“Special Place”

Ranked #1 of 1 Nipomo B&B and Inns
Hermosa Beach, CA
“Special Place”
Reviewed 13 November 2008

This is an excellent B&B with wonderful amenities. They have created a relaxing and unique experience in a beautiful setting.

• Liked — easy access to wineries, beaches, my favorite spa and golf for my husband
  • Disliked — for me, nothing. for my husband, no tv in our room!
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Bay Area
Reviewed 5 October 2008

This B&B was such a treat! They should really put more photos on their website because the intricate Victorian architecture and the amazing gardens blew our socks off – we didn’t expect it to be so nice. We like to get away frequently for weekend or extended weekend jaunts, so this location was perfect. Close to home but yet so different than the city.

This B&B is close to lots of things we wanted to do (beaches, wineries, hiking), with about a ten minute drive to get back to the hotel in the evening. Not being right in the middle of a bunch of hotels or busy Pismo Beach meant the place was nice and quiet. One thing I really appreciated about the Kaleidoscope Inn was the quiet. I am a very light sleeper, but I didn’t even need to use my earplugs, which are generally a must when traveling between street noises and other hotel guests.

Our room was great. We stayed in the Carriage House, which is a big suite with a couple of sofas, so we were able to spread out and get really comfortable. One night after dinner we stayed in our suite and watched one of their DVD movies complete with popcorn and the other night we spent in the common living room (really pretty, nice décor, tons of books, music, etc) and played backgammon. Our bed was soooo comfortable. The mattress was great and the sheets were super soft. We are in the market for a new mattress, so we asked the owners the make/model and will be getting one for ourselves next week! It did get a little nippy in the evening, but we were able to find extra blankets.

The gardens are very pretty and serene. We saw three hummingbirds and a monarch the first day. There is a fountain in the garden too, which is a great place to sit and watch the birds since they gather there to drink. We had our coffee there both mornings before breakfast. Coffee was good and strong. Breakfast was very good too. We had a full breakfast each day - a baked egg dish with potatoes, fruit, toast, juice, coffee. The cook was also very helpful with directions and advice. We also liked the way everyone ate together in the morning. Some of the other guests passed on some information on a nice hike that they had done the day before.

This B&B was just right for us. Not too big, but with five rooms it was big enough so that we did not feel like we were intruding on someone’s home. We felt like we had as much privacy as we needed, which is generally the one thing we don’t like as much about B&Bs versus hotels. We will definitely visit again and will likely invite our best friend couple to meet us there (they are from LA). Almost forgot about famous Jocko’s. I had trouble believing that that cinder block building on the corner would have great food. I worked my way through college working at Ruths Chris Steak House, so am a bit of a steak snob. Didn’t believe we would need reservations, so we walked in on Friday night to a 3 Hour Wait! So we made reservations for Saturday night and got in pretty close to our reservation time. I still love a good Ruths Chris steak, but I have to say that Jockos has the best steak I’ve eaten in many many years. So, we also highly recommend Jockos too - we had the Spencer, which is what most people call a Rib Eye!

• Liked — intimate, personable, very comfortable and quiet
  • Disliked — that darn chocolate fudge
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled as a couple
Saratoga, CA
Reviewed 22 August 2008

We wanted to spend the night in Nipomo specifically to eat dinner at Jocko's restaurant and this place was the only lodging listed in the city. After we booked the room I read the reviews which I usually do before I book and half of the reviews were bad ones. I was concerned that I had made a mistake. But when we got there everything was awesome! We had the Enchanted Rose room which had a view of the gardens. There was beautiful stained glass on the top of the window and the room was decorated very romantically! The bathroom was detached but right next door, complete with a jacuzzi tub and plenty of nice, fluffy towels. Downstairs there was home made fudge on the buffet next to hot water and many varieties of tea. We had gone wine tasting and the room provided wine glasses so I poured a glass and we went to the garden to relax. There was a fountain and lots of pretty flowers. There was a gazebo and many places to sit. The gardens were really big and there was to be a wedding there the next day. The owner, Kevin was really accomodating and helpful and the breakfast that was served the next morning was so delicious! As far as the neighborhood, the inn didn't really look like it belonged where it was but there was no noise or problems with it being there. We could walk to the restaurant (which was awesome too). We were a short drive to Oceania, where the sand dunes are and there are wineries a short distance too. So there was plenty to do or if you didn't want to go anywhere it was nice to relax there too. We would love to stay there again!

• Liked — It was so easy to relax
  • Disliked — Nothing!
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled as a couple
San Francisco, CA
Reviewed 26 July 2008

Think Twice – I wouldn’t stay here again if you paid ME

My husband and I stayed at the Inn as my sister and her fiancé had chosen the place as their wedding location. The first indication that this stay was going to be disappointing was when the hotel lost our credit card information in a questionable incident of broken protocol and a stolen car. The bookkeeper apparently took the accounting information home with her and her car was stolen with *just our* credit information inside. Does this sound fishy to anyone else?

When we arrived at the inn the day before the wedding, we were shocked by the Inn’s surroundings. The Inn is located in a neighborhood that could be described as sketchy at best – low income housing across the street, a liquor store on the corner, the whole bit.

Despite this, we checked into our room. When I asked about any kind of compensation for having to cancel our credit cards and worry about possible identity theft, the owner refused and was downright rude. We were shown to our room, the Master Suite, and were surprised at how out-dated the guest rooms were. Our bathroom was located upstairs, which was inconvenient but manageable. I was concerned about the cleanliness as the room was dusty and there were bugs in the bed. We were stuck there for the wedding, and were already aware of how unhelpful the owner was, so we didn’t complain again.

The wedding itself was a nightmare. This was not a large wedding, or a particularly unruly one. The owner, Carolayne, was extremely rude to family and guests. The inn bills itself as a wedding venue, but she complained about the DJ, threatening him and screaming in the middle of the reception instead of asking to turn down the music or discussing sound parameters beforehand; she verbally attacked bridesmaids who were in the kitchen looking for a glass for the bride; in the middle of the reception she insisted that the gifts be moved out of the inn, although the entire occupancy of the inn were wedding guests and generally made the experience unpleasant for everyone involved.

I did not experience breakfast myself, but I understand from my husband that ‘gourmet’ is a laughable description for over-ripe melon and toast.

I cannot recommend enough that other consumers avoid this Inn and the same mistake we made by staying here. For $175 a night, I could have been staying at a Sheraton – cleaner, more convenient bathroom location, quieter, and a MUCH better neighborhood.

If you are considering a wedding here, please reconsider. My husband and parents and I did much of the set up and clean-up, and we got nothing but grief from the owner. I cannot stress enough how awful Carolanye was to deal with in every phase of the stay, from booking through check-out.

• Liked — Leaving
  • Disliked — The entire experience
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled with family
2 Thank HappyTraveler6285

Travellers are raving about these Nipomo hotels

California
Reviewed 1 July 2008

We thought we would be going to a beautiful bed and breakfast where we would get to know some new people and a new environment.

However, as we pulled into white trashville, where dogs lay int he middle of the street, the local "nice" steak house is attached to a liqour store and you are too scared to park your car incase it may get broken in to. So, we gave it a chance, thinking that possibly the staff may put us at ease.

The actual Inn was cute, exactly like the picture, but the service was just horrible. The girl who let us in did not even know what she was doing. We asked her questions about the property and she had no idea about anything. The owner was not friendly and too busy booking and planning weddings for the weekend that she could not even say hello.

The room was quaint, kind of what we expected except really dusty. The breakfast was delicious but that was the only good thing about the place. Stay away, its in the middle of no where and a good 45 minutes from Cambria..........pay a little more for a better area and possibly friendlier owners.

• Liked — Leaving
  • Disliked — Arriving
  • Stayed January 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank crystalstarz78
Sacramento, CA
Reviewed 30 April 2008

My wife and I booked at this hotel because it came up under a search for San Louis Obispo Hotels; however it's about 20 miles outside of SLO on the other side of Pismo.

The Bad:

1. The first sign that this was a bad decision was the first second we drove up. This B&B is not located in any sort of scenic area by any means, something you will not see in pictures. In fact, it is located smack in the middle of a middle-lower class residential area, directly across from some low-rent apartments. If we were not going to be charged with an extra nights stay, we would have driven off without setting foot inside. Hey at least there's a community liquor store a block away, so you can always pick up a bottle of Thunderbird to fit in.

2. The reservation company assured my wife that the room we reserved had a private bathroom in the room. Well it did have a private bathroom, but it was located up the hall. Had we been told the truth about this, we would not have stayed.

3. The residential neighborhood in which this B&B is located has everything you would expect from a residential neighborhood: Dogs, Harley Davidson’s, Peacocks. Bring ear plugs.

4. Apparently the B&B did not bill us correctly for our stay and decided to withdrawal an extra nights stay from spending account without permission a month later. Good thing we have overdraft coverage and extra money in the checking account.

The Good:

1. Breakfast was served on time and it was delicious. We had Strata one morning, some kind of Bread pudding the next and finally French toast. All accompanied by fresh fruit and juices.

2. Staff is very nice and helpful.

3. Room was clean and spacious. We stayed in the lover's nest.

4. Bed was comfortable.

• Liked — Breakfast
  • Disliked — Location
  • Stayed April 2008, travelled as a couple
4 Thank ksherms
Nashville, Tennessee
Reviewed 3 December 2007

We celebrated our honeymoon here and had a great stay. The gardens at the house were huge and fun to explore. The town of Nipomo is very small with not much going on, but with Avila Beach and San Luis Obispo so close there is lots to do. We did a package deal where we bought two nights, a round of golf at Monarch, and $50 gift certificate to Steamers for dinner and everything turned out perfect.
The breakfast and coffee they provided in the morning was very tasty.

• Liked — The great house!
  • Disliked — Nothing to do in Nipomo
  • Stayed October 2006, travelled as a couple
1 Thank gkh_98
Also consider these accommodations in or near Nipomo
Hampton Inn & Suites Arroyo Grande/Pismo Beach Area
#1 of 5 in Arroyo Grande
Holiday Inn Santa Maria
Holiday Inn Santa Maria
#7 of 21 in Santa Maria

Been to Kaleidoscope Inn? Share your experiences!