“Great customer service”

GreenLeadersSilver level
San Jose, California, United States
“Great customer service”
Reviewed 25 August 2014

I had a very pleasant experience staying at this hotel. I read reviews to see if early check-in was possible and noticed the only reviews left about it mentioned that they weren't allowed early check-in and the hotel was super strict about it. I made me wonder if they even bothered calling a day ahead of time to ask for it 'cause I called the night before and spoke to Patricia and was accommodated just fine. Hell, she even called me during my 3 hour drive there to tell me that my room was already available and gave me and my girlfriend a warm welcome when we arrived. Checking in took little to no time as well.

As for the room, I have no complaints. It was a big room with a king bed, a pull-out sofa bed, two chairs, a couple tables/desks, a flat screen TV, an AC unit, a coffee pot, minifridge (not stocked), ironing board, and hair dryer. I expected it to look how it looked and expected it to not be super modern because there's plenty of photos posted online of the rooms. I gotta tell you something, that AC unit sure does its job. The only weird thing I found about the room was that the sink for the bathroom was outside of the bathroom. It wasn't a huge deal though.

As for the breakfast buffet, I couldn't complain either because there was plenty of food to fill me up and I didn't go to it until 9:50AM when the buffet was about to end. There was a make-your-own-waffle station, a few different types of cereal, muffins, juices, yogurt, fruit, and coffee. I'd much rather have these for a breakfast buffet than eggs or bacon that would spoil or get contaminated easily being out all morning.

As for the location, it's in a great spot before reaching the main entrance of Yosemite. There's plenty of restaurants and stores around if you don't want to go enjoy nature.

As for the noise level, I only heard a few footsteps. Other than that, there really wasn't much noise. Though, being on the 3rd floor probably has a completely different experience than being on the 1st floor.

In a nutshell: I've stayed in a lot of hotels and I really can't complain about this hotel and stay because of the friendly staff (shout out to Patricia), the decent room, and the great location. I would give it perfect 5 stars if they did another tiny update to the rooms instead of just flat screen TVs. Hell, new carpet or something would make a huge difference.

Room Tip: Try to get a room on the very top floor if you're concerned about hearing footsteps and if you w...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Diana L
Innsight_Hospitality, Owner at Yosemite Southgate Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, 26 August 2014
Diana:

High Five! Thanks for your fair and balanced review of your stay at Yosemite Southgate Hotel. We really appreciate you taking the time to leave us a review and help future guests make an educated booking decision. Patricia is thrilled to receive a shout out! She say's thanks! I recognize that there are some fixtures that need to be updated and rest assured we are working on these things. We've already redone our parking, our pool and spa, new TVs and RFID locks. New bedspreads are on their way and we'll soon be remodeling our rooms so stay tuned. We currently offer a great value and the largest rooms in the area. Our hotel is extremely clean and well, our staff rocks! Wait till we get done with our remodeling program.

We'd love to host you again and show you some of the stuff that's in store for our guests in the future. Next time, book directly at yosemitesouthgate.com and use the promo code: tripadvisor to save a few pings.

Many Thanks,

Owner

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (94)
Porto
Reviewed 23 August 2014 via mobile

+ free park for the car; swimming pool

- the room was old and had a bad smell; the breakfast was in the lobby with the guests bumping each other trying to reach the food. There were trays to take the food to a dinning room that we didn't use because we aet in the room.

We have been 19 days in the United States, stayed in a lot of hotels and this was the worst. It was different from what we expected reading the reviews.

Stayed August 2014
1 Thank Nia_PT
Dear Guest:

We are terribly sorry that you had a disappointing stay at Yosemite Southgate Hotel & Suites. We wish you would have brought your complaints to our staff's attention and we would have done what it takes to satisfy you. We maintain a very clean hotel so any stench is unusual but we will certainly look into this and remedy it and we do agree our breakfast area set up could be better. When the hotel was originally designed, they clearly did not do a great job providing the space for a breakfast area. We are actually working on remodeling this area and opening it up to make it more comfortable.

We do hope that you will give us a chance in the future to try again to satisfy you. Book direct with us at yosemitesouthgate.com and leave us a special request and we will make sure to take care of your needs.

Respectfully,

Reviewed 21 August 2014

The hotel looks nice when you arrive, however some small problems accumulated and caused us to leave the hotel with an unsatisfied feeling: Breakfast: a small buffet is offered in a small side area of the lobby, then you take your stuff to a dinning room which was so small that a big part of the guests took their food to the rooms. Bath room: the sink of the bath room is at the entrance of the room, strange and not comfortable. Elevator: only one available and very very slow, stairways located relatively far from the elevator so not always an alternative. Washing machine / Dryer: only 1 available! You guessed correctly, always busy. Wifi: worked but so bad that we couldn't use skype
Rooms are spacious, cleanliness level medium, location 14 miles from the entrance to the park, price fair. Summary: next time in Oakhurst I will try another hotel

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Henry C
Henry:

I wanted to take the time to address your grievances and apologize that you had such a poor stay at The Southgate. Our rooms are the largest in the area and are set up as mini suites where the sink and vanity is part of the room so we're sorry if you found that to be unusual, but we can definitely lay claim to having the most spacious rooms nearby Yosemite. As with the design of the hotel, we'd have to agree, we'd love to have more than one elevator and wish our breakfast area was designed to be more efficient. We're actually going to work on redesigning and remodeling this and our entire hotel so your feedback is useful.

Sorry, that you won't give us a try again. I do wish you would so you can see the changes we hope to make by next season. If you do wish to visit us again, please book direct at yosemitesouthgate.com and let us know your requests in our special requests and we will be sure to take care of your needs and pay special attention to remedy your complaints.

Dublin
Reviewed 19 August 2014 via mobile

We had very little expectations from this hotel as our travel agent had informed us that Yosemite has very limited and overpriced accommodation. Therefore, We were pleasantly surprised to have such a spacious comfortable room with a massive bed and complementary breakfast. It's in a great location for exploring the national park and little gems like bass lake and cedar grove. Oakhurst also has some decent options for casual dining. Check out some great pizzas and beers at southgate brewery and I'd definitely recommend zipyosemite which is only an 8 mile drive from the hotel.

Stayed August 2014
1 Thank Sinzolynch
Dear Guest:

I wanted to quickly thank you for leaving such a positive review and also highlighting some of the local area fare and attractions. Reviews like yours which are balanced help other guests make reliable booking decisions so thanks for adding to our rapport of reviews.

We'd love if you would come visit us again. Next time book direct at yosemitesouthgate.com and use the promo code: tripadvisor to save some pings.

Thanks,

Riverside, California
Reviewed 11 August 2014

The hotel has a old smell, and the décor is in need of an update. The towels are so old that they rip when you try to dry yourself with them. The spa is just warm not hot. The pillows are worn and uncomfortable. The only thing new in the rooms are the tolletteries and tv. For $300 a night, I would of liked more luxury then this. Staff at the desk was very nice and let us park our motocycle by the front window. You hear every footsteps in the room above yours.

Room Tip: Top floor so you wont have people stepping on you.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank anne b
Dear Guest:

I wanted to take the time to repond to your negative review. We're very sorry that you had a 'poor' experience at The Hotel. It has come to my attention that you were upset that you could not get out of your second night due to the hotel's cancellation policy and this has undoubtedly led to such a negative review. We're sorry you were so displeased and definitely have taken into account your sentiment regarding our staff and hotel and apologize that your stay could not have been more enjoyable.

New York City, New York
Reviewed 10 August 2014

Musty smell in rooms, old bed linen & unprofessional staff at front desk the are so loud and discuss other customer some who are still present in the lobby, poor breakfast! I must say the girl who came to service my room was such a sweetheart and was very nice and accommodating and did a nice job!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank jacqat
York, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 August 2014

This was the worst hotel of our whole trip around California and Nevada. And it was one of the most expensive we stayed in a $200 for one night. Ok the location close to Yosemite can account for the price to some extent, but the room was poor, tired, outdated and frankly smelled funny, mainly the air con, which we kept turned off. Breakfast was poor, and the service was a little surly. We could not wait to get going in the morning and left early. Needs a revamp. If you do not mind travelling a little further then don't stay here.

Room Tip: Ours was a ground floor room which was rubbish.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Alistair G
Also consider these accommodations in or near Oakhurst
Best Western Plus Yosemite Gateway Inn
Yosemite View Lodge
Yosemite View Lodge
#1 of 2 in El Portal
3.5 of 5 bubbles 3,720 reviews

Been to Yosemite Southgate Hotel & Suites? Share your experiences!