“Happy hour is just that.”
Review of Cabo Cantina

Cabo Cantina
Ranked #161 of 520 Restaurants in Newport Beach
Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: After-hours
Dining options: After-hours
Reviewed 14 May 2014

Well after a long day at the beach and surrounding areas we needed food and drink. We heard some reggae music and saw the two for one happy hour sign and we were in. The margaritas were excellent and the juke box had credits loaded in. We ate the nacho platter, it was decent. The pier was right across the street making this the perfect stop in New Port Beach for drinks.
The staff were all very professional as well.

Reviewed 30 April 2014

Upon traveling to So Cal our friends took us to Newport Beach. Took a tour of the harbor full of seals and sea lions. Great experience. Then off to Cabo Cantina. Cold beer! Great nachos!

Reviewed 27 April 2014

Of course it is right on the beach. has a dozen large screen flat screens to watch many sports teams at the same time. Waitress was pleasant, but over extended.
The top shelf Margarita was the most watered down drink I've had in my life.
The fired fajita was good.
Go there with friends and eat and perhaps have a beer...

1  Thank TripKenSF
Reviewed 24 April 2014 via mobile

This was my first and last time here. My friend and I were there on Tuesday and to say that we received terrible service would be an understatement. Our waitress had to be the most ridiculous waitress I have ever had in my life. Once we sat down, it took her about 15 mins to show up, we asked for water, ordered our drinks, and asked her about the Taco special. She returned with our water, which was in sippy cups. I didn't think much of it till I noticed everyone else had regular cups, even those who sat down after us. Okay no big deal, took another 15 minutes for us to come back with our drinks. Once she brought them, she sat them down and walked off even before we could order our food.

We eventually had to ask one of the bartenders to find our server for us. She came we ordered two tacos and sat there patiently waiting for our food. After about 20 mins, we had to once again ask someone to please find our server for us. During this time, everyone sitting around us who came after us were already eating. Once our server shows up, we ask her if our food was almost out. She responds very nonchalantly, "oh I didn't put it in, but what did you want again, I will put it in now". My friend and I looked at each other in disbelief, wondering if we were being punked or something. When we tried to say something she would cut us of rolling here eyes and saying " but I can put it in now, it will literally take two mins". She came back with food that had clearly just been thrown on a plate for us, sat it down, left and never came back.

I couldn't take it anymore at this point so I asked one of the bartenders for a manager. The manager was even more ridiculous than the waitress, he came over, didn't introduce himself or anything and said "did you need something!?". We explained the situation to him and his response was, " well there isn't anything I can do about it but I will keep and eye on it in the future ". Really sir?!?

My thing is if people of our kind are not welcomed in your establishment, then please have a sign that clearly states that on the outside. It's sad that I have to think that race had something to do with it, but I don't know what else it could have been. We were the only 2 black people in there, so my assumption just may be correct. I felt very uncomfortable after a while. I do not go anywhere I am not wanted so I will be sure to take my business elsewhere next time. To make matters worse, the food other than the beans and salsa were all lousy and my drink didn't taste like what it was supposed to taste like.

2  Thank Itsloudinsidemyhead
Reviewed 24 April 2014

Stopped here for drinks. They had pretty decent specials and the prices weren't too bad. Service was great and the drinks were great! Enjoyed the atmosphere and the area very much. I would gladly visit again!