“Hope no one else is in your room” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Lions Gate Hotel - A Lexington Legacy Hotel

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Lions Gate Hotel - A Lexington Legacy Hotel
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in North Highlands
San Diego, California
“Hope no one else is in your room”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2014

The short version: someone had been using my room (one of the "suites") unbeknownst to the hotel staff (had rigged the doors from closing all the way). When moved across the hall, found the same issue with the doors being rigged open. Not safe at all. Accommodations are egregious.

The long version:
I checked into the hotel on a Saturday afternoon as I was attending a wedding on the grounds that evening. I was "upgraded" to a suite for free, which I was initially happy with. The front desk attendant was very friendly and polite. She had a hard time finding my reservation since my name was spelled wrong somewhere, but eventually she was able to find it. She asked me if I preferred the 1st floor or the 2nd floor and mentioned that it all depended on how safety conscious I was (um, ok?) considering that the 1st floor rooms opened onto the street. This was in contrast to the 2nd floor room which had an interior hallway and required a key to get into the hallway. Since I was staying alone (and after the safety comment), I asked for the 2nd floor room.

The hotel layout is somewhat confusing but I eventually found my building. The interior hallway that was supposed to be locked was not, and there wasn't even a place for anyone to swipe a key card to get in (i.e. it could never actually be locked). Didn't think much of that until I walked to my room where the door appeared to be ajar. I pushed the door and it opened - no key required. I searched the room for someone and found that indeed someone had been in there. The toilet seat was up, soap had been opened, used and thrown into the sink, the hand towel used and dirty, crumpled on the counter, the bed had been slept in and there were stains all over it. I called the front desk and they sent up the head housekeeper immediately. I checked the door and found a coffee-stirring straw had been jammed into the door latch, preventing it from closing all the way. The head housekeeper had me change rooms to the suite across the hall where I found the same issue with the door (straw jammed into latch) but the room was clean. She returned shortly after with new keys and a security guy. I told them that I had found the straw in the new door too and was nervous that someone might try to come in while I was there. The security guy told me to make sure I locked the door with the deadbolt and with the security latch while the cleaning lady laughed at me. I asked about when I wasn't in the room and someone tried to get in to steal my stuff, to which the housekeeper laughed again and said "call 911."

Needless to say, I was terrified to go back to my room alone at the end of the wedding so I had my uncle, the bride, and a friend walk me back. Thankfully, no one had tried to break in and I managed to fall asleep in the "transient room." I didn't want to cause any issues while I was there since I was there for my cousin's wedding, but I will NEVER stay at this hotel and highly advise against anyone staying here as well. In all reality, I would have LEFT and never returned if the wedding wasn't at the hotel that night.

Besides the fact that people were breaking into the rooms and staying in them, the suite itself was pitiful. There was no full length mirror anywhere in the massive suite; the towels were thread bare and falling apart; the walk-in shower glass did not come out far enough so your showers end up covering the bathroom in water; the sinks had chips in the glass; there were no robes (this is the suite for God's sake!); and the bed linens were poor quality. The pool was small, warm, and salty (gross!); the included breakfast was sad, but for $4 more you can upgrade to the warm breakfast (recommended if you dare to stay).

Overall, I was pretty horrified that this hotel is operational. Good luck to those of you who try to stay here.

Room Tip: Don't pick anything near the main street!
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank Nicolette C
LGHManagement, Guest Relations Manager at Lions Gate Hotel - A Lexington Legacy Hotel, responded to this review, 14 August 2014
On behalf of our Lions Gate Team we would like to express my apology for the obvious inconvenience that you endured on your recent stay.
After learning of the break-in we conducted a full investigation with our hotel security, McClellan park security and Sacramento police department. We take the safety of our guests and employees very seriously. I can assure you we have taken additional steps to secure access to all our guest rooms and hallways.
I am truly sorry you had this experience I am grateful for your honest feedback.
I hope you have fond memories of the wedding celebration.

Sincerely

Lionsgate Hotel

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Chico, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2014

First of all, the location of this hotel is right smack in the middle of the ghetto. That alone should discourage people from staying there. However, in our case, we didn’t have a lot of choice because we were attending a cat show, also at the McClellan facility, and the hotel was somewhat convenient to that location. After spending a horribly hot long day in their conference hall facility where people and pets alike were miserable from the heat, we headed over to check in to our room, the room I had reserved weeks prior, just to find out that they had given it to someone else. I very specifically reserved this room where I had stayed the year prior, AND at the special group rate. When I called to reserve this same room again this year, they told me I could not have it for the group rate, but I wanted this room so agreed to pay their normal rate. They seem to change their rates as they see fit. There were several reasons for wanting this same room. We had been told by several people that many of their rooms were tiny, not nice accommodations at all, and Room 5120 was a decent room for us last year. It was also close to our friends so that we could all walk together back and forth to their restaurant for drinks and dinner and feel a little bit safer about being together in this sketchy neighborhood. At least the hotel room was sort of within the same parking lot as the restaurant. We were really going to attempt to use the awful “upstairs” room that they gave us (by the way, this place is NOT ADA compliant), but there was a screaming baby across the hall and the room was HOT, HOT, HOT and the A/C didn’t work, and we both have knee problems and just couldn’t haul all of our stuff up the stairs. When we went back to the office to demand the room we had reserved weeks prior, the girl was more concerned about the fact that it wasn’t her fault than to solve the problem. All we wanted to do was talk to a manager, and she just kept repeating that there was no manager, that there would be no manager there until Monday (this was Saturday), that there was absolutely no way to contact a manager until Monday. We told her that this needed to be corrected and they needed to give us our discount for whatever room they would give us. She then tells us she’s going to put us in a “cottage” and starts to direct us to the location, telling us to get in our car, go out of the parking lot…and I stopped right there. First I asked her if she was going to give us any discount for the room, and she said, “No,” the rate was still the same, and there was no way we were going to walk from some other location to their restaurant to have dinner with our friends, so we simply left. This is really unfortunate for us, because not only will we never stay at this facility again, we will no longer be attending cat shows at this facility because of this experience. And about the conference hall where they held the cat show, as I mentioned before, it was horribly hot and miserable. In addition, unlike our other venues where we hold cat shows and people have the option of bringing their own lunch, NO outside food or drink was allowed, so they gouged everyone for food and drink…$11 for a hamburger, basic salad, or chicken sandwich (those were the only lunch choices), $2.50 for a soda, $2 for bottled water. Did I mention how hot this building was? If you wanted to stay hydrated all day, it would cost you a LOT of money! Everything about this place is awful. Customer service is horrid. They do not care about their customers at all. I do have to say, on the one hand, this may have been a blessing in disguise after reading the other reviews posted by people who were “eaten alive” by bed bugs and/or ticks in their rooms. So glad we did not sleep there last night. My recommendation to anyone even thinking about staying at this place…RUN FAST AND RUN FAR!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Lorna B
On behalf of our Lions Gate Team we would like to express my apology for the obvious inconvenience that you endured on recent visit. I have researched the reservation and daily logs from our front desk department I was able to determine the staff members that were on duty during your visit. I have spoken with each of them and their immediate supervisor regarding your concerns and we have taken appropriate actions. Unfortunately, your initial request for room 5120 was unavailable upon arrival due to an extended stay guest, it is for that reason that we do our best to accommodate special requests, but cannot guarantee a specific room number.
Our Hotel is fully ADA compliant, please accept my apologies the front desk agent should have directed you to the elevator.
We always strive to have quality service and excellent relationships with all our guests and provide everyone with a pleasant and memorable stay.
Again, we apologize and hope to regain your trust and business back at our Lions Gate Hotel.
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2014 via mobile

Checked in Wednesday afternoon was Given room key when we walked in it was a disaster. Wasn't cleaned sheets on floor so I figured no big deal simple mistake. We got a new room and a/c didn't work we thought it would take a while to kick in but never did had to call front desk for a fan. Next morning house keeping woke us up even tho check out is at 12. But no big deal she rang the door bell we let her know. But what was irritating is the 2 times after that and keep in mind not a knock or anything just walk in. One of the times we where changing so I was completely naked and the lady walked in seen me and walked out. I felt like my privacy was invaded. Save ur money and stay at a extended stay better. Ull avoid being miserable in a hot room

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank amer29
Dear Guest,

On behalf of our Lions Gate Team we would like to express my apology for the obvious inconvenience that you have experienced on your last stay.
I have spoken with our houskeeping and front desk agents and implemented new procedures to insure this does not happen again.

With renewed apologies,
Lionsgate Hotel.
Cloverdale, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2014

I had two weekend conferences to attend at Lion's Gate. rooms assigned were very different.
#1 downstairs was roomy. #2 upstairs was small, the bathroom pockets door would not close. No elevator to the second floor. Steps were like a fire exit ( steep and metal). Made it difficult to carry luggage and materials for conference, Venue #1 had meetings at conference center about three block away. (poor acoustics). Venue #2 was a smaller group and meetings were at the hotel. Meeting rooms comfortable. Cocktails and buffets were outside in a nice patio. Did not use the pool...too many kids.
Consider for a group meeting. Would not stay there if just traveling through.

Room Tip: Wish I could remember the names of the barrack rooms. sorry. Just ask for down stairs, fi you have a...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank rebecca c
LGHManagement, Director of Operations. at Lions Gate Hotel - A Lexington Legacy Hotel, responded to this review, 21 October 2015
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback. please accept our sincere apologies.
I'm sorry you never got to stay at our Hotel, Rarely do we find ourselves in a position due to unforeseen circumstances were we have to make the difficult decision to relocate guests to another property. If needed a complimentary shuttle service is always offered,

Sincerely

Mr. Terry Stewart
Director of Operations
california
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 June 2014

Checked into hotel afternoon of May 16, 2014..went to restaurant and then to room. Room nice as expected, since we had stayed at hotel last year. Went out to meet friends for drinks and came back about 8p..discovered a/c not working..very hot & stuffy. Called front desk..Amy said would send maintence person out. When he came out told us because room had been closed all day, it would take a while for ac to work..didn't sound right, but we waited..we had a small 12 inch fan that happened to be in our truck and we plugged it in...A/C still not working..called front desk again..Amy said would have to wait till morning & would send a repairman out..in the meantime, just use the fans?? what fans, I asked..she said maintence said we had fans..advised her no..only our small one..she then send 2 large fans out to our room..room by this time was very hot..we had front door open and fans going but didn't help much..we finally were able to open window and prop fans in it..we finally had to close door and attempt to sleep..I felt very insecure with window open all night as we were on the 1st floor, and the only thing separating us from Watts ave was a parking lot and fence.

Next morning as we were on our way out the repair man was headiing into our room, so we assumed that ac would be fixed & working by the time we got back from our travels that day. I stopped at front desk and was surprised to not even getting an apology. I told Amy that I felt we should be compensated for the awful night we had, and she asked me what I wanted..by now I was mad & upset & tired, so I said I felt that we should be compensated for 1 night..was told she couldn't make decision, & would need to talk to the manager,(understandable) and would have a decision for us when we came back later that day. That was ok by me. So I stopped by desk on way to your restaurant to have dinner with friends. was told 30.00 was all the hotel could credit us. as supposedly ALL rooms had been affected (and what did that have to do with us??).asked for manager, not there, asked for his tel #..was told didn't have one (really!!)..asked for his superior, and finally was given your card, but was told you weren't available either. So gave up and had a great dinner in your restaurant, very friendly staff and food excellent!

Back to room for 2d night, expecting a nice cool room..room was hot, biut we figured had been closed up all day, so made switch was on cool & turned on a/c..pretty tired and it was late, so we went to sleep..woke up around 4a....HOT!!!!!!!!!!!!! assumed a/c still not working, set fans up again in window and tried to fall asleep again..took cool showers.. no relief..at around 7:30 or so called front desk, Felicia. was told heat comes on automatically when temp outside becomes 68 degrees..and we should have turned the switch off. when I asked why we weren't told, she said :" we should have called at 4a, & we would have been told"!! told her since we had problems with ac earlier, we thought it hadn't been fixed & knew from night before that nothing could be done till morning. As you can imagine, we were NOT happy about this..but packed up & went home..we had stayed before & it was a wonderful experience..which made this visit even more terrible. I was a supervisor in cust service for the phone company before retiring, and cust service means a lot to me..this was NOT the kind of service I expected from this hotel.

Room Tip: room itself was very nice, but make sure you understand the instructions for a/c, as they don't...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank briannaCalifornia
LGHManagement, Manager at Lions Gate Hotel - A Lexington Legacy Hotel, responded to this review, 30 June 2014
Dear Guest,

On behalf of our Lions Gate Team we would like to express my apology for the obvious inconvenience that you and your husband endured during your stay with us.

I have researched the daily logs from our front desk and engineering departments I was able to determine the staff members that were on duty during your visit. I have spoken with each of them and their immediate supervisor regarding your concerns and we have taken appropriate actions.

With renewed apologies,

Lionsgate Hotel Management
Wheatland, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2014

My husband and I decided to spend the night in the Sacramento area. We booked through Priceline's Name Your Own Price and was awarded the Lions Gate Hotel. It is located on the old McClellan AFB which was neat.

The room was comfortable for our one night stay. The bathroom was outdated and a little tight, but sufficient for our needs.

The lobby was beautifully decorated. The free breakfast was fine--nothing spectacular, but nothing bad about it.

My only real complaint (and it is not exclusive to this hotel) is that the pillows were down or down alternative. My husband and I both hate these types of pillows because we prefer something firmer. We usually bring our own pillows when staying at hotels, but didn't bring them this time. Beside that, the bed was comfortable.

The room also has a mini fridge and microwave. We didn't need it, but it is a nice addition to a hotel room just in case.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Kristen T
grandmakarenjo
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2014

The hotel is an old air force base. Beautiful grounds. The room is small but nice. Free hot breakfast, free wifi in the room, refrigerator , microwave and comfortable bed. We came for a
conference but would stay again for pleasure. Staff was awesome.

Room Tip: We were in the manor house rooms and were farthest from the pool and breakfast but it was a pretty w...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Ramada Sacramento
#46 of 80 in Sacramento
Americas Best Value Inn Downtown
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Sacramento

Been to Lions Gate Hotel - A Lexington Legacy Hotel? Share your experiences!