Kaleidoscope Inn
US$102
US$99
Motel 6 Santa Maria(Santa Maria)
US$74
US$95
US$91
Holiday Motel(Santa Maria)
US$56
See what travellers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 21 January 2010

I do not understand the degree to which other guests complained regarding location. You do approach the Inn on a street that is not overly refined, but once inside the whole experiance was just marvalous.
The Inn is surrounded 360 by gardens. The people we encountered walking to the local steakhouse waved and were pleasant. One gent even insisted we pet his happy Bichon Frise.
It rained cats and dogs but that only added to the comfort level as we love to be cozy in a room while it's nasty outdoors.The grounds are just remarkably beautiful, well maintained and quiet. Our room was neat and clean. We needed some supplies for our day trip and 3 minutes away was a modern area with a Vons, Subway, banks, multiple fast food joints, and locally owned restrauntes. There is a Sushi place next to the Taco Bell that was over the top. Had the sushi platter. Excellent.
3 minutes walk from the Inn gate was the famous Jockos. I had the Chicken and Ravioli, my wife had the spencer. Cooked over red oak with beans and an outstanding salsa. To much to finish. Beware! I met people from all over the state while waiting 2 1/2 hrs to get in. Recommend reservations.
Carolayne was a delight and I did not meet the person others have spoken of. Maybe some of the urban travelers are more fearful and picky. Will be back here next possible chance.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 January 2010

Kaleidoscope Inn rocks! This is a nice, clean B&B which has been very nicely restored by the owners. They have several different types of rooms to choose from, including some detatched units, like a standalone stone-built cottage. The grounds are nicely maintained and manicured; they have a gazebo in back and a nice patio area to relax. I think they even host weddings on the property. They're just down the road from so many great things to do, like wine tasting in Edna Valley, Oceano Dunes, Pismo Beach, and more. They put on a great breakfast in the morning. It's not a fancy, elegant place - which is a good thing in my book. They're a little more casual and laid back, in a good way. The owners seem very nice and went out of their way to ensure we had a good stay. I highly recommend Kaleidoscope in next time you're passing thru the Central Coast!

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 December 2009

The rooms are well decorated and furnished, with lots of amenities. The bathrooms for the second-floor room we had are down the hall a very short way and are large and comfortable, one of which has a spa tub with jets. The inn is a beautiful Victorian mansion with a large living room and sitting room with a wall full of books and a large flat-screen TV. The breakfast was delicious and plentiful and the staff friendly and helpful. The gardens were a particular treat; they are large and gorgeous. While the inn is situated in a small suburban neighborhood on the edge of Nipomo, it is a great getaway if you want to enjoy the beach, the Pismo Dunes, and other local attractions.

Stayed: December 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 26 July 2009

My boyfriend and I have stayed at multiple bed and breakfasts across the country. We stayed here during the course of a vacation driving from San Francisco to Los Angeles. The owners don't live at the residence, and we were the only ones there that night. The male owner was there awaiting our arrival, and we were checked in without incident. He was very nice. The house itself is very nice and the gardens are as well. The neighborhood however looks like a ghetto. I was fearful someone was going to break in the house and murder me. The next morning the cook arrived to make us breakfast. She made some sort of keish that was the worst thing I ever tasted in my life. I managed to eat half of it because I didn't want to offend her, and my boyfriend ate half as well for the same reason. After breakfast, we went upstairs to finish packing up and both of us started to feel physically sick. 4 trips to the bathroom and we were ready to leave. On our way out the door we encountered the female owner who was cleaning up. It was hard not to notice her appearance due to the white tank top with no bra. We could not get out of there fast enough. Disgusting.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank jjak2001
KaleidoscopeInn, Owner at Kaleidoscope Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 21 December 2009

First of all we respect the rights of everyone to have their own opinion and understand we will never be able to please everyone 100%. But that said, we do work very hard to create a pleasant experience for all our guests.

We have owned the Kaleidoscope Inn for nearly 10 years and run it as a successful business. It has been a B&B for over 25 years. I don't believe that would be possible if the review was an accurate portrayal of the Inn.

I don't believe it would be effective to address each point of the review, but would like to address a couple of the criticisms presented.

We fully accept we are in a neighborhood environment, but it is far from a ghetto and not at all dangerous. We have an almost non-existent crime rate. Yes we did have a home near us that used to let their dog out against animal control laws, but hat has long since been addressed.

Our cook is an award winning chef and we are lucky to have her willing to prepare breakfast for our guests. We have had countless positive comments from our guests raving about what a great breakfast they had and asking for many of the recipes. There are always things we would like to improve on as owners, but changing our cook is not something we believe needs to be addressed.

We have read all the reviews posted on our Inn and though we may not agree with all of them, we feel this is the only one that is not factual or an accurate description of the guests experience. We are always open to constructive criticism and are continually working to make our guests experience as positive and comfortable as possible. Any feedback to help us improve our service is always gratefully appreciated.

We hope to see you soon.

Reviewed 23 May 2009

I really wanted to like this place. I think there are people out there who would really appreciate this place, but it wasn't for my wife and I.

The service was excellent. 5/5. The owner Carolayne came a few minutes late to open up, but we were the only guests and she lives across town so it's understandable. She was extremely helpful. Opened up the laundry room for us (my baby peed on me), set up a separate cot for our baby, offered to put on hot water, etc. Went above and beyond the norm.

The rooms we stayed in, Lover’s Nest, was nice and big. On the corner, lots of windows. Only thing is it may be noisy with many others in the house. I wouldn’t know because we were the only guests. I didn't notice it, but my wife thought the deep plush carpet was dusty. The windows left something to be desired. Some of them don’t lock. Supposedly safe area but I wasn’t completely reassured (see below), also as I was completely alone in a foreign Victorian style "haunted-house" mansion with high ceilings, deep dark red carpet, colorfully patterned wallpaper, and classic creaky stairs. Bed is (laying in it currently) comfortable enough. Also the private bathroom, although nice with double sinks, is down the hallway past several other rooms. Not an issue for me as we are all alone, but could be for others. Also the bathroom window wouldn’t close all the way. Overall 2/5.

You don’t come here looking for a destination hotel, but the neighborhood still leaves something to be desired. There is a saloon/tavern about 400 feet away and a small apartment complex right across the street. I guess we shouldn't have expected much, but we've never been in Nipomo before. 1/5.

The grounds and garden are colorful very well kept. Lots of flowers, a few gazebos, a small fountain, and multiple sitting areas. People hold weddings there. 4/5.

They have a lot of amenities. TV, lots of books and DVDs, free bottled water, popcorn, use of kitchen, and free wireless internet which is a big thing for me. I get so annoyed at big hotels that charge you an arm and a leg for a room then nickel and dime you for internet access. It is incidentally 2 blocks from a very highly rated (but cheap) steak restaurant, Jocko’s. Overall 4/5.

Breakfast was very very mediocore. I thought Bed and Breakfast places were supposed to have great food. We did miss the homemade fudge the evening before because we checked in too late. The breakfast was scrambled eggs (they didn't even ask how we wanted it), skillet potatoes, and fresh fruit. The OJ was incidentally expired by 11 days. I drank it anyways because it looked, smelled, and tasted fine. Food 2/5.

Usually customer service really makes the difference for me, but it wasn't enough in this case to make up for it's deficiencies.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled with family