“Great place, but.....”

Ranked #14 of 17 Hotels in Newport Beach
Fresno, California
“Great place, but.....”
Reviewed 6 January 2013 via mobile

Nice friendly staff, clean, quiet rooms.... BUT there is no heated pool, as advertised. The guy at the front desk said someone must have "forgot to turn it on" in January???!!! What other month might you need it?? Never occurred to him to say" but wait, I will get that taken care of"..... Why advertise something you are not willing to let your guests use??? Also, the breakfast was a bit of false advertising. The only things hot were the coffee and the waffles. And there was yogurt, cereal, juice as well. Not quite the awesome breakfast described on the website. But, very clean, quiet. Brenda, the server for breakfast, was very accomodating.

• Stayed January 2013
aadolbw, Manager at Best Western Plus Newport Beach Inn, responded to this review, 6 January 2013
We do appreciate you taking the time to review your recent stay. We are very glad enjoy it but do apologize for the issues you encountered. We will review your remarks to make our business even better. We look forward toward your next visit.
Arthur Adolphson
Night Audit Manager
Best western Newport Beach Inn

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
Brisbane
Reviewed 7 December 2012

The room was quite spacious
Plenty of room for lots of luggage and they provided a luggage trolly.
Room was very quiet considering we faced the PCH.
Room had a view to the beach and water across the rod.
Breakfast was fine.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank jauntingbrisbane2
Rod H, General Manager at Best Western Plus Newport Beach Inn, responded to this review, 11 December 2012
We appreciate you taking the time to make some comments about our hotel here on TripAdvisor. We're sorry that the road noise was an inconvenience but hope you enjoyed the view nonetheless. We hope to see you again soon!
Lodi, California
Reviewed 13 November 2012

My girlfriend and I stayed here this past weekend and it was a small but great place. I booked the reservation about a month before staying. I called the week before to confirm the reservation and they had me for the wrong days. I am glad I called before flying down and going to the FD to find that I do not have a reservation. The room was nice besides the tear in the window shade that was from top to bottom (Room 402). Working at a hotel I know there are minor things that guest point out when staying at a hotel. The hotel was very close to everything. Everything was within 5 min driving distance. It is always great to stay at a place where the staff cares about you and is within walking distance from the beach. We were not able to use our bike rental unfortunately. We are looking forward to coming back soon to enjoy the hotel longer than just 2 days and possibly get a room that has a partial view of the ocean.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Beau Z
Rod H, General Manager at Best Western Plus Newport Beach Inn, responded to this review, 20 November 2012
We owe you a bike rental! We appreciate your feedback, and the helpful review you wrote here on TripAdvisor. Your comments were passed on to all of our staff members, particularly in Maintenance. Please come back to visit us again when your travels bring you back to Newport Beach!
Greenbrae, California
Reviewed 9 November 2012

Great experience here from beginning to end! We arrived in the evening knowing we had made our reservations through the "Living Social" voucher we had purchased. But when we arrived the Young lady at the desk could not find us. I had forgotten my original voucher with my confirmation written on it. So The young woman went into the office and brought her Manager out to look us up. He could not find us either and asked if we had stayed here about a month ago, when I replied that I had not he politely said not to worry that he would get us taken care of! Everyone was so nice and so professional and so helpful. What could have been a very stressful situation was turned into one of the best Hotel experiences I have had. We have just driven across country and stayed in Econo Lodge, Ramada, America's Best Value, and Holiday Inn. There were little complaints at every location, though none too horrible. The manager had the right to charge us the full price of $169 but graciously accepted the print out of my voucher and did not charge us any more than We had budgeted for. The breakfast is great! There is a very warm, funny, and informative woman who makes you waffles and gives you area info. She is a gem! I would stay here in a heartbeat again! The room is spotless and the bathroom huge! Although I wish the room was a bit bigger, the bed very comfortable, no dust anywhere, and the Tv could be updated! This is by far the best hotel we have stayed at on this trip! Very nice pool area as well! Also some very good inexpensive restaurants in the area! Great place to stay don't hesitate!

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank djcis43
Rod H, General Manager at Best Western Plus Newport Beach Inn, responded to this review, 12 November 2012
Wow, wow, wow! It is always a treat when we receive such wonderful reviews from guests that have stayed with us. We appreciate your feedback and are glad we could assist you when we had that wee bit of trouble at check in. We know you've traveled a great distance to make it to California, and thank you for making Best Western such a noteworthy part of your trip! We hope to see you again.
Reviewed 5 November 2012 via mobile

Our stay at the hotel was a rather last-minute choice. Due to the long distance to the beach from our first choice hotel we cancelled and booked a room at the BWNBINN. It was only 2 days before our tripbto the seaside but this wasn't any issue for the hotel.
We stayed at this hotel in August 2012. The location couldn't be better. The hotel is situated right across from the beach, so you can ser the ocean and watch the surfers walk by your room every morning.
The room was great. It was really spatious and clean and the cleaning ladies were really nice to us.
The only concern that I have is that the breakfast room was really really warm and unfortunately crowded. The breakfast-lady was a really nice person though and made sure we were happy guests.
Overall it was a great experience although we barely spend any time at the hotel but at the beach( which is really great too).
Thank you Best Western Newport Beach Inn!

• Stayed August 2012
We're so glad you enjoyed your stay here in Newport Beach! We love hearing such terrific comments about the hotel, Brenda in the Breakfast Room and our wonderful beaches! Please make sure to visit us again when your travels bring you to the area.
Hoboken, New Jersey
Reviewed 21 October 2012

The hotel is one major road away from quiet portion of the newport beach. Staff are friendly. Park is $5 / night. Free Wifi and continental breakfast. Room quality is average and wish carpet is newer, but it's clean.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
Rod H, General Manager at Best Western Plus Newport Beach Inn, responded to this review, 23 October 2012
Thank you for making an effort to leave us feedback about your recent stay in our hotel. Your feedback is critical to making our operation successful, both from a product perspective and for service delivery.
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 18 October 2012

Let me start off by saying this is a great place to stay. The hotel itself is fantastic and has all the amenities you would need. The staff I meet were fantastic and always greeted me with a hello and were very friendly.

Check-in was smooth and I was even given my room early without even asking or expecting it.

My room was clean and comfortable and everything I could have asked for. A nice work desk with internet so I could catch up on some emails. A nice Flat screen TV with lots of channels. The bathroom was clean and everything worked just fine. The air conditioner kept my room very comfortable. The fridge in the room was a nice touch.

The business center is available if you do not have a computer or need to use the printer. Everything worked great.

There is a stocked fridge and snack bar in the front by the check-in desk in case you would like a snack or drink to charge to your room.

The FREE breakfast in the morning is fabulous. Coffee, juice, Cereal, muffins and pastries, and fruit. The waffles are to die for. Everything you would need to start your day. Even a great good morning and welcome from the lady that ran the breakfast area. She was the best staff member I meet while I was there.

Then on my last day I decided to grab a sandwich and a beer and sit out by the pool. Well there are lots of places to sit and relax and get some sun. The pool however is filthy; there was garbage, bugs, and enough sand to build a castle. I’m not sure why every other part of this hotel is immaculate and the pool is neglected. Not that you need a pool when you are just a few steps from the beach. If you are going to have a pool and lounge chairs then you better keep it as clean as your hotel.

Great restaurants in the area that I really enjoyed is the Big Belly Deli which serves great sandwiches and pizza. Spaghetti Bender has great pasta. Both are in walking distance just next to the hotel.

Room Tip: Not a lot of parking and tight. I recoment backing into stall. Go to the beach for a swim or sun ta...