“Savings versus health”

Motel 6 Palm Springs North
San Diego, California
“Savings versus health”
Reviewed 9 April 2012

There was apparently a lack of review about this place so I am contributing one now when it's still fresh.

Pros
1. The major reason for us to stay here is the price. It was about 75% of the price compare with any other Motel 6 in the Palm Springs area.
2. Friendly front desk.

Cons
1. Big NO NO if you are a non-smoker like us!!! Smoking and non-smoking rooms are in the same building and they share the same AC and air ventilation system! That means "non-smoking" room is full of all the secondhand smoke from other smoking rooms. Many rooms turned off AC and let the doors and windows wide open just so that we can breathe a little better. (Fortunately it is not too hot or cold at this time of the year.)
The smoke would come in again if you turned on the light in the bathroom, because the ventilation would be on in the same time.

2. Wi-Fi is not free. It costs $2.99 for 24 hours. But it's a minor thing.

3. Shower can sometimes be only lukewarm.

Room Tip: Horrible place for non-smokers. I guess it's a good value for smokers.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank SDCA2011

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Arizona
Reviewed 23 March 2012

***I am rating this based on the fact it is a motel 6 so please note that I am not rating it on the same scale one might judge other hotels/motels***... Pretty much when you pay the price we did...you are not expecting much.
We had a little room in the hallway corner at the back of the motel (most other rooms I saw opened to the outside but there was at least one hallway with indoor opening rooms).
Pros: It had a bed, working shower with hot water, working toilet, right off I-10...and was the cheapest priced hotel in the area.
Cons: The carpet did not make it to the wall...and the not so tiny crack between the two was filthy (I doubt it has every been cleaned). There were a few other cleanliness issues, such as random Cheetos on the floor, some stains, lots of hairs, etc...Heating/Cooling unit is one that is either on or off, so we would turn it on because very cold (drapes were moving from wind outside even though window was closed so not a great seal) but then would wake up very hot...turn it off got cold, turned on...and so on.
To sum it up: would I stay here more than 1 night? No. But was I disappointed based on the fact I was just there for a few hours of rest & shower and was being cheap? No.
As long as you understand what a Motel 6 hotel is and still don't mind you should be fine.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank AZ3
Reviewed 17 October 2011

A standard Motel 6. Good location for a night while travelling on I-10. No fridge or microwave. Nice pool. Clean sheets.

• Stayed October 2011
2 Thank watcher760
Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed 21 April 2011

As someone who's stayed in a TON of hotels, motels and rodeside inns during my life, I generally avoid Motel 6 at all costs. I grudgingly booked this one 6 months ago (luckily it turned out to be Coachella weekend) and I got a really good rate. We ended up getting a room for about $45 a night and split a couple ways was right in my budget!

This hotel is IMPECCABLY clean. I couldn't believe it. The bathroom had zero mold, zero wear and tear on the tiles, ceiling or molding and no discoloration or water damage. It also had a new and clean BATHTUB which is often hard to find in a Motel 6. True, there were no shampoos. Only toilet paper and a little bar of soap, but jeez... bring your own shampoo. There was free cable, free HBO, a pool (unheated), vending machines, washers and dryers and Ice.

Wifi is $2.99 for each 24 hour period. You buy a card and type the code into the website. That's fine with me. It was really fast.

The pool was kind of cold but they cleaned it every morning which ruled. This place was a great CLEAN and no-frills place to stay for Coachella and a GREAT value. A lot of other budget hotels in Palm Springs crank their prices up to $250 a night for this weekend. I even ended up having to check into a smoking room for the first night. I never checked out because it was so clean and it didn't smell like smoke at ALL.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the 1st floor for pool access!
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled with friends
New Jersey
Reviewed 21 April 2010

I booked this hotel as a place to stay for the Coachella Music Festival in Indio about 25-30 minutes down the road. Didn't want to pay super high prices in Palm Springs prices so I opted for this place at around $85 a night. Arrived at the hotel at about 1:00 am of the day I was supposed to check in. Went to talk to the (totally incompetent) desk person about maybe letting us check in early. He first told me there was no record of my reservation. Killer...just what I wanted to hear after a 17+ hour drive. Went through the trouble of finding the months old confirmation email on the trusty iphone, gave the number to mr.nightdesk, he takes 15 minutes, and STILL, no record. Turns out it wasn't coming up in the system because the day hadn't rolled over yet. Their computers looked like there were from 1993 or so, no update guys?

Anyway, after being informed I would have to wait until 7 am to check in, my friends and I said screw it and checked in for the night. The rooms were clean enough. There was nothing in the rooms, not even mini shampoo bottles, plastic cups, or any of the things I imagine are standards in even the cheapest of inner city, hourly rate motels.

The rest of the stay was rather uneventful. Left everyday at ten and got back at 2:00 am, so there was no issue falling asleep. The hotel had a pool, vending machines, free HBO, NO free wifi ($3 or 4 a day). A couple things are convenient for Coachella goers: a Denny's next door as well as a Circle K with a place to get drinks, snacks, etc. Also, it is quite close to the festival grounds, right off the highway, and if splitting with friends the cost isn't that bad in comparison to what you would pay in Indio. This place was sold out for the weekend and I saw a bunch of concert goers, so it seems like a popular spot for the fest.

All in all, don't expect anything special about the hotel if you choose to stay here. I would shop around if I were you, but if this is one of your only options it certainly gets the job done. Not the spot for a romantic couples weekend, but functional for sure.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled with friends
2 Thank ca8790
Also consider these accommodations in or near North Palm Springs
Aqua Soleil Hotel & Mineral Water Spa
Aqua Soleil Hotel & Mineral Wate...
#8 of 22 in Desert Hot Springs
#48 of 72 in Palm Springs
Hyundae Resort And Spa
Hyundae Resort And Spa
#21 of 22 in Desert Hot Springs

Been to Motel 6 Palm Springs North? Share your experiences!