“More than a home away from home”
Review of Inn Marin

Inn Marin
Ranked #4 of 6 Hotels in Novato
GreenLeadersSilver level
“More than a home away from home”
Reviewed 27 September 2012

In my 33 years of commercial construction I have stayed in a lot of hotels and motels.In my opinion the Inn Marin was definitely the most desirable. My home is in Sacramento but the construction job was in Novato. Working four 10 hour days for a year made it impossible to do a daily commute. As Superintendent there were plenty of stressful days and the thought of relaxing after work helped get me through the day. The staff was so helpful, eager to accomodate my every need. And even though it faces the freeway, the natural wooded setting embracing the entire property quiets the world down and makes you forget where you are. You will love the shaded area between the office and restaurant and the rooms for outside reading and relaxing. I also appreciated all the little things they do to help in saving the environment. If I ever have work anywhere in the North Bay again I will definitely spend my evenings at the Inn Marin.

• Stayed July 2012
2 Thank poppyjoel

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (103)
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 25 September 2012

We were there this summer for a wedding nearby. It's a great place for groups as there is a fair amount of common space to hang out (pool/courtyard/breakfast area). The immediate neighborhood isn't the most beautiful, but you can't really see it from the hotel. There are some good shops and restaurants not too far away for quick outings or errands. The continental breakfast is pretty good and there's a big enough spread (cereal, bagels, waffles, fruit, yogurt) that you can have some variety if you are there for a few days. Dinner at their restaurant (you can eat out by the pool) is surprisingly good. The only problem we had was when they decided to power wash the building we were in when our baby was trying to nap (not sure why they would do this on a sold-out weekend, but at least it wasn't early morning). When I called the front desk to inquire, they had them stop immediately. In general, the staff was very responsive.

A few cons:
- no bath tubs in rooms (only in the suites)
- pool isn't open in the morning
- right by the highway...although this also makes it very convenient

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank copacabanagirl
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 17 September 2012

I had booked this hotel to use the pool and grounds specifically. Since there was a wedding that day, we could use none of those things. I was very upset as I wasn't informed of this before arrival. (Turns out I didn't get an email explaining all this because I booked through hotels.com and they didn't have my email) The manager was very apologetic and went out of his way to make sure I was happy in the end.
Besides that, the room was clean and neat. The beds were comfy and the room was quiet (even with the wedding going on). The pool, when we did get to use it, was clean and lovely.
Make sure to ask for a room off the highway, though. It was noisy over there.

Room Tip: Rooms off the highway are quieter. If you want to use the pool, make sure it's not booked befo...
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank HopScotch03
Folsom, California
Reviewed 30 August 2012

Although a older "motor" inn, this has been transformed into a oasis of relaxation and beauty. A gorgeous grassy courtyard welcomes you, with wisteria and large maple trees. One of the largest has 4 hanging chairs to swing, read and knap by. There is a lovely fountain nearby trickling melodically. The rooms are very spacious and boast fine linens, comfortable pillows, bamboo floors, desk with paper clips and note pads, free internet and free breakfast. The room also has a fridge, microwave and coffee maker. All this nestled in the heart of the wine country. The hotel has a class A restaurant on the premises called "Rickey's" The menu is small and precise, the food fabulous and the presentation eye catching. They have a wonderful wine list and a full bar. They host live bands on holidays and a couple of nights a week. Book early, the place fills up fast. Parking is free and out your back door. Your front door opens onto the courtyard. You won't be disappointed.

Room Tip: Be sure to ask for a room on the courtyard. There are other rooms in the back and while pleasant, t...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled on business
3 Thank TheHuntress52
Richmond
Reviewed 3 August 2012

We stayed here at the last minute after being turned down by 10 hotels around the area that were full. (We should have reserved in advance!) This place had everything we needed and more. A nice big room with a king bed and separate area for my son. Pet friendly (so hard to find!) with only a $20 fee which was reasonable for sure. The room was very clean, nice wood floors and beautiful grounds as well. My son loved the tree swings! Breakfast in the morning was a major bonus. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
Doylestown, PA
Reviewed 24 July 2012

Stayed at the Inn Marin for a wedding. We had some events at the Inn while the wedding was at a separate location. Our flight was very late and we didn't manage to check-in until 5am. We were warmly greeted and treated well.

Rooms are dark - think old motel. We were fortunate to be off the courtyard area where the parties were taking place. Because of the setting - motel style - we couldn't leave our blinds open which resulted in the room always being dark. Lighting in the room was too low. We reserved a King room, but they only would give us a double upon registration. Breakfast was sparse - needs to be enhanced.

Amenities were ok. The Inn describes themselves as "green". To a degree they are, but I wouldn't say that they go to any extra effort.

The Inn faces the freeway, but once you are behind the main area, the courtyard and pool is quiet. Since our room was way in the back of the property we didn't have any issues with road noise.

Major drawback to the Inn is that they have no food service throughout the day. Once you are past their meager breakfast, the restaurant and bar isn't open until evening. Drinks are expensive unless you stick to their happy hour list. Note that happy hour is only from 4-6 which we never made due to our sightseeing and other family events schedule.

Overall - clean and suited our purposes of not having to drive for the family functions. Good location - 3 minutes to Muir in one direction and 30 minutes to Napa in the other. There are plenty of other excellent choices and I wouldn't make this my choice again.

Room Tip: Don't stay in a courtyard room as the Inn hosts many events using the garden and pool area. The...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Reviewed 19 July 2012

What got my attention was, "Shelter From The Norm" their tag line as I hate cookie cutter experiences. Also dog friendly is a must for us. I was so pleasantly surprised by the whole place. In an area clogged with people, the Inn is a refuge from all that with beautiful interior gardens, charming rooms and a great restaurant. We stayed four nights on business. Our only problem was a wedding party who partied right outside our room--some genius thought we were part of the wedding, and put us there. A complaint got us that night comped. A popular place for weddings, watch out for the noise factor if you have to get up at 5:00 am as we did.

Room Tip: Rooms away from the lovely pool area are quieter.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank TwinFlames
Also consider these accommodations in or near Novato
Best Western Plus Novato Oaks Inn
Courtyard Novato Marin/Sonoma
Marin Suites Hotel
Marin Suites Hotel
#2 of 3 in Corte Madera
Days Inn Novato/San Francisco
Four Points by Sheraton San Rafael
Embassy Suites by Hilton Hotel San Rafael - Marin County / Conference Center

Been to Inn Marin? Share your experiences!