“BASIC! MINIMAL TO NO SERVICE!”

Americas Best Value Inn of Novato
Ranked #6 of 6 Hotels in Novato
Reviewed 17 December 2010

Visited some friends in Novato. Stayed for 4 days. Out most of the time.

Just a sleeping place for us. Breakfast was toast, cereals, juice and coffee. Has limited tables and chairs.

As expected, very basic.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled with friends

Reviewed 1 June 2010

Our nonsmoking room smelled like stale cigarette smoke. The amenities listed were not available and the staff seemed unconcerned and unwilling to try to make it right. We won't be staying there again.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank MrsMister
Reviewed 10 April 2010

First impressions make/break places like this one. The girl at the desk glared at me when I walked in, tossed a paper on the desk, & walked away, so I stood there. When she came back, she looked at the paper & said "fill it out". She then proceeded to get on her cell phone & speak in a foreign language while staring my way. She did not say anything about check out, breakfast, nothing! Room was OK for the $$; walls a bit thin; hallways a bit scary. Go down the road 10 miles & stay somewhere else.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 4 April 2010

The room was clean. It is an okay hotel for the price ($59). We just stayed one night.

Stayed: March 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 31 December 2009

My husband and I had to come to Novato on work, from India. Travelodge seemed a logical choice due to its proximity to the office and the price. But the moment we got out of the cab and stepped into the 'lobby', we regretted our decision to stay here.
First, we had a lady called 'Dana' at the front desk who charged our card for the entire stay in one go! We had no option but to stay out the entire week. Then she wouldn't tell us where the trolley was. We had a tough time getting our luggage to our rooms.
The rooms are of a decent size but they are not very clean. The sheets on the bed were ok but the duvet did seem suspect. I got rashes just by sitting on it.
Breakfast is minimal and nothing hot is offered in it (like eggs) and they run out of most things by 8.30 am (even milk for cereal!). After that it's only leftovers. There is a microwave in the lobby, but if you are unlucky like us, it could get spoilt while you're heating up your dinner and the staff wouldn't care!
There are no options for dinner/lunch in the lodge and you'll end up starving, if you happen to get back late and the microwave isn't working.
The thing that I hated most about this place was the callous attitude of the staff. When the microwave got spoilt while we were heating our dinner, 'Dana' seemed more interested to get back to the TV programme she was watching, rather than help us sort out the problem.
And yes, while the hotel is close to our office, it is beside a lumberyard. Our room was at the far end of it, but with the no enclosed passage to the rooms, I did feel a little vulnerable. The non-smoking rooms were available only on the ground floor.
The entire experience was so bad, I will never return to this place and would definitely not recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled on business
3  Thank Jyotsna12
Reviewed 21 November 2008

actually, for the money, we thought this was one of the best values in marin: fancy property planning means the balconies open on a lovely park-like setting. if you can ignore the loud traffic from the busy street right behind it, you can enjoy a seemingly private and peaceful location. Lots of great extras are available, but are not all the same in all the rooms, so you should ask if you care: coffee, microwave/small fridge, safe, ironing board. Really nice place given the price and way above similarly priced rooms in marin. my only SERIOUS complaint was the horrible wallpaper. I don't know whose blind nephew got put in charge of the room's walls, but a nice unobtrusive BEIGE would be light years of improvement on the current grey sponge paint with yellow shapes floating around it. Try not to look directly at it, is all I'm saying; acid flashbacks are a real danger, even if you've never done acid.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank rootsDaughter
Reviewed 12 August 2008

This was by far the worst MOTEL experience I have ever had. I live in the East Bay, but had to come to Novato for a week of work and did not want to commute. DO NOT BE FOOLED BY THE PICS ON THE WEBSITE! This place is a dump! As soon as I pulled in the parking lot I was greeted with the sight of a man in his underwear standing outside of the guest laundry room with a woman who looked to be wearing his clothes. Both were obviously under the influence of something. Once inside what could loosely be call the lobby, was a homeless man who had a shopping cart full of belongings taking up the area near the desk. He and the crackheads struck up a conversation about how fat the woman wearing the naked man's clothes was, and she joked that she was pregnant with twins. The people behind the desk didn't seem to mind the commotion when it escalated into namecalling between the two. So once out of the nappy office they call a lobby I walked to the elevator and went to my room, which smelled like stale beer and cigarettes, was dimly lit, and dirty. I left to get dinner and came back an hour later to find the crackhead in his undies still lurking the OUTDOOR hallways. At this point I decided I will commute from East Bay rather than endure the stench and overall trashiness of this DUMP and I checked right out. They insisted on charging me for a nigh's stay as well

Do not ever stay at this motel!

• Stayed: August 2008
4  Thank Jay1967
Also consider these accommodations in or near Novato
Best Western Plus Novato Oaks Inn
#3 of 6 in Novato
8 mi away
Embassy Suites by Hilton Hotel San Rafael - Marin County / Conference Center
Extended Stay America - San Rafael - Francisco Blvd East

Been to Americas Best Value Inn of Novato? Share your experiences!