“Basic, basic, basic...”

Americas Best Value Inn of Novato
Ranked #6 of 6 Hotels in Novato
Reviewed 25 July 2008

Only stay here if you need a quick place to lay your head for the night, a very basic breakfast, and a quick morning swim. It's fine for a quick stopover but not for any kind of extended stay!

- The hotel is right next to a lumberyard and we ended up with a nail in our tire so beware

- The manager was helpful and friendly

- All of the rooms are on outside hallways so I wouldn't recommend it for single female travelers

- The pool is clean but small and surrounded by cinder-block walls

- A train occasionally goes by but it didn't bother me

- Old, outdated furnishings and linens but it all seemed clean and well maintained

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled with family

Reviewed 19 December 2007

When Hemingway wrote about a "clean, well-lighted place" , he did not have this joint in mind. This place has all the ambiance of a rough truck stop; although it is 100 yards from the 101 freeway, it is still in the middle of nowhere; the location is poorly lit, next to RR tracks and across from a firewood chopping facility and a commercial mulch pile; all rooms have outside entrances; my room was dimly lit and the TV did not have all major channels working; while there were no visible stains and the bathroom was clean, the place is a tad worn; the breakfast bar was passable, but the people behind the desk both at night when I checked in and in the morning, were rather creepy. Also, the bathroom has no independent heat source and relies on heat from the room itself when you leave the door open. The problem with that is the light coming in through the bathroom window--so you either try to sleep in the light or freeze your boopie off the next morning when you shower. Price is what drove me there, but there is very little value with this kind of atmosphere. For literally $10 more there is a very nice Quality Inn in Santa Rosa, just up the road, where I stayed the following night and to which I would return without hesitation. But not this place.

• Stayed: December 2007, travelled solo
2  Thank afyl1
Reviewed 26 August 2007

Nice place to stay for those on a medium budget.
2 floors well appointed rooms and not bad beds.

Great place for race track guests to stay. We stayed here and commuted to Infinion Raceway (Sears Point) and taking sparely traveled back roads to the track we were their in about 15 minutes.

Hotel is in the middle of nowhere but doing some exploring we found a shopping mall, grocery store and some eating establishments all withing about 1/4 to 2 miles away.

One bad thing is that parking is at a premium and if there is a full house you can expect to park a long ways away from the entrance.

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled as a couple
1  Thank GreatNorthTraveler
Reviewed 29 June 2007

this is not a bad property to stay at for $62 on a race weekend, but the manager should be in jail. we stayed there 5 years in a row for NASCAR race weekend in sonoma.every year we booked online 11 months in advance. in 2005, i found out a week prior to our arrival that my reservations had mysteriously been canceled. travelodge corporate was able to get us back in at the same rate we booked. this year,a month in advance i found out AGAIN my reservations (for 4 rooms,no less) had been canceled. but this time the MANAGER of the property actually fessed up to it. the said i had booked the room at in "improper" rate ($62/night) & sent me a copy of the letter he SUPPOSEDLY sent to me 11 months ago telling me to contact them to "re-reserve" at the "proper" rate--over $200. travelodge corporate this time said they could do nothing about it!! i found out that the property did the exact same thing to several other people--& got away with it. the manager's family cooking always did permeate the property--some sort of middle east goop. not pleasant. please don't give them your business. i'll NEVER stay at another travelodge,period.

• Stayed: June 2005, travelled on business
3  Thank dcpphoto
Reviewed 22 May 2007

Inexpensive "base camp" for visiting the Wine Country.
Nothing special about the place but we spent little time in the room..just to sleep and then we were out and about all day. The place could use some updating and a good cleaning...but it was okay. Convenient location right off 101. Easy to get up to Sonoma and Napa and get on with the wine tastings! Also only a 20 minute drive to Petaluma where our son is stationed with the USCG so it's good for parents who will go for visit or graduation.

• Stayed: May 2007, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 January 2007

I stayed here at this hotel for two to three days every month from August to December, whenever I came up to the area to visit my father during the last months of his life. Although he lived in Petaluma, I preferred to stay here (11 miles away) because I liked the beautiful town of Novato and this hotel was always a very quiet, peaceful, welcoming haven. Yes, it's quite conveniently located off of the 101 freeway, but it is at a level somewhat down below the highway and a bit isolated from it (so that you might not even see the hotel from the freeway), which gives you all the advantages of a freeway location without the disadvantage of noise. It's a national chain, so of couse much about it is typical, but I see nothing to complain about in that regard. Reservations on the Travelodge website are a snap. The price is reasonable, the rooms are large and comfortable with larger-than-average televisions and each room on the upper floors has a balcony where I could sit and read outside in the fragrant Marin County air (different from Los Angeles where I live!). They have a pool and a hot tub and, although I never used either, there were always people using the hot tub even in the chilly wintry evenings, so I liked the idea that the management didn't close it for the season just because it was no longer summer. They also have a small exercise room with (I believe) a treadmill and an elliptical machine, although if this is important to you, you may want to verify. One thing that I liked a lot, which, believe it or not I had never used before, is that they have a WiFi, so free high-speed Internet on my laptop in my hotel room was, to me, pretty cool and now I don't want to stay anywhere that doesn't have one! The hotel has a continental breakfast, but I never checked it out, as there are so many cute restaurants quite nearby in "downtown" Novato, another reason why I liked staying here. All in all, this was a fine place for my purpose that offered some amenities that I appreciated and based on that, I would happily recommend this hotel..

• Stayed: December 2006, travelled solo
1  Thank thomasdosborneii
Reviewed 19 July 2006

Decent-looking motel on the side of the freeway, nothing special. Room decor was average but really could use some updating. Overall the room seemed somewhat clean--not exceptionally clean as there were some patches of dust here and there and stains on the carpet.

The most disgusting thing was as we were sitting on the bed watching TV, out of the corner of my eye I swear I saw something run behind the dresser. I got up to go look behind it and there was a grey mouse, sitting amongst a TON of old rodent droppings behind the dresser. I almost vomited. By this time it was after 11pm and we were not sure where to else to go at that late hour, but for sure I was not staying in that room! We immediately packed our bags and went down to the reception. The night clerk on duty did not seem to be alarmed at all and his underwhelmed appearance could not have been more opposite from ours. He offered to move us to another room, which initially I refused...but then thought what are our other options at this late hour? We ended up relocating to a larger, somewhat cleaner-looking suite and of course the first thing I did was go and look behind every dresser, table and the bed! I did not see any readily apparent signs of rodents so I reluctantly agreed to stay there though hardly slept at all!

As there was no manager on duty in the morning when we checked out, I followed up with a letter to the manager describing our experience and asking for a refund. Several weeks later I received a response offering no refund, but instead a discount of 50% off a future one-night stay. Hello? Why would we EVER set foot in that foul mouse dropping hotel again??!

I suspect we were not the first nor the last to experience rodents in this hotel based upon the response of the night-clerk and later the manager. And I also beleive that's why they offered this pathetic coupon to placate us...technically it "fulfilled" their obligation to rectify the situation, while full well knowing we'd never use it and they'd never see us again.

Consider yourself warned....STAY AWAY!

• Stayed: September 2002
5  Thank SFnativeGal
Also consider these accommodations in or near Novato
Best Western Plus Novato Oaks Inn
#3 of 6 in Novato
8 mi away
Embassy Suites by Hilton Hotel San Rafael - Marin County / Conference Center
Extended Stay America - San Rafael - Francisco Blvd East

Been to Americas Best Value Inn of Novato? Share your experiences!