“Rude staff and run down”

Ranked #5 of 6 Hotels in Novato
“Rude staff and run down”
Reviewed 30 June 2014 via mobile

Upon checking in I was treated rudely by an older man at 3am. The customer service was absent. When he asked for my ID and credit card he didn't say he was going to run the card or for any amount. I had to transfer funds first as I always carry cash. He asked rudely, "How long do I have to wait for that!" I said it's already done and it took him longer to run the card than the transfer as USAA apps are fast. I told him I called twice, the day I booked online requesting a double queen, and the morning we departed San Diego for the trip to verify my room and to let hem know we would be checking in around 3am. No issues, until I get in my room and it's a king bed only. I call the front desk he answers that he had my debit card, (because he didn't return it). I grab all my bags and head back to the office only to be shouted at because I booked the wrong room he said. He said that I can't have the double room but one night of the two nights I reserved and that I had to speak to the manager in the morning. I said I surely will because he was being extremely rude. The next morning a taller thin man was there, not the manager. Manager wasn't in apparently. This guy was more rude than the first and my friend couldn't believe his lack of effort towards customer service. I explained the situation and he also blamed me and didn't seem to care that I wasn't happy with their treatment. Booked room for June 27,28 checked out 29.
I left a note for the maid to leave some extra towles as there were only 3! No extra towels and the letter was tossed aside. Rude!
The room is old the curtains bobby pinned together, the walls were eaten away and splintered the patio furniture was old and there were only 2 pillows on each bed. The "renovations" were none existent as it looked old and dingy. The carpet looked clean however. If you don't mind rudeness and an older room this is fine but the employees here are jerks and the rooms are not nice enough to put up with that crap! I paid 301 for two nights! Rather be at a Hilton for that!

• Stayed June 2014
3 Thank Tracey W
ManagerDM, Manager at Marinwood Inn & Suites, responded to this review, 3 July 2014
Dear Tracey W,

Thank you for choosing Marinwood Inn & Suites. We sincerely apologize that the online booking system didn't communicate your changes with us. We hoped that by giving you the double queen room at the king price was enough to make up for this glitch. We are still in the middle of renovating the property, so we are sorry you didn't think your room was up to par. We are working hard fixing up the property and creating a positive experience for all of our guests.

Regards,
Marinwood Inn & Suites

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Reviewed 22 June 2014

I had booked my room at least 6 months ago. Last month I received an email letting me know the property had bed sold. I called the hotel and told the new owner about the email I received and wanted to be sure i still had a reservation. I was assured I did. Drove 4 hours to get to the hotel to check in. The very rude man at the desk told me there were no reservations undery name. I showed him my confirmation # and explained my prior phone call. All I heard was "oh well". It was NASCAR weekend so every hotel within several miles were full. I would not trust this hotel. Shady, rude and smelly too

• Stayed June 2014
2 Thank Mercy nurse
Dear Mercy nurse,

We are very sorry about the inconvenience the technical glitch caused you. We are in the middle of renovating the property and changing the booking systems and are sorry your reservation was lost on one of the busiest weekends of the year. We have been working on fixing this error and are now back on track.

Regards,

nyc
Reviewed 14 June 2014

The room was spacious and while it's right next to highway, I was in the back, so I didn't hear any noise. The room was fairly clean. The balcony rocked. The staff was extremely helpful and gracious. Basic continental breakfast. Overall a nice experience

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the back with a balcony
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
ManagerDM, Manager at Marinwood Inn & Suites, responded to this review, 19 June 2014
Dear jgewirtz,

Thank you for taking the time to review Marinwood Inn & Suites. We are happy to hear you enjoyed your stay, our staff, and the balcony. We hope to welcome you again soon!

Warmest Regards,

Pacific Grove, California
Reviewed 23 April 2014

This newly renovated property is a wonderful place to stay if your're going to Infineon Raceway. Excellent rooms that are spacious (high peaked ceiling), quiet and easy access to and from Hwy 101. The price was excellent and the room equipped with stove, micro, frig, wide screen tv and wifi. Nicely maintained property. If there was 1 negative aspect to mention it would be the breakfast. 3 tables and very small & limited choice of items. Hopefully, this will expand as they continue operations.

Room Tip: The rooms in the back 130-150 were quiet and far from highway.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Shift H
ManagerDM, Manager at Marinwood Inn & Suites, responded to this review, 28 April 2014
Dear Shift H,

Thank you for taking the time to review the Marinwood Inn & Suites. We appreciate your comments and are happy enjoyed your stay with us. We hope to welcome you again very soon.

Warmest Regards,

Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 1 March 2014

I stayed here with my girlfriend on Feb 21st, 2014 and want to tell others that we had a very good experience here. We recommend it, for the clean "green" room with no offensive odors, the very nice staff and the overall good quality. If they added hard-boiled eggs and yogurt to their bread centric breakfast, it would be a "10!" Check out Arun Thai, (right down the street in Novato), if you like excellent Thai food. Best I've ever had!!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Steve C
ManagerDM, Manager at Marinwood Inn & Suites, responded to this review, 7 March 2014
Dear 1Rambler,

Thank you for choosing the Novato Econo Lodge. We take great pride in our cleanliness and are glad you noticed. We will look into hard-boiled eggs and yogurt. Thank you for the 5-star review. We hope to welcome you back in the future.

Best Regards,
Morro Bay, California
Reviewed 21 January 2014

When I stay at an Econo Lodge, I expect a clean, utilitarian, small room. Not here!! Here, the rooms are huge, with kitchenette, and well furnished. The motel looks like it has been built in stages over the years, rambling up a hillside, with multiple passages connecting the several parts. It is on a frontage road, next to Highway 101, but freeway noise was not a probable where we were, in the upper most section. Our room, #448, even had a balcony with distant views of San Francisco Bay. Breakfast is the only Econo Lodge thing about this Econo Lodge--spartan and no tables or chairs. But the price is certainly right!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank 2bears93442
ManagerDM, Manager at Marinwood Inn & Suites, responded to this review, 24 January 2014
Dear 2bears93442,

Thank you for choosing Novato Econo Lodge. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed the views from the room's balcony. We take pride in the renovations we have made throughout the years and are glad you noticed. Thank you for your positive review, we hope to see you again in the near future.

Warm Regards,
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 6 January 2014

The hotel is located in a nice and quite neighborhood. And there are great hiking trails just nearby for those people who like to be in the nature and exercise, and I did that everyday. I stayed with my small pet, very well behaved PUG in one of their King size bed suites for 15 days in my first trip to over there, and everyone including their manager "call himself Bob" was aware of my dog being in the room with me. Few days after I checked out of the place, I again, decided to go back there and to book myself the same room as I had before. I booked the same room and traveled over there. But when I just arrived to check in, suddenly the guy who calls himself as a "Manager" shows up and I'm greeting friendly, "Hi Bob, I'm back again! Good to see you!" In return, he didn't allow me getting to my room by saying, the place is not pet friendly! In the whole time of that 15 days that I spent in same room before with my pet, It was a pet friendly place but just now ONLY after few days coming back again, it became no pets allowed! What got me upset was that he clearly knew me there during my previous stay and was fully aware of my Pug. And just for the record, all that 15 days of my pre-stay wasn't booked all initially in one reservation, I kept extending my stay each time after the checking out day was near and he knew the whole time that I had a dog! I asked him to explain the difference between now and before, and he was just simply smiling while another guy also standing by the corner, it seemed he also worked there too, was laughing but in a supportive way for that manager.. He simply said reason, because he felt Ok at that time but not Ok at this time!! I don't know if he was expecting something from me or maybe not, it could also be just his personality! No further comments.. Overall, base on my experience at the time I spent there before and base on what I just saw,I would never recommend that place to anyone specially those who really care to receive a good customer service. Funny that I caught him smocking cigarettes in a new corner every time when I walked driven by.. I doubt if that ever happens in any where else, not even in 1 star hostels to find "The Manager" keep smocking one after another anywhere anytime.. No class at all. And, I don't know if the owner of that hotel ever could realize or he ever liked to know, that how this guy is just killing the business and no wonder that how come I didn't see not more than only few guest cars parked in their parking lot! And that was in one of the hottest seasons of the year, few days before and after NYE when I could see every other hotels around was almost full of guests .. My recommendation is to avoid wasting your money in that place.There are many other better places in the area where they really care and appreciate continuing doing business with guests.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Shawn36264
ManagerDM, Manager at Marinwood Inn & Suites, responded to this review, 13 January 2014
Dear Shawn36264,

Thank you for choosing Novato Econo Lodge. We are sorry about the unfortunate experiences you experienced at Novato Econo Lodge. We appreciate your feedback and if you have any suggestions feel free to call. We hope to welcome you back again someday.

Best Regards,
Also consider these accommodations in or near Novato
Inn Marin
Inn Marin
#3 of 6 in Novato
Best Western Plus Novato Oaks Inn
Days Inn Novato/San Francisco
Four Points by Sheraton San Rafael
Courtyard Novato Marin/Sonoma
Embassy Suites by Hilton Hotel San Rafael - Marin County / Conference Center

Been to Marinwood Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!