“Off the Highway”

Motel 6 Palm Springs North
Colonie, New York
“Off the Highway”
Reviewed 29 April 2013

Booked this hotel for the Coachella Music Festival weekend. It's farther away from the festival and the cheapest place we could find. We used the shuttle service that we picked up at Agua Caliente Resort. It's about 3 exits down I-10 from this hotel. The hotel is right off the highway. The hotel was sold out the whole weekend we were there. When I made my reservations the only room left was a ADA (handicapped) unit. The bathroom had a roll-in shower which is basically half the bathroom is the shower. Not a big problem just took a little getting used to. No problem with it & the water temperature was good. Didn't like that the fan came on with the light. Can be annoying in the middle of the night. You can hear when others are using their showers so it can be noisey. There was no hairdryer so I was disappointed about that cause I didn't bring one. No refrigerator, no drawers for clothes. Had to live out of the suitcase for the 4 days we were there. Not many outlets in the room so was a problem when charging Ipad & Cell phones. TV is an older type & some channels didn't come in well. Had to pay for Wi-Fi each day. Beds were fine. Its near a truckstop so I think truckers stay there. I got woken up at 5AM by some utility workers that must have been staying there. They were filling their coolers outside my room. Making a lot of noise slamming doors, talking & the sound of ice being broken up & poured into coolers. It's next to a Dennys & gas station. Dead bolt didn't work very well. It was broken. Pool was dirty & full of sand when we got there. They had a sand storm before we got there so they had to empty the pool & clean it. So it wasn't available for 2 days. But they it was sparkling clean after that. 2 nights in the middle of the night (3AM) the fire alarms went off. Scared the life out of us. There was no problem don't know why they went off. There was a sewage smell around the pool. Not sure what that was about. Front desk people were nice. The grounds were kept up pretty well. All in all it was an okay stay considering we weren't at the hotel a lot of the time. Just wish we could have had better nights sleep.

Room Tip: Try to get a room by the pool so you are not by the parked cars & main road. They would be quiet...
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Sarasota, Florida
Reviewed 4 March 2013 via mobile

Ive stayed atart this hotel many times, over the years and have always been pleased. The front desk staff are always fast and efficient. The rooms are clean and the bed is comfortable. Everything the traveler needs.

• Stayed February 2013
1 Thank ChuckMosher
Fort Lewis, Washington
Reviewed 14 February 2013

The room was clean enough, and exactly what I expect from a Motel 6. We only stopped to sleep, and didn't even test the shower. Slept on the bed and scooted out before the sun rose. For that, it was a bit too high priced. I'd expect to pay around $49 for this stay, not the $76 that we were charged.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with family
San Diego, California
Reviewed 9 April 2012

There was apparently a lack of review about this place so I am contributing one now when it's still fresh.

Pros
1. The major reason for us to stay here is the price. It was about 75% of the price compare with any other Motel 6 in the Palm Springs area.
2. Friendly front desk.

Cons
1. Big NO NO if you are a non-smoker like us!!! Smoking and non-smoking rooms are in the same building and they share the same AC and air ventilation system! That means "non-smoking" room is full of all the secondhand smoke from other smoking rooms. Many rooms turned off AC and let the doors and windows wide open just so that we can breathe a little better. (Fortunately it is not too hot or cold at this time of the year.)
The smoke would come in again if you turned on the light in the bathroom, because the ventilation would be on in the same time.

2. Wi-Fi is not free. It costs $2.99 for 24 hours. But it's a minor thing.

3. Shower can sometimes be only lukewarm.

Room Tip: Horrible place for non-smokers. I guess it's a good value for smokers.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank SDCA2011

Travellers are raving about these North Palm Springs hotels

Arizona
Reviewed 23 March 2012

***I am rating this based on the fact it is a motel 6 so please note that I am not rating it on the same scale one might judge other hotels/motels***... Pretty much when you pay the price we did...you are not expecting much.
We had a little room in the hallway corner at the back of the motel (most other rooms I saw opened to the outside but there was at least one hallway with indoor opening rooms).
Pros: It had a bed, working shower with hot water, working toilet, right off I-10...and was the cheapest priced hotel in the area.
Cons: The carpet did not make it to the wall...and the not so tiny crack between the two was filthy (I doubt it has every been cleaned). There were a few other cleanliness issues, such as random Cheetos on the floor, some stains, lots of hairs, etc...Heating/Cooling unit is one that is either on or off, so we would turn it on because very cold (drapes were moving from wind outside even though window was closed so not a great seal) but then would wake up very hot...turn it off got cold, turned on...and so on.
To sum it up: would I stay here more than 1 night? No. But was I disappointed based on the fact I was just there for a few hours of rest & shower and was being cheap? No.
As long as you understand what a Motel 6 hotel is and still don't mind you should be fine.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank AZ3
Reviewed 17 October 2011

A standard Motel 6. Good location for a night while travelling on I-10. No fridge or microwave. Nice pool. Clean sheets.

• Stayed October 2011
2 Thank watcher760
Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed 21 April 2011

As someone who's stayed in a TON of hotels, motels and rodeside inns during my life, I generally avoid Motel 6 at all costs. I grudgingly booked this one 6 months ago (luckily it turned out to be Coachella weekend) and I got a really good rate. We ended up getting a room for about $45 a night and split a couple ways was right in my budget!

This hotel is IMPECCABLY clean. I couldn't believe it. The bathroom had zero mold, zero wear and tear on the tiles, ceiling or molding and no discoloration or water damage. It also had a new and clean BATHTUB which is often hard to find in a Motel 6. True, there were no shampoos. Only toilet paper and a little bar of soap, but jeez... bring your own shampoo. There was free cable, free HBO, a pool (unheated), vending machines, washers and dryers and Ice.

Wifi is $2.99 for each 24 hour period. You buy a card and type the code into the website. That's fine with me. It was really fast.

The pool was kind of cold but they cleaned it every morning which ruled. This place was a great CLEAN and no-frills place to stay for Coachella and a GREAT value. A lot of other budget hotels in Palm Springs crank their prices up to $250 a night for this weekend. I even ended up having to check into a smoking room for the first night. I never checked out because it was so clean and it didn't smell like smoke at ALL.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the 1st floor for pool access!
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near North Palm Springs
Aqua Soleil Hotel & Mineral Water Spa
Aqua Soleil Hotel & Mineral Wate...
#8 of 22 in Desert Hot Springs
Vagabond Inn Palm Springs
#47 of 73 in Palm Springs
Travelodge Inn and Suites Yucca Valley/Joshua Tree Nat'l Park
Hampton Inn & Suites Banning-Beaumont

Been to Motel 6 Palm Springs North? Share your experiences!