“poor facilities”

Ranked #2 of 17 Hotels in Newport Beach
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“poor facilities”
Reviewed 11 May 2014

my partner and i booked this hotel while on a road trip. hotel were glad to take our payment then to tell us we were unable to use pool, refurbishment happening, the hotel bar consisted of three stools and a counter. the check in was slow, although staff were helpful once checking you in. the room was spotless, massive and nicely furbished. bathroom was spotless so a very well done to the housekeeping staff. the hotel however was in the middle of a shopping complex. night life was a ferry away or a taxi $60 to the cannary. i feel staff should make sure the website tells customers of these refurbishments prior to booking, after driving 4hours a lie down and a dip in the pool would have been nice, instead to be told to use a sister hotel further away, not good really. nearest night life is muldoons irish bar. would stay a huntington beach next time.

6 Thank enncle

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (239)
  • Arabic first
Highland Park, Illinois
Reviewed 8 May 2014

I was told this hotel used to be a 4 Seasons, and you can tell. The rooms are lovely, the hotel has a great atmosphere, and the service was great! It is right at Fashion Island, so you have lots of eating and shopping options steps from the front door. It is not the place to stay if you are looking to walk to the beach every day. You feel like you are in a more urban location.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Honolulu, Hawaii
Reviewed 7 May 2014

The best thing about this hotel is its close proximity to nearby Fashion Island, a shopper's paradise. The hotel is undergoing massive renovations. Pool was closed. NOISY, grinding sounds happened all day, which I could hear even from an 8th floor guest room. New gym was open and quite nice. Breakfast room was organized in a makeshift meeting space and did not adequately replace restaurant under construction. It was never opened when I was hungry and wanting a snack. They created a tiny bar in a puka in the lobby in close proximity to the front desk, but who wants to drink while watching guests check in? Meeting spaces were adequate, but small groups had to fight the noise while around the pool. There were also picketers at the front entrance protesting a labor dispute--never a good sign. Rough times for this hotel as I would not return until the project is over and done with. The picture loader on this page is also not working. It would not let me load the photos. I did enjoy Fashion Island with its fabulous assortment of shops, restaurants, Whole Foods, and major retailers like Neiman Marcus, Macy's, and Bloomingdales.

Room Tip: While renovations are ongoing...take a HIGH floor to avoid noise
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
4 Thank TripTalkHawaii
DieterHissin, General Manager at Island Hotel Newport Beach, responded to this review, 10 May 2014
Thank you for taking a moment to post your feedback here. Although I’m glad to read that you enjoyed the abundance of world-class shopping and dining destinations at Fashion Island, I want to apologize for the impact our reinvestment project had on your visit. We are working diligently around-the-clock on the final phase of our first floor renovation initiative, and are looking forward to sharing our brand new outdoor pool space, restaurant and lounge with guests from near and far.

We look forward to the opportunity to welcome you back to Island Hotel in the future.

Anaheim, California
Reviewed 6 May 2014

I stayed here along with my family for my sister in law wedding, I am from Orange County and I have never heard a bad review of this hotel until I stayed there. Boasting one of the most expensive areas in the county this hotel failed to impress every single one of us. The hotel is located steps away from fashion island, a pricey outdoor mall that is not worth visiting since the stores are limited and the real attraction is the Koi fish pond. Driving up to the hotel the lobby was basic with no memorable looks to it, the excuse of a bar was a high table with four bar stools divided by quasi walls. We stayed in room 315, a double bed with an oversized bathtub. The room size was quite amazing i estimate the footage to be around 900 sqft. Now for the bad starting from the balcony, it was a JOKE!!!! The balcony was literally half a foot out and ... thats it nothing else there. The view was terrible, al we saw was the construction down below and the closed pool. The decor was basic and easily forgotten, there was not real decoration. The bed was comfortable but the pillows were a different story, for a self boasting luxury hotel they gave us two pillows, you say why not order more, I say why bother. 2 pillows per bed, sheets stiff as sand paper. Good sound system and small tv, the bathroom is A VERY spacious bathroom, it had a water closet and the double sink area was good size. We visited the other rooms which were about 5 others and they were all the same, unmemorable and small. The price tag for the night was outrageous $300 dollars a night for incompetent front desk and unmemorable rooms equals out to a horrible stay. This hotel has the potential to become a gem but right now its completely rough, If i had advised other people I would say skip this hotel and the hype, don't look at their website because it is nothing like what you will be getting. I regret staying and because of it the wedding party regrets the same. Please be advised that this hotel is not what it seems, the only glamorous part its the name. Enough said this place should be off your list.

Room Tip: Skip this hotel, and do yourself a favor. .
4 Thank meregorovian
I appreciate the time you have taken to share your feedback about your recent visit to Island Hotel. I am disappointed to read that you were unsatisfied with your overall experience and want to extend my apologies to you, as well as the wedding party, for the less-than-perfect getaway.

I am happy to let you know that as part of our grand reinvestment project at Island Hotel, each of our guest rooms and suites will be reinvigorated with new furnishings and décor to provide our guests with the ultimate in comfort during their stay. Although many of our balconies are step-out only, our suites are outfitted with larger patios equipped with lounging furniture for guest to enjoy the coastal breezes and California sun. Additionally, we are preparing to unveil our new vibrant and energized outdoor pool space this summer that will easily integrate with the high-energy atmosphere of our brand new restaurant and lounge.

With all of these exciting improvements ahead, we look forward to another opportunity to welcome you back to Island Hotel.

Los Angeles, CA
Reviewed 4 May 2014 via mobile

Ditto most of the last reviewer, but we were not advised about the renovations when we booked the hotel. Imagine our surprise when we arrived with our 8 year old and were told we could not use the pool. Terrible PR mistake. They tried to send us across the street to the pool at an apartment complex. No towels, no bar, no food service. Totally unacceptable. On the bright side, after we vigorously complained, they sent us to the pool at Pelican Hill Resort. Perfect!

The following day, they told us that Pelican Hill pool was unavailable and again tried to send us across the street. After vigorously complaining (again), they said that Pelican Hill would make an exception for us but that they were full and plus the pool would be closed at 2 for a private party. So we get to Pelican Hill and guess what? Barely anyone at the pool, and the party was at 5:30 not 2!!

So bottom line is that I'm writing this one star review for Island, I am writing a 5 star review for Pelican Hill, and we will stay there instead next time.

Stayed May 2014
4 Thank dwillens3
Thank you for taking a moment to provide your candid feedback about your recent stay with us. Although it’s great to read that you enjoyed your visit to Pelican Hill, one of the other resort properties within our division of The Irvine Company, I want to apologize that you and your family were displaced and inconvenienced due to our reinvestment project.

As we are entering the final phase of this reinvestment initiative, with our new state-of-the-art fitness center and outdoor pool now open, and Oak Grill and Aqua Lounge set to debut this summer, we look forward to the opportunity to once again provide our guests with a wide range of top-notch amenities.

Once again, I appreciate you sharing your comments with us, and we hope there will be another opportunity to serve you again soon.

chicago, illinois
Reviewed 28 April 2014

We made a mistake staying here with the renovations. Yes we were told (a few weeks before our stay) that the fitness center would be closed, the pool would be closed and the restaurants would be closed. But there was no time to find somewhere else to stay and our options did not seem much better (either due to price or distance). I think things are slowly coming together but I would recommend to anyone staying here to confirm what is open and what is not open. We were lucky in that the fitness center did open during our stay and it is a very nice facility. The pool and spa deck was available but the pool and spa had just been filled so were not ready for use. I upgraded to the lido suite only because the room we had booked, a corner suite was not going to be ready until 4 pm because the individuals in that room were given a 1 pm check out time. Since we were checking out of a regular king room into a suite I was hoping we could coordinate a switch but it would only work for this particular room. It was a crazy big room but very dated - the couch was not in good shape and all the tables had signs of marks from drinks, there were sunflower seeds in the top drawer of the dresser (I cleaned it up). The room had a mini kitchen but no plates or utensils. In the hotel hallway the light in the room with the ice machine was out the entire time which made it really difficult to get ice (keep door open so you can see while pressing button and positioning bucket). I can say the beds are comfortable and most of the people were very nice. The have a tiny make shift bar in the lobby which my husband was able to make his own manhattan. To explain they could not make a martini, I'm not sure why, but instead he was given a manhattan on ice and a martini glass which he poured the drink into. I drank mine on the rocks....Oh and how much for a drink you make yourself $20 + tax + tip.

Upon check out I thought the bill was all right but upon later review noticed we had some incorrect charges. I went back to the desk and explained the situation but she wasn't getting it and when my husband chimed in she got very defensive. It was weird, I imagine she must be use to people getting upset with the renovations going on but this reaction was a little over the top. My husband was surprised and a little shocked. She finally ran the numbers, agreed we were correct and gave us the credit.

I think they should have hired a PR company to help them through this renovation and I definitely think they should have made more of an effort to makeup to guests for the inconveniences. I also thought they could have been more transparent with the level of renovations. All we heard was it was going to be beautiful, that's great but unfortunately we are here now. How about a blog to keep guests aware of the changes and announcements when something is open. It would take 5 minutes a day, hey everyone great news the fitness center is open!, then another hey everyone the pool is being filled hopefully just a few more days...I guess best of luck Island Hotel, you have a nice location in what is a great town. Unfortunately I'll be staying elsewhere.

Room Tip: During the renovation stick to rooms on a higher floor.
5 Thank chitownMS
DieterHissin, General Manager at Island Hotel Newport Beach, responded to this review, 6 May 2014
I want to thank you for taking the time to share your thoughtful feedback about your recent stay at Island Hotel. Although our reinvestment project is winding down, I understand your disappointment in the lack of communication prior to your arrival and agree that the information regarding the closure of several of our amenities should have been shared with you ahead of time.

I’m glad to read that you had some time to enjoy the newly remodeled state-of-the-art fitness center, but apologize that the pool was not quite ready for use during your stay. The one thing that should remain consistent during these physical transformations is the Five Diamond customer service we hold in such high regard at Island Hotel, and the less-than-perfect services you encountered at our lobby bar and front desk is unacceptable. I have taken the time to share your comments with our food and beverage director as well as our front office manager so we can address this matter immediately.

I would like the opportunity to speak with you further about your experience and will provide my contact information to you separately in a private message. With the launch of our new dining and entertainment destination set to debut this summer, plans to refresh all of our guest rooms and the opening of our grab-and-go market on the first floor, we have some exciting things planned at Island Hotel. I hope we can regain your trust as a guest and look forward to the chance to speak with you soon.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 April 2014

Stayed one night, no daytime, and was impressed by the cleaniness and the staff, all of whom were most impressive. Courteous and efficient.

Room service was excellent as was the laundry service.

Cannot say much else as only there for 8 hours but felt compelled to give a good mentions as deserved.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
The Duke Hotel Newport Beach
The Duke Hotel Newport Beach
#9 of 17 in Newport Beach
Hyatt Regency Huntington Beach Resort & Spa
Hyatt Regency Huntington Beach R...
#1 of 21 in Huntington Beach
Bay Shores Peninsula Hotel
Bay Shores Peninsula Hotel
#1 of 17 in Newport Beach

Been to Island Hotel Newport Beach? Share your experiences!