“Customer Service: Like it used to be”

Newport Beach Marriott Bayview
Ranked #8 of 17 Hotels in Newport Beach
GreenLeadersGold level
San Diego, California
“Customer Service: Like it used to be”
Reviewed 18 May 2014

To the Front desk and Management:

Alex: Your amazing friendly family like attitude towards our family made us feel right at home during a stressed out time escaping the fires in San Diego to just get a way for a couple days.
You answered ALL our questions about the hotel over the phone and in person, if we needed anything you didn't hesitate for a second to answer or help us out.

The 2 Lindsays at front desk: Thank you for your friendly smiles and helping us with many questions about the area we have never visited before
Connor/Mario: Stellar Stellar customer service as it once used to be.

I know, a 5 star review is rare and should be used lightly.. I understand this, but I can't not give this place a perfect review. And believe me, I don't give these out often, this might be the 3rd one ever on any review site I have ever given.. and I have NEVER given a perfect review to a hotel.

We booked at the very very very last minute to get out of town, and it was our first trip with our baby.. and yes "We were that family"... you know the one you swear you will never become with all the "needs"...

~We needed a pack and play: DONE/Clean/ Delivered JUST as we got there, JUST as they promised (yes I have heard of horror stories of familes traveling long distances and getting to a hotel promised to have a crib for their baby to sleep only to say "Sorry, ran out"

~We needed help with our luggage in and out of hotel: DONE, friendly bell captains taking care of our belongings like it was theirs.

~The LITTLE THINGS:
Radio clock had an old Iphone adapter that didn't fit our Iphone, within 10 minutes they brought up a new one to fit so we could play our lullabye music just like home

~Pool and Pool Service. A decent nice little pool with FRIENDLY staff to bring you drinks and food

~Breakfast buffet: AMAZING Buffet, FRIENDLY servers, FRIENDLY cooks making you custom omelettes WITHOUT ATTITUDE...

~NOISE: This hotel is popular for small weddings, on the day we arrived their were 2 weddings in SAME DAY ... you can imagine my first thought was "O no... there goes sleeping well, our baby will be up all night with people partying". NOT THE CASE... and more importantly when I asked about this concern I was assured that our location of our room was picked for that exact reason.. it was strategically placed on the opposite side of building of the wedding guests... you tell me the last time this type of care went into what kind of room you got?

As my theme says.. this is how customer service USED to be.. .but these days seems like it only takes one untrained, rude staff member to ruin your trip... NOT here... NOT on this trip... I don't know what they do, but I hope it keeps up forever.. because we are coming back for sure to this very hotel.

Look, I don't know about anyone elses experience, but hotels near a major airport, can be hit or miss.. just look online at reviews.. .there is a reason Newport Beach Bayview averages above 4 stars on here and Yelp... and know I see why.

Thank you to trip advisor community for their accurate above 4 star average review of this place, you were spot on!

Room Tip: Corner rooms are the best if you can get one
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
7 Thank Bahman s
John J, Manager at Newport Beach Marriott Bayview, responded to this review, 20 May 2014
Bahama s,

Thank you so much for the wonderful review. We are celebrating our associates this week and I will make sure that everyone gets recognized for their Brilliant service that you mentioned.

We look forward to your next visit to Newport Beach.

Sincerely, John

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (131)
  • Korean first
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 17 May 2014

Heads up, there are two Marriott's in Newport Beach, one overlooking the golf corse and near fashion island, then there is this one. While the other is rather swanky and generally more expensive the Newport Beach Marriott Bayview offers spacious suites with nice views and great value in pricy newport.
Indoor/outdoor pool was nice and the location is near the airport and quick drive to Corona Del Mar, Newport and the beach.
Food is just OK - but nearby restaurant Juliette is amazing!
The hotel has not had the "Marriott upgrades" so if you prioritize price, location, space and comfort over the latest fashion this is the place for you.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
5 Thank Sara L
San Diego, California
Reviewed 14 May 2014

This hotel is really quite nice. The people are super friendly, the gym is fantastic, the breakfast buffet was delicious and the location was nice and peaceful.

I would have given this hotel 5 stars, except that me and my roommate both woke up with fleas on us and flea bites all over us! Lesson learned, never stay at a pet friendly hotel, unless you want fleas to have a field day all over you!

Room Tip: check their website for deals and promotions.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank Dora4U
John J, Manager at Newport Beach Marriott Bayview, responded to this review, 15 May 2014
Dora4U,

I want to apologize for your experience at our hotel. We take every precaution relating to pets and every pet room is cleaned thoroughly to ensure that the next guest in the room can feel completely safe that there is no evidence of the previous guest.

I would like to discuss this concern with you and if you could call me at the hotel and ask for hotel manager John.

I sincerely apologize again that your stay with us was flawed and want to make it right.

New York City, New York
Reviewed 9 May 2014 via mobile

I stayed at this hotel twice in a span of 3 months; once in July and chose to stay there again in September when I was back in Cali. The first time I stayed there was immediately after having Lasik eye surgery at the eye center next door. The hotel staff was made aware that my vision was limited and were very accommodating and understanding. Because I had such a pleasant experience, I stayed there again in September when passing through Cali and again I was not disappointed. Great staff, wonderfully sized rooms, clean and comfortable.

Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank Claire G
New England
Reviewed 30 April 2014

Stayed at this hotel twice in one month, once for business and once again for vacation, and both times were positive experiences. This is an all-suite hotel so the rooms are larger than your typical Marriott hotel with a separate bedroom connected to a living room area by a set of double doors. The open space concept is a definite plus if you are on extended travel or on vacation with 3 or more people. The only negative, which seems typical of most hotels and not just this one, is that the shower water pressure is a little weak on the higher floors.

The hotel is easily accessible from the highway and about a 5 minute drive to the local shopping area (Fashion Island) and about 15 minutes away from Newport Beach. The hotel location is in a residential/business neighborhood so there is not much within walking distance of the immediate area, but there is a jogging path around the bay, which is adjacent to the hotel, if you were looking for some outdoor activity.

The pool, pool area and hot tub are smaller than average for a Marriott hotel, but it wasn’t crowded at the time (probably because it was early April) and we didn’t have any problems getting lounge chairs or towels. The fitness center is nice and large with brand new equipment, but it is oddly tucked away outside by the pool and away from the hotel area. The lobby/lounge/bar area is standard for a Marriott; bright open space, contemporary design, sleek and well maintained. The restaurant buffet breakfast was an impressive spread, which included hot and cold breakfast items as well as on request make-your-own omelet and Mickey Mouse pancakes (with or without M&Ms – yummy either way).

My experience with the staff here, for the most part, has been excellent. I’m not sure if they are more attentive to guests with Marriott status but they do seem to go out of their way to mitigate any issues you might have during your stay. We happened to get overcharged for our drinks at the bar one night, and after pointing out the mistake at the front desk the next day, they immediately adjusted the charges and we were also given complimentary drink vouchers to compensate for the inconvenience - definitely a nice touch. Already looking forward to coming back here next month.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank sway76
San Francisco
Reviewed 27 April 2014

From the personal greeting, attention to detail, friendly staff, EXTRA QUIET rooms, and phenomenal breakfast buffet, this Mariott has it all. I went there for quiet, and I found it and so much more. It was all the above plus the attitude of their in-house Starbucks barista, Simon, who was not only friendly and engaging, but went out of his way to make it the way I wanted it. The omelet maker behind the buffet prepared custom omelets to PERFECTION! The front desk staff was always there to great passers-by with a warm smile and "hello". And, the cleaning staff was fast, efficient and very friendly, going out of their way to accommodate requests. Thank you for a great stay! As the governator would say, "I'll be back!"

Room Tip: Room at the end of the hall is the best, both the view and the quiet.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 18 April 2014

This is my 2nd honeymoon, my husband and i are extremely happy that we chose the marriott bay view. The room is absolutely beautiful and the view is like no other!! Room 507 is perfect and our little slice of heaven....THANK U MARRIOTT BAY VIEW FOR A WONDERFUL TIME!!!!

• Stayed April 2014