“Quiet and clean room”

Days Inn Novato/San Francisco
Ranked #4 of 6 Hotels in Novato
Reviewed 1 October 2012

Beautiful views of Novato hills and a very quiet room that looked out onto a well maintained courtyard and pool. While this was a 25 minute drive to SF, I am familiar with the area and will stay here again.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Ramada

Reviewed 5 September 2012 via mobile

Easy access off and on the freeway. Good continental breakfast, nice outdoor pool and hot tub. Its not a 4 or 5 star hotel, but if you need an easy good place to stay for a night id recommend here! This was probably my 4th stay at this hotel passing through ....

• Stayed: August 2012
1  Thank liltxgrl4e
Reviewed 23 August 2012

We were there visiting family in Novato. The motel was in a convenient location and the price was reasonable. The motel is located very close to CA 101, so you get the noise from traffic. The pool area looked good but the pool looked uninviting. The rooms were moderately clean. The grounds needs some sprucing up. All in all, adequate place for the price.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 August 2012

My husband and I recently stayed at the Days Inn in Novato, CA for two nights. Our trip was for business and a bit last minute, so we didn't have much time to find a place. We are budget travellers by nature, but we're also used to shopping around (via Hotwire, Travelocity, etc.) for great deals on nice hotels. This experience does not fall under that category - the Marin County area is NOT a great place for affordable hotels, and even a 2 star hotel like this one will run you $100/night or over. That being said, this place was not worth our money and I'd urge you to consider paying a little more for something much nicer - I wish we had.

First, the pros of this place: it has breakfast and plenty of free parking. That's about it. The breakfast is not much to speak of, just continental and waffles, but at least it's something. We ended up getting a "jacuzzi suite" (a very relative term to describe our room) because we had a Travelocity gift card that cut the cost to around the same as a standard room. In a place of this caliber, I was concerned about bedbugs (although they really can be anywhere, even in the fancy hotels), but I checked the mattress thoroughly and saw none - the mattress itself looked fairly new, and was surprisingly comfortable.

The cons: Outdated and worn furnishings/decor, small TVs accompanied by a VCR (seriously??), mediocre service, dirty pool...the list goes on.

A specific incident that really bothered me was the maid service on our second day. We left the hotel mid-morning to explore the area a bit and didn't return back to the hotel until around 2:30pm. We expected our room to be clean or at least in the process, as check-in time is 3pm and we were a stayover (ie: an easy clean). I've worked in the hotel industry before, and I know all the maids need to do for stayovers is clean the bathroom, make the bed, maybe vacuum a bit, and provide clean towels. However, when we entered our room, it was still dirty - and all of our used towels were missing. We figured we'd go out to the pool for an hour or so and give the maids a chance to clean the room, but of course...we had no towels. I called the front desk and the manager assured me he'd send some right over. A half-hour later, still no towels. My husband went up front and was given two for us to use at the pool, so we did, hoping the maids would stop by while we were outside.

(Here I'll insert a quick aside to say that the pool is freezing, not well-maintained, and cloudy. I got in, but I definitely didn't want to put my head underwater. The pool chairs are all plastic and most are broken/cracked.)

We went back into our room around 4pm, and still had received no maid service or towels. No one came to our door until 5:30pm. 5:30?? That's when most people are getting ready to go out to dinner - not a great time to clean the room. I told the housekeeper just to give me clean towels and we'd skip the cleaning. Still, a disappointment as this is a service we paid for, no matter how low-quality the property is.

If you're visiting the city, I'd recommend staying either in the South San Francisco area (near SFO) or out by the Oakland airport - the hotels will be both cheaper and nicer, and you'll have a better time finding a good deal. If you're like us and need to be somewhere in Marin County, pay more for somewhere like the Courtyard Marriott, or even check out some of the locally owned places like Inn Marin - I so wish we had.

Room Tip: Our room was at the back of the property and it was very quiet - if you have a room towards the high...
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 13 August 2012

We were looking for an affordable and available base for a last minute weekend get away to San Francisco. Everything in the city itself was either booked full or the price was outta sight. A friend suggested this place. It served as a good home base for exploring San Francisco and the coast. Just 30 minutes to the Golden Gate Bridge, it was a good value level hotel. Rooms clean and adequate with frig and microwave, breakfast decent and actually a quite nice pool and jacuzzi...not that we had time to use them.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 August 2012

When we arrived we were given a smelly rough room which I refused. After some negotiation we were offered a non smoking room which was much cleaner and better. This was OK for a quick overnighter. Drove a couple of miles to the nearby down and had a great meal at a new Italian restaurant. This hotel was not worth the cost unless there was no other option.

Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 July 2012

Close to highway from/to San Francisco, perfect to me I was driving North on 101. We arrived at 9 PM, lady at reception can't suggest any place for dinner out of McDonald's. Rooms are not very spacious and smell inside is bad. Bed is not comfortable and bathroom small, quite clean indeed.
Breakfast poor for location, quality and quantity. Due to the position, price is quite high for the service given.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Novato
Best Western Plus Novato Oaks Inn
Inn Marin
Inn Marin
#3 of 6 in Novato
Courtyard Novato Marin/Sonoma
Best Western Petaluma Inn
Embassy Suites by Hilton Hotel San Rafael - Marin County / Conference Center
Four Points by Sheraton San Rafael

Been to Days Inn Novato/San Francisco? Share your experiences!