“Stay here if you liked the 1980s”

GuestHouse Inn & Suites Norwalk
Ranked #4 of 6 Hotels in Norwalk
Reviewed 16 May 2014 via mobile

Hard mattress, outside entry, a quarter of a mile walk to the room and a CRAPPY big 1980s TV. The room was SUPER HOT when I got there and took an hour to cool down. The desk clerk was irritating and slow. I would NEVER stay there again!!!

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank RQ-Traveler12

Reviewed 28 March 2014

Beds were comfortable. The shower fixtures were outdated and I had to stand RIGHT under shower head to reach the water. Too cold to enjoy the pool, but the courtyard near it was nice. Breakfast was good. The microwave we "rented" was old and dirty, and the laundry facilities were hideous and in a part of the hotel that did not feel safe at all!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Calista M
Guesthousenorwalk, Manager at GuestHouse Inn & Suites Norwalk, responded to this reviewResponded 15 April 2014

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience of your recent stay with us. We work very hard to provide a high level of product and service to meet and exceed our guest espectations. However, it appears that we have not meet these standards with your last stay. All our reviews are VERY important for us and we also share them with our staff. We have addressed your concerns and have made changes accordingly.

Once again, we thank you for your time and for choosing our hotel as part of your destination.

Management

Reviewed 13 March 2014

I picked this hotel to stay in for a Disneyland vacation. I chose this hotel even though it was a bit further away because the price was better than most and they offered free wi-fi. The wi-fi was very important for our stay, but it did not work. I called the front desk 3 times during my stay and told them it was not working. They did not offer much help other than "try again".
The room itself was ok, nothing special, but not awful. There was a door chain on the floor inside the room next to the door, even though there was a new chain put on the door. That just leads me to believe that it was broken at some point- not sure how to feel about that.
There was trash and empty glasses left by the elevator that was there when we got there and then still there 24 hours later.
When i checked out, the front desk girl did not ask how my stay was or any questions at all- just asked my room number and then said "Ok thanks".
The constuction outside made it a little ugly and difficult to get to- we even missed it and had to do a u-turn even though u-turns were not allowed.
Overall I would say it might be worth it to stay here if you are hard up for a cheap place- but it was not worth it to me. Espcecially, as I said, I pretty much booked the room because wi-fi was included and then it ended up not working and no one even cared to ask how the experience was.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank emilyambro
Reviewed 5 February 2014

This modern, up to date hotel is within eye view of the southbound Santa Ana Freeway/Interstate 5 in Norwalk at the Rosecrans exit, which is how it was found. At the time of this review (February, 2014) the freeway is undergoing widening and reconstruction, including the on and off ramps. The construction will last into 2016 according to Caltrans. Patience is needed to get off the long southbound offramp, but you get to the hotel just fine.

The green background and white lettered sign makes you think of that big decades old hotel chain, but as far as I know, this place has no connection to it. Check in was courteous and efficient, and the desk clerks knew the answers to guest's questions, and effortlessly gave them. There's six buildings, some with two stories, some with three and some with elevators, and some not. All rooms are easy to find with the first digit of the four digits of the room number indicating the building you will be staying at. Easy geographical layout of the property to find the rooms.

The rooms have electronic keys. The room was extremely clean, spacious, and with a king size bed which was with a new and firm mattress, with four square pillows to rest your head on. Everything worked, including the television, heater, air conditioner, fan, plumbing fixtures hot and cold, and there's an ironing board with iron in the room too. What's missing that you might want is a microwave ($10 extra per night) and a motel size refrigerator ($10 extra per night). The rate paid of $75 would be $95 with these commonly expected appliances, so be aware and ask for them if desired.

Despite the Caltrans jackhammers jackhammering away - which is audible from anywhere on the property on the date visited - once inside the room, it's quiet. You can't hear the jackhammers. That's good news for travelers considering this hotel. A pool and Jacuzzi round out the amenities offered in the outdoor patio area, but I didn't have time to use any of them.

If you're looking for restaurants, there's several all through Norwalk and adjacent, but not any within walking distance. If you know the area, not a problem, but if you are new to Southern California, this might be a concern if this is important to you. Again, several restaurants are a mile or two miles away give or take in a number of directions, so you aren't without restaurants, just not within walking distance of them.

Room Tip: Pick a room away from the freeway to ensure less freeway noise from travel and construction sources.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 23 December 2013

When I walked into the room the smell hit me, it smelled like it was not properly clean and someone had been smoking in the no smoking room. The carpet was stained and looked very old, there were burn marks in the bedding, the shower head was detached from the wall and the bathroom had little bugs...disgusting!!!! I had to go and buy cleaning supplies and fabreez so that I can stay there. I will NEVER stay at guest house hotel again!!!!!!!

• Stayed: December 2013
1  Thank Danaya1
Reviewed 5 September 2013

The motel was challenging to get to with construction going on around it. The front desk clerk was nice, but I was put off by seeing an undercover cop driving around the parking lot. There was only one big bath towel, hand towel, and wash cloth which was fine as I was alone, but this would have been an inconvenience had it been more than one traveler. There are not any places to eat nearby after 9 pm and I felt unsafe trying to find a place to eat by car and using Yelp. The walls were thin and I had to endure the sounds of my next door neighbors having sex for close to an hour. In hindsight, I would not have stayed there.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Hootie9337
Guesthousenorwalk, Manager at GuestHouse Inn & Suites Norwalk, responded to this reviewResponded 10 September 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write your comment's regarding your stay with us. We have made numerous renovations to the property and we review ALL our comments to see if we are on the right track or how we can improve upon our service and product. We have shared your comments with the staff and ownership to see if these concerns are isuues in which we can resolve.

We thank you again for your time and we are sorry that we did not meet your expectations.

Management

Reviewed 22 July 2013

Worst Customer service ever.
We reached at this hotel at 2 AM in the morning and guess what their key making machine is broken. Now we are standing there for 30 mins and she does not know what to do.
Then she calls the security and he opens the door for us. This guy tries to show he is very tough instead of being nice to people who came at 2 AM.

Now the door does not open because lock is broken. After struggling for 5 mins he opens the door. Next day we asked the lady to fix the lock. We called 2 times during the day and lady told us it is fixed. But after long day at disney land when we reached at room the door is still not fixed and we had to wait for 30 mins for security guy to come to open the door.

Next day when we complained to the lady while checking out she said we cannot do anything. Instead of giving any kind compensation for the trouble she said you can write a review on yelp or call our manager.

Will never recommend this place.
Worst customer service ever.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Norwalk
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Los Angeles - Norwalk
Best Western Norwalk Inn
Good Nite Inn Buena Park
Good Nite Inn Buena Park
#1 of 19 in Buena Park
Quality Inn Near Downey Studios
Sheraton Cerritos Hotel at Towne Center
La Quinta Inn & Suites Buena Park

Been to GuestHouse Inn & Suites Norwalk? Share your experiences!