“We loved it”

Featherbed Railroad Bed & Breakfast Resort
Ranked #1 of 1 Nice B&B and Inns
Reviewed 27 July 2011

Full disclosure: I'm a train fan so that may have colored my review a bit. But only a bit.

This is a cute "concept hotel"; each "room" is a real caboose. We stayed in "Celebrations" which has a jacuzzi. The room was great. The staff was great. The view & ambience was great (check out the swing in the common yard area) and they have their own dock for fishing and sunset worshipping. The grounds are kept in great shape and the cabooses have all the usual amenities except for Internet access. For that you have to go to the main building or nearby to get a signal strong enough to use. Given that cabooses are made of metal there's zero chance of getting a signal inside, even when your caboose is the closest to the main building (as ours was).

If you're the typical carnivore male half of a couple and it's your mate that's the big B&B fan then you'll be a little disappointed with the breakfast. On our last day it was quiche and chicken sausage. Only American coffee is served - no espresso/capuccino/hot chocolate. And neither morning's breakfast included any kind of bread or pastry ala European style breakfast. On the other hand there are a couple of good breakfast places down the road and a spectacular Thai restaurant (try the Spicy Lamb special if it's available - it's awesome).

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ACnotliW
FBRR, Owner at Featherbed Railroad Bed & Breakfast Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 4 August 2011

Greetings from the Featherbed Railroad. We're always so happy to hear that people loved this little oasis on the lake and we're equally happy to continually improve the experience people have here. One point of interest I wanted to highlight, we have six varieties of hot chocolate available to our guests on the counter with the coffee. There are also lots of teas for those who love tea as well. Thank you for your review and for being our guest - we sure appreciated your being here and glad you had a great time! Great pictures, too!!

Reviewed 12 July 2011

One of the coolest places I spent the night in was the Orient Express caboose in Featherbed Inn. My girlfriend and I enjoyed a romantic weekend in this cozy place. The indoor hot tub made all the difference in the world. The hosts helped with filling breakfast and good advice. I urge everyone to try it!

Reviewed 7 July 2011

The hosts/owners, Tony & Peggy, try to accommodate, but are not experienced at running a Bed & Breakfast. They had family camping on the grounds who monopolized the pool and hammock, so paying guests were not able to use these facilities, as well as eating everything which would have been available to the paying guests. Was extremely disappointed as we stayed 3 nights - probably would be better as a novelty for one night. Featherbed was a joke - had horrible backaches. Don't stay in Tropicaboose as it's too small and smells (and is not very clean). Again, hosts should pay more attention to their guests needs and requests. Breakfast was always some type of quiche. No cereal or request for fruit was available as was told their family ate everything. Not good...

Room Tip: Tropicaboose was quite small and smelled
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank WLADeb
Reviewed 7 July 2011

My husband & I are both from R. R. families, with our Dad's both working in various capacities (his Dad as a Station Master in PA, and my Dad a Brakeman & Conductor for the S. P. (Southern Pacific) out of Roseville, CA for 40 years).

According to my Dad, the S. P. retired their cabooses in the late 1980's, and some were sold with the wheels and some without. He says they'd have shipped them to Nice without the wheels, laid the track each one sits on, and then re-united the caboose with its wheels in place. It seems to me the original owner spent a lot of time planning and executing this themed property.

We recognized the R. R. radio station playing in our room as soon as we walked in!! Thanks to Tony, it is available 24 hours a day with only his advertising!!!

There are several styles of cabooses, and different themes for all nine. Some of the interior features are original to the working cabooses. I chose one with the hot tub and thoroughly enjoyed using it!!!

We thought the bed looked a little iffy -- until we sat/laid down on the DOWN/featherbed mattress and pillows!!! They were WONDERFUL!!!

The grounds are delightful!! They have a private pier that is very nice!! Peggy and Tony are the BEST!! Great people and great food!!!

We'll DEFINATELY be back!!! I need to bring my Dad and Mom!!!

Reviewed 4 July 2011

We stayed here by chance, it had been recommended by a local cafe but we couldnt find it on the GPS. Anyway when we pulled up at the roadside to get our bearings it happened to be over the road. So glad we got there as it is an amazing experience. The rooms are incredible and themed cabooses. We would highly recommend a stay here not just because the rooms are spectacular but because the hosts are fabulous too. We stayed in the easy rider room, just perfect for harley davidson fans. All in all a perfect stay.

Reviewed 26 May 2011

My husband and I were looking for a last quick getaway before his deployment. We found this place online and I booked it, based on the fact it looked different and quiet. We loved it. The rooms are uniquely decorated with different themes. The bed was comfortable. The area grounds were very nicely kept. The breakfast was great. The hosts were friendly. We can't wait to go back when he returns and experience another room. It really is refreshing to visit something different from the mainstream chain hotels.

Room Tip: Check their website online.
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank e3ward
Reviewed 4 May 2011

By the luck of the draw, I stayed in the cutest and most charming place I've ever laid my head. During the Outdoor Writers Association of California conference, May 1st and 2nd, I was assigned the Featherbed Railroad B & B, (www.featherbedrailroad.com) in the upper Clear Lake town of Nice. Each unit was an old RR caboose converted into a comfortable room, complete with jacuzzi bath tub wine glasses, lounging robes and decorative touches.

Stretched out in the comfortable bed, I was lulled to sleep by the fountain outside my room. The lake was just steps away, and they have a few kayaks for guests who want to explore. There is also a pool and an old fashion swing hung from a tall tree.

Amenities include a private dock and beach with a boat launch, bicycles, ping pong tables, delicious breakfast, individual heat and air conditioning, coffee makers, cable TV with media player and movies. Rooms run from $140 to $220 per night.

Tony, the friendly proprietor, goes out of his way to make guests feel comfortable. The next time you're considering a visit to Clear Lake, give him a call at [--].

Room Tip: check the rooms on line
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled on business
2  Thank meade13
Also consider these accommodations in or near Nice
Tallman Hotel
16 mi away
Vista del Lago Lakehouse and Cottages
WorldMark Clear Lake
Robinson Rancheria Resort & Casino

Been to Featherbed Railroad Bed & Breakfast Resort? Share your experiences!