“Not up to Fairmont standard”

The Duke Hotel Newport Beach
Ranked #10 of 18 Hotels in Newport Beach
Reviewed 27 August 2014

I have had contact with the company before posting this and received an email that I also felt was not up to par.
The hotel itself is pretty, the grounds nice , the valet staff friendly and fast and a central location.
We checked in , dropped our bags in the room and went out. I am very sensitive to smell and thought I smelled cigarette smoke so I turned the air on hoping to air out the room. When we returned there was still a lingering smell but I sat for an hour in the room and ended up with a migraine . We even had housekeeping come to spray the room . It did not help.I called the front desk and they were willing to change our room , they were supposed to send someone to meet me to show another room , no one came - no big deal. I went downstairs to the desk and the desk person said " you've been checked into the room for quite a few hours " "this is a non smoking hotel" . I explained the circumstances and was handed a new key.
I do not think this is how you approach a customer. Ask what happened or just try and fix the issue.
It seemed like he was pained to fix the issue.
My biggest complaint is how they treated me as a customer. The response from the hotel's survey was "we will pass this information on for follow up and correction."
My feeling is it never should have happened- housekeeping staff or manager should have noticed the problem and then the way way it was handled also not appropriate .
FYI - there is a charge for wifi unless you are part of the Fairmont program . Valet parking only.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else, harsh but true.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Weedge
FairmontNewportBeach, Online Marketing Manager at The Duke Hotel Newport Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 28 August 2014

Thank you for commenting on your recent experience at the hotel. I'm very sorry to hear of the negative service you encountered. Guest satisfaction is our number one priority and clearly we failed to demonstrate that during your stay. I thank you for filling out our guest satisfaction survey and I've additionally forwarded your comments to our Director of Operations. Thanks very much for your feedback.
lucas.schumacher@fairmont.com

Write a ReviewReviews (1,563)

Reviewed 25 August 2014

The bed and room were comfortable. But, we were unhappy about a few things. We booked through Priceline and were not told by them of the $30 per night charge for valet. That is the only way to park and we were not told when we checked in either. Upon entering our room we heard loud yapping from a dog in the next room. Staff took care of it promptly, but being allergic to dogs makes me wish that dogs were only allowed in one wing or floor. There was no free wifi in the room. I have stayed in budget motels that provide this. The hotel is surrounded by huge parking lots that service the big office buildings, but no free parking.
I would say this is a good business trip hotel when the company is picking up the tab.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
FairmontNewportBeach, Online Marketing Manager at The Duke Hotel Newport Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 27 August 2014

Thank you sharing your recent experience at the hotel. While I'm pleased you enjoyed your room, I'm sorry to hear of some of the other issues you experienced. I apologize that the parking charges were not clear during the booking process. I will definitely contact Priceline to ensure this is more clear. Thanks again for your feedback and we hope to welcome you again in the future.

Reviewed 25 August 2014

Stayed over the weekend late August. Overall opinion is It was nice, nothing really bad, just nothing really good. Would I stay again, no because nothing was special. Front desk and concierge were friendly and fast.
Priceline price was about 100 a night. For that we got 2 queen beds TV, DVD player, nice bathroom, desk and sitting chair. They had a closet with 2 robes. Amenities were called ROSE 31 I believe. Soap, shampoo, conditioner and shower cap. They provided a good hair dryer and towels were nice, they left 2 of each in the room, we had to call for more. YOU HAVE TO VALET YOUR CAR at $20/day. As someone who has had stuff stolen by the valets, and watched a valet rifling through my brothers car, I don’t trust em AT ALL. So I had to take all the stuff in my car up stairs to the room. That said, valet services and staff was fast and very pleasant to deal with. I have never had anything stolen from my rooms, but we kept the do not disturb sign on for the stay. We shopped a LOT. Hotel is just minutes away from Fashion Square and South Coast Plaza. (which has the most amazing MACYS, the angels sung when we walked in the door!). The pool was pretty in the pictures, but disappointing in real life. It’s small and all the chairs form a maze you have to run to get to and from your chair. No pool service the first day, the second day there were plastic signs saying YOU have to GO order a drink if you want it. Towels were ok and plentiful. Cabanas seemed free. Water was provided and bathrooms. Second day pool was murky and had stuff floating in it, that was a bummer. Pool staff mostly invisible late the first day, saw a couple the second day. There was a well-used Jacuzzi out there as well. Lots of shady spots too and a fire pit at night. It seems a good hotel for meetings, lots of bar and lounging areas in the middle. There is a (seemed expensive) Amadeus spa in the Hotel. All in all it was ok, just not special.

Room Tip: Door slam loudly, try for an end. They also allow dogs, if you hate fleas like me then ask for a roo...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay with us. While we welcome all guest feedback, we are particularly pleased to hear from such a seasoned traveler as yourself. It sounds like you enjoyed yourself overall but didn't leave totally impressed with the property. I'm sorry to hear that and will share your feedback with the staff. We hope you would be willing to return and allow us the opportunity to give you the experience you deserve.

Reviewed 24 August 2014 via mobile

We are currently staying in this hotel and have had a HORRIBLE experience so far. I've stayed in a number of Fairmont's and this one shouldn't even have the right to call itself that. My husband and I were very concerned about staying here after reading the negative reviews, but we thought the people were just being too picky, boy were we wrong! First walking into our room we noticed the doors to our dresser/TV stand wouldn't close. The dresser is warped and scratched up, which usually I wouldn't mind when staying in a hotel, but this is suppose to be a 4 star hotel, the rooms should at least have furniture that isn't broken! But that has been the least of our issues, the reviews on how horrible the valet parking are 100% correct. We were waiting for our car and they brought us someone else's car that was also a Volkswagen thinking it was our car and then asked us if we had been helped, I overheard them talking and realized what had happened, they didn't apologize and pretended like nothing had happened and quickly went to get us our actual car. And again that still isn't even the worst thing that has happened so far... we came home from dinner and I wanted to take a shower and there was no hot water!! We've been waiting 2 hours now and they say they're trying to fix it... there's only 2 things I ask for from a hotel, a bed to sleep in and the ability to be able to have a HOT shower. I have been so dissapointed by this hotel so far and it's only our first night! If you are considering this hotel please listen to the negative reviews and don't go here, I wish we would have!

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Jane F
FairmontNewportBeach, Online Marketing Manager at The Duke Hotel Newport Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 25 August 2014

I'm very sorry to hear of your negative experience at the hotel. Hopefully you have been able to relay some of these concerns to management while you are still in house. I'm also sorry to hear of the condition of your room and your experience with the valet. If you would contact me at lucas.schumacher@fairmont.com I would greatly appreciate it. I would like to put you in contact with the hotel manager so that he might address your situation personally. Thanks again and I look forward to your response.

Reviewed 22 August 2014

room size was very nice, but my wife and I noticed that we had dropped some chip fragments on the floor the first night, which were still on the floor when we checked out, four days later. obviously, probably not vacuumed during our stay. Additionally, the marble top on the desk was stained. we pointed that out to the front desk several times, no action taken......... staff were super friendly, especially the valets. ...... pool area and lobby areas were very nice and clean, with a very nice fire pit near the pool. great ambiance around the pool . Bed in room was great . The only drawback, was, while a beautiful property, we felt that no extra steps are taken to really maintain cleanliness. the elevators, for example, have brass railings, which have not been shined in months. tables in the bar area were wiped down, but not well, leaving much to be desired.Parking is valet only, at a cost of $30./day weekdays, and $20./day for weekend days, NO self parking allowed. Somewhat spend y, as my wife and I ordered a med sized tomato and cheese pizza, with four (4) fuzzy navels (2 each), for a total cost of $51.00. we ate the rest of our meals outside of the hotel, as the menus indicated (1) nothing we particularly desired, and (2) with a very large cost for any item ordered.While we enjoyed our stay here overall, we will probably not return. I expected quite a bit better. Not bad, but certainly not great either, as I would expect from a four star property.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank John K

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay with us. While I'm pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay overall, I'm sorry you weren't totally satisfied. We aim to provide excellent value to all our guests and I'm sorry we fell short in your case. I'm pleased to hear you found the staff accommodating as we strive to provide engaging service to all our guests. Thank you again for your feedback and we hope to welcome you back in the future.

Reviewed 17 August 2014

i wanted to fall in love. the weather was great. i was there for a work event that would be mostly fun. the trip from the east was long but i was looking forward to the pleasures of a great hotel. but this is just a good one. why build a fancy marbled bathroom and then not have strong water pressure? why have a coffee maker and only one flavor of coffee? why no minibar? why no power strip at the desk? why not a secod sofe chair in the large room?

Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
FairmontNewportBeach, Online Marketing Manager at The Duke Hotel Newport Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 18 August 2014

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay with us. It sounds like while you did enjoy your stay overall, some of the amenities weren't quite up to your standards. I'm happy you enjoyed great weather during your stay and hopefully took advantage of our pool area. I can appreciate your preferences for some of the room amenities and have shared them with our Hotel Manager. Thanks again for your feedback and we hope to welcome you back in the future.

Reviewed 17 August 2014

Very clean room ( and room was a little bit larger than most rooms )........ staff were super friendly ...... pool area and lobby areas were very nice and clean. Bed in room was great . The only drawback , was what some have said in other reviews .... the AC unit in the room , makes a lot of noise. Having said that , we would stay here again if in the area

Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay with us. It sounds like you enjoyed your time with us and would like to return. I'm pleased you found the staff friendly and enjoyed our pool area. Thanks again and we look forward to welcoming you again in the future.