August 2014

room size was very nice, but my wife and I noticed that we had dropped some chip fragments on the floor the first night, which were still on the floor when we checked out, four days later. obviously, probably not vacuumed during our stay. Additionally, the marble top on the desk was stained. we pointed that out to the front desk several times, no action taken......... staff were super friendly, especially the valets. ...... pool area and lobby areas were very nice and clean, with a very nice fire pit near the pool. great ambiance around the pool . Bed in room was great . The only drawback, was, while a beautiful property, we felt that no extra steps are taken to really maintain cleanliness. the elevators, for example, have brass railings, which have not been shined in months. tables in the bar area were wiped down, but not well, leaving much to be desired.Parking is valet only, at a cost of $30./day weekdays, and $20./day for weekend days, NO self parking allowed. Somewhat spend y, as my wife and I ordered a med sized tomato and cheese pizza, with four (4) fuzzy navels (2 each), for a total cost of $51.00. we ate the rest of our meals outside of the hotel, as the menus indicated (1) nothing we particularly desired, and (2) with a very large cost for any item ordered.While we enjoyed our stay here overall, we will probably not return. I expected quite a bit better. Not bad, but certainly not great either, as I would expect from a four star property.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank John K
Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay with us. While I'm pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay overall, I'm sorry you weren't totally satisfied. We aim to provide excellent value to all our guests and I'm sorry we fell short in your case. I'm pleased to hear you found the staff accommodating as we strive to provide engaging service to all our guests. Thank you again for your feedback and we hope to welcome you back in the future.
washington, DC
Reviewed 17 August 2014 via mobile

i wanted to fall in love. the weather was great. i was there for a work event that would be mostly fun. the trip from the east was long but i was looking forward to the pleasures of a great hotel. but this is just a good one. why build a fancy marbled bathroom and then not have strong water pressure? why have a coffee maker and only one flavor of coffee? why no minibar? why no power strip at the desk? why not a secod sofe chair in the large room?

Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
FairmontNewportBeach, Online Marketing Manager at The Duke Hotel Newport Beach, responded to this review, 18 August 2014
Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay with us. It sounds like while you did enjoy your stay overall, some of the amenities weren't quite up to your standards. I'm happy you enjoyed great weather during your stay and hopefully took advantage of our pool area. I can appreciate your preferences for some of the room amenities and have shared them with our Hotel Manager. Thanks again for your feedback and we hope to welcome you back in the future.
Eastvale, California
Reviewed 17 August 2014

Very clean room ( and room was a little bit larger than most rooms )........ staff were super friendly ...... pool area and lobby areas were very nice and clean. Bed in room was great . The only drawback , was what some have said in other reviews .... the AC unit in the room , makes a lot of noise. Having said that , we would stay here again if in the area

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay with us. It sounds like you enjoyed your time with us and would like to return. I'm pleased you found the staff friendly and enjoyed our pool area. Thanks again and we look forward to welcoming you again in the future.
Santa Barbara
Reviewed 13 August 2014

Good hotel, great food but expensive food, pool is small and not clean, air conditioner not strong in rooms too hot. Full service hotel with good spa services. Room service is great. Very good conference facilities.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Fairmont Hotels & Resorts

1 Thank Deedrea E
FairmontNewportBeach, Online Marketing Manager at The Duke Hotel Newport Beach, responded to this review, 13 August 2014
Thank you for commenting on your recent stay with us.I'm happy you found the hotel good and the food great, but sorry you found it expensive. I look forward to sharing your feedback with the staff and we hope to welcome you again in the future.
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 12 August 2014

This is a very good hotel chain. Upscale but not too pricey. I had a "staycation" with some girlfriends here it was awesome. Super clean rooms with lots of offerings. It had a DVD player and a fridge. Perfect for a girls get-a-way weekend!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay with us. I'm pleased to hear you enjoyed your "staycation" with your girlfriends! Thank you and come join us again in the near future.
Montreal, Quebec
Reviewed 11 August 2014

Property is very clean but tired. We all found that the beds, including pull-out and roll away were extremely uncomfortable. Air conditioner in room is too noisy. We spent 5 nights and did not sleep very well. Do not recommend this hotel if noise is a problem.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Fairmont Hotels & Resorts

FairmontNewportBeach, Online Marketing Manager at The Duke Hotel Newport Beach, responded to this review, 12 August 2014
Thank you for commenting on your recent stay with us. I'm sorry to hear the property wasn't up to your standards and particularly the beds. I can imagine the frustration that discomfort caused and for that I apologize. Thanks again for your feedback and please let me know if I can be of further assistance.