“Great location and great service”

Ranked #2 of 17 Hotels in Newport Beach
London, United Kingdom
“Great location and great service”
Reviewed 12 April 2014 via mobile

A great hotel and preferable to the Marriott in the area. Rooms are modern and clean and spacious. Bed is comfortable and good facilities. The service is good and attentive. Location is great for the offices of Newport Beach and fashion island shopping centre.

Stayed April 2014, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (237)
  • Arabic first
colorado
Reviewed 12 April 2014

First of all, the place is clean, well staffed and has nice furnishings. There is a very small bar in the lobby but no restaurant. So you pay for a place at Newport Beach but the pool and exercise lounge is being refurbished. No mention on their website. Very poor. There are better places in Newport.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank CsquaredColorado
DieterHissin, General Manager at Island Hotel Newport Beach, responded to this review, 15 April 2014
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback here. I want to apologize if the information on our reinvestment project was not communicated to you prior to your arrival. We understand the importance of ensuring our guests are up to speed on developments at the hotel, and I assure you I have taken the time to reiterate this to our management team and staff.

As the debut of Oak Room and Aqua Lounge, along with our new outdoor pool space and fitness center approaches, we hope you will return to Island Hotel to experience this exciting addition to the Newport Beach scene. Once again, thank you for taking a moment to post your thoughts here.

Reviewed 12 April 2014

Terrible Food, Unsatisfactory Deluxe Internet in guest rooms and meeting rooms, No pool, never ending construction noise, dishonest employees handling credit cards. I was there 4/7/14 to 4/9/14. Worst place ever in 20 years of business travel. They still owe me $400. for fraudulent charges.

Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
4 Thank Belly K
Thank you for posting your comments here. I want to apologize if you were disappointed with your stay and appreciate that you have taken the time to share your feedback.

We are currently on the downhill end of a grand reinvestment project at Island Hotel, which includes the debut of a brand new restaurant and lounge, outdoor pool area, fitness center and upgraded guest rooms. We look forward to sharing these developments with our guests this summer, but regret that our project negatively impacted your stay.

The safety and security of our guests and their confidential information is something our staff and management team take very seriously, and I would like to speak with you further about the inaccurate charges you have mentioned here. I will provide my contact information to you separately in a private message so you may contact me at your earliest convenience. It is our priority to ensure that any erroneous charges be removed immediately. I look forward to speaking with you.

San Diego, California
Reviewed 1 April 2014

My wife and I stayed here for a weekend honeymoon getaway trip. Before coming here, I planned a suprise massage day for her at their spa and we also packed our bathing suits for some lounging at their pool.

Upon arriving, I was asked if I was aware of their renovation project. I had been visiting their website daily while planning this trip and never saw a single hint of it being under construction. So of course I replied no. I was then told that they are renovating and therefore the restaurant was closed, the pool area was closed, the spa was closed, and the end of their registration desk has been converted to the bar. I asked her to reiterate the spa being closed since I was easily able to book a massage without any notification of the spa being shut down. She said that it's been moved to a suite on the 17th floor and my wife could still receive a massage, there just wouldn't be access to any spa amenities. I was also explained that there is a shuttle service to take you to a hotel down the street to use their pool and gym facilities or receive passes to 24 hour fitness.

Our room was nice but had a view of a gutted out pool and only served as a constant reminder that we would not be using their pool on this trip. When massage time came, I brought my wife up to the converted-suite, which was a living room/waiting room area and a bedroom on the left with a massage table and a bedroom on the right with a massage table. My wife looked at me awkwardly, since after all, this was still a suprise to her. I smiled and apologized and told her to try to enjoy herself. As far as I can tell, the massage was still priced the same as if it were being given in a spa with all the amenities.

Upon heading back to our room to wait until her massage was done, my keycard didn't work in the door. I tried several times to no avail. I went down to the front desk and told the employee that my keycard isn't working. She asked me what color light came on and I said none. She put the card in her machine and handed it back to me and said to try it again. I went back up, tried it again, no lights, went back down to the front desk. A different employee helped me and she must've caught on to the words "no lights", cause she explained to me that maybe the batteries in the receiver died. She told me she'd call security to come take a look at it. I went back up to the room and waited for security to arrive. He let me and then changed door lock with a new battery. By the time that was all said and done, it was time to pick up my wife from her massage because 60 minutes had gone by by then.

Overall, the staff is friendly and the hotel has potential. But given the intent of this trip, the hotel failed on every level.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank KPaulyD
DieterHissin, General Manager at Island Hotel Newport Beach, responded to this review, 14 April 2014
As I am reading through the thoughtful feedback you have provided here, I am truly disappointed that your experience with us was far below your expectations for a celebratory weekend with your wife. I want to sincerely apologize for the inconvenience our reinvestment project caused you, especially knowing you were celebrating such a special occasion like your honeymoon.

Although we are exceptionally thrilled to launch our new restaurant and lounge destination, along with our refreshed outdoor pool space early this summer, by no means have we wanted to displease our valued guests, such as you, in the mean time. I agree that the details of our reinvestment should have been communicated to you prior to your arrival, and I assure you I have taken the time to reiterate the importance of this with our staff.

In an effort to amend this situation for you and your wife, I would like to take a moment to speak with you, so I may offer my apologies to you for this situation. I will provide my contact information to you in a private message.

Once again, I apologize that your stay with us was far from perfect and appreciate you taking the time to share your comments here.

Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 31 March 2014 via mobile

If you do not want to be woken up at 6am with loud construction do not choose the hotel. We specifically asked about the noise before booking but they LIED saying it would not be a problem!!! And the customer service was horrible. A pure nightmare for sure. Also no bar area or lounge to sit and relax at. There are much better choices if you want to stay near fashion island shopping - choose the Marriott.

• Stayed March 2014
5 Thank kanban25
DieterHissin, General Manager at Island Hotel Newport Beach, responded to this review, 31 March 2014
Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback here. I want to sincerely apologize for your less-than-perfect experience during your recent stay and understand the inconvenience our reinvestment project caused you during your visit.

Although we are confident that the main construction portion of our renovation has been completed at this time, I am disheartened that the service you experienced with our staff was not up to the standard we strive for each day. Rest assured, I have taken the time to follow up with our management team to share the comments you have provided here.

We value your feedback and look forward to the opportunity to welcome you back in just a few short months as we debut Newport Beach’s newest restaurant and lounge destination.
If you would like to discuss your experience further, I will provide you with my contact details separately in a private message, so that you may contact me directly at your convenience. Once again, thank you for taking the time to post your thoughts here.

Westlake Village, CA
Reviewed 29 March 2014

During a recent business trip to Newport Beach, we booked a room at the Island Hotel. We chose this hotel because our business meeting the following day was in an office building next door to the hotel

Upon our arrival, we learned that this hotel used to be a Four Seasons Hotel but is now owned by the Irvine Company. Currently the hotel is going through renovations, but we never saw any signs of construction or heard any noise during my stay. The only indication of the renovations was a design board in the lobby area which showed the changes being made to the décor of the hotel.

Upon arrival, one is greeted by the valet staff who are eager to assist with ones bags. The reservation desk staff were also very pleasant and offered to help answer any questions or assist in any way.

The rooms and bathroom are very nice, comfortable, and large. It was not your ordinary hotel room. We never felt like we were confined in the space. The beds were adorned with nice, cozy bedding and the pillows were very comfortable to sleep on.

Fashion Island is directly across the street from the hotel. Not only are there stores to browse, but there is a movie theater and restaurants to enjoy.

We would definitely book this hotel again when visiting the Newport Beach area.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Silver Spring, Maryland
Reviewed 29 March 2014

5 Star service continues in this elegant property despite the renovation work. It was clear when I booked that some pool and dining area renovation work was underway, but I had no plans to swim or dine there. Theresa in Guest Services emailed me in advance to offer their assistance. I let her know that my sister has asthma, and they cleared the room of down and sent us a "pillow menu". We were warmly greeted upon arrival, our car was whisked away, and a bellman accompanied us to our room. From our 10th floor vantage point, we could look out and see the ocean. Standing in the window, we could see the construction below, but only heard it when the sliding door was open. The hotel wisely converted the hotel room nearest to the construction site into a temp. workout room with 4 cardio machines and weights, so noise was not a factor. (We all had on headphones, anyway.)

Our room had 2 queens, so it would have been nice not to have to request a second valet stand for luggage, but the bellman apologized and brought an additional one in no time flat. The valet parking service was quick and excellent, though expensive. After the first parking, I was always greeted by name.

The Island Club proved to be a worthwhile upgrade as we sipped their wine outside on the 20th floor patio, watching the sun as it slowly sank into the Pacific. Nothing else mattered.

Room Tip: All rooms are very spacious, the place is near the ocean; so get an ocean view room.