“Not the best Marriott that I have stayed at”

Courtyard Novato Marin/Sonoma
Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Novato
Reviewed 13 August 2014

My wife and I were on a three week road trip starting in Southern California up to Portland Oregon, and then down the coast back home over a three week time frame. Mainly we stayed at another chain hotel for the entire trip, but it was not available in Novato, so we chose the Courtyard.
I get a sizable corporate discount an most hotels, which is appreciated, but I do not appreciate it when the hotel gives me the smallest room that they have in the house. I have stayed many times at other courtyards around the world, and this room was by and far the smallest room. Couple that with the fact that this hotel was more than double the cost of the other hotels that we had stayed in and gave us no additional amenities beyond what we had for half the price seems very strange to me. I know that it's always based upon location of the property and being close to San Francisco (40 minute drive) might make it a bit more expensive, but at least I expect to have a decent sized room.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Raffi4TA
Tim H, General Manager at Courtyard Novato Marin/Sonoma, responded to this reviewResponded 15 August 2014

Hello and thank you for your feedback. We regret that you were not pleased with the value of your stay. We are sorry that our standard room size and variety of amenities did not meet your individual needs. Understand that Marriott appreciates and values our corporate travelers. Thank you again for your review and we hope that you consider us again in your future travels.

There are newer reviews for Courtyard Novato Marin/Sonoma

Reviewed 4 August 2014

This is not the fanciest hotel, sleeping rooms are just OK, lobby is kind of nice, looks recently renovated and is modern and bright. Amenities are minimal. What really made our stay though was the staff...consistently friendly on every level. It is also nicely situated, with a Safeway just behind it.

Room Tip: you can hear people walking above you, so if you are a light sleeper, ask for the top floor
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
Tim H, General Manager at Courtyard Novato Marin/Sonoma, responded to this reviewResponded 14 August 2014

Hello and thank you for your review. We are pleased to hear that your experience with our staff was so positive and that your trip was simplified by our location. We hope to see you again in your future travels.

Reviewed 27 July 2014

This hotel is perfectly located to go north or northeast into Sonoma County or south into San Francisco or Berkeley areas. Being on the run all day, it was wonderful returning to this hotel. There are restaurants within walking distance as well as a grocery store. The small refrigerator was perfect for snacks and beverages we wanted cooled. The small dinner restaurant in the hotel is available, although we didn't have a chance to try it out. The staff is courteous, welcoming. The facility very clean, Wifi available. We plan to return to this hotel again with out a doubt!

Room Tip: I think all rooms are good-have A/C, Wifi.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Lr H

Hello and thank you for your feedback! We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us here in Novato, utilizing the nearby restaurants and various hotel amenities. We hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed 15 July 2014

A very pleasant experience at this Courtyard. The staff is friendly, helpful and courteous. The property is well maintained and immaculately clean. I recommend it highly and will be staying there again on my next visit to the Bay area.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Hello and thank you for your review. We sincerely appreciate your feedback and are pleased that your experience was so positive. Thank you for your loyalty and we hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 12 July 2014

Check-in was efficient. The Lobby was done up in appealing colours.
Ample parking space outside, although some patches were unlit and get quite dark.
Several dining options in the vicinity.
Our rooms were spacious and clean, as were the bathrooms.
Beds were comfortable; we had a good night's rest.
Gym was adequate. ATM machine in the lobby debited my card but didn't dispense the money- recredited my account with a slight lag.

Our tariff did not include breakfast.
Nevertheless we found the hotel to be good value for money.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Tim H, General Manager at Courtyard Novato Marin/Sonoma, responded to this reviewResponded 14 July 2014

Thank you for your review of our hotel. We are pleased that you were happy with your stay! We look forward to serving you again in the future.
Courtyard Novato & Team
Tim

Reviewed 27 June 2014

We have decided that we don’t like the Courtyard by Marriott brand. We like to have breakfast included in our room price and it is not at Courtyard by Marriott. Also we like to have a microwave and Courtyard by Marriott does not have them in the rooms. A 50¢ charge for local calls is annoying. The Internet included in the room price is too slow. To pay extra for an Internet speed that is only slightly faster is definitely not worth it. Audre thinks the Marriott towels are too thin (in all of the Marriott brands). Again in this Courtyard by Marriott, the climate control did not work the way we wanted it too. When we set it at 74°, it cycled on at got to 69°, according to the thermometer we carry. It got too hot when off and too cold when on. In the Novato Courtyard by Marriott, the area over the tub was too dark. The light in the middle of the room was dim and almost no light got to the shower/tub. The Jacuzzi in the Novato Courtyard by Marriott was inside and very unappealing. It didn’t have bubbles, only jets. The front desk staff were very friendly and the rest of the staff that helped us were too. There was a perfume smell/air freshener that permeated the lobby area. It was awful. Otherwise our stay was uneventful. We spent $189 per night and think that is too expensive by far for what we got.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
David B, Manager at Courtyard Novato Marin/Sonoma, responded to this reviewResponded 29 June 2014

Thank you for your review and for staying with us. First I would like to apologize for not meeting your expectations. I would like to let you know that most courtyards offer a rate that includes breakfast. Marriott does have several brands that include breakfast if the courtyard is not your preference. Thank you for your comments about our service staff. I hope one day you will give the courtyard by Marriott a second chance.

Reviewed 25 June 2014

The staff in the area where they serve drinks and food were excellent. Upon checking out I found my car covered in water from an errant sprinkler. So for 3 days my car was being sprayed by this sprinkler. I went to staff. They told me they had no one on duty to wipe it off. Okay then they offered me 10.00 refund on over 300.00 per night. So paid my bill. Asked them not to lock me out of room because we weren't leaving yet. Upon returning to my room to get my remaining items from the room the door was opened and some of my items were missing. Which were 2 bottles of wine and a 20.00 Starbucks cup. I went directly to the cleaning lady's and they had my 3 items in their cart. I found this disgusting.. I reported this to the front desk they were not at all concerned. I did not want the cleaning lady's to get in trouble because I felt it was the front desks fault.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Kathy R
David B, Manager at Courtyard Novato Marin/Sonoma, responded to this reviewResponded 27 June 2014

Thank you for your review and for staying with us. We would like to apologize for the inconveniences you experienced during your stay with us. It is our goal for every guest to have a pleasant experience. We take great pride in ensuring our guest’s satisfaction. Unfortunately, we did not meet your expectations. However we hope that you will give us another chance to change your mind if your travel plans bring you back to the area.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Novato
Best Western Plus Novato Oaks Inn
Inn Marin
Inn Marin
#3 of 6 in Novato
Embassy Suites by Hilton Hotel San Rafael - Marin County / Conference Center
Four Points by Sheraton San Rafael
Days Inn Novato/San Francisco
Courtyard San Francisco Larkspur Landing/Marin County

Been to Courtyard Novato Marin/Sonoma? Share your experiences!