“A little Cajun gem”

Price range: US$10 - US$30
Cuisines: Cajun & Creole
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: You wouldn't expect to run across the bigger than life flavors of New Orleans in a little mountain town just south of Yosemite National Park, but that's exactly what you'll find at Woody's New Orleans West in Oakhurst, CA. Woody himself is in the kitchen dishing up New Orleans favorites like Jambalaya and Etouffee, all set against the backdrop of the Sierras. Along with traditional New Orleans favorites Woody serves some special creations of his own, drawing from his exposure to cuisines from all over the world. Unique dishes like the Spicy Crawfish Balls and Mardi Gras Pasta have Yosemite locals coming back for more. Woody's New Orleans West offers the best of all worlds: Southern food with a global flair, sophisticated cuisine in a mom-and-pop atmosphere where you'll really become one of the family. Take a couple minutes to look over our menu and get ready to travel into the heart of the South while in the mountains just outside of Yosemite.
Coarsegold, California
“A little Cajun gem”
Reviewed 14 July 2013

In the South Yosemite area, there is a great Cajun restaurant in the town of Oakhurst. The gumbo soup was excellent and the blacken Sea Bass was also. The flavors of the big easy was here in this mountain town. All Y'all will enjoy.

• Visited July 2013
1 Thank Coarsegold93614

Salt Lake City, Utah
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“SOOO disappointed in the service at Woody's”
Reviewed 29 June 2013

What a shame, we didn't even get to eat here. We weren't even acknowledged when we got there-had to track down the one and only overworked waitress and asked to be put on a list. Were told it would be 20 minutes although there were several open tables. Waited 45 minutes, still nothing. Went back in to remind them we were there (several times) and finally a man who seemed in charge immediately put two tables together and we sat. Still no acknowledgement from waitress for 10 minutes. Got up to leave and found them in kitchen to tell them we were disappointed. Were met with a lot of defensiveness and not one sincere apology. So bummed-we were hungry and it smelled great. Their lack of acknowledgement of me as a customer from the very first moment was a bad sign and I should have left then. Now I know! No customer service whatsoever. I guess they think their food stands on it's own. No restaurant is that good.

1 Thank Erika T
Bridgewater, Massachusetts
“love the food here”
Reviewed 23 June 2013

My boyfriend loves jambalaya so when I spotted an add for woodys I suggested we try it. We were not disappointed that we did. What flavorful food ! Now I can't claim to be an authority on authentic Cajun food, but I can tell you the food was delicious. Very complex multilevel flavors . We liked it so much we made sure to return again during our vacation

California
“Another extremely satisfied traveler who rates Woody's 4.5 out of 5 stars!”
Reviewed 22 June 2013 via mobile

Great find! Stopped because of high rated reviews, wasn't disappointed. Excellent fare, good service, nice ambiance, fair prices...and terrific music. Try the large grilled scallops or the shrimp rémoulade, we did and were thrilled...

2 Thank MarkSS1
“Genuine New Orleans cuisine transplanted to Oakhurst!”
Reviewed 14 May 2013

Being from Louisiana, I rarely expect any "Cajun" restaurant to truly deliver on their name once you get out of the deep south. But Woody's does-- because of Woody himself, a chef from New Orleans.

Oakhurst is lucky to have him and his family there. The food is terrific-- complex flavors, authentic seasonings, and creative recipes. My wife and I ate there the night I proposed to her (in Yosemite) and again on our 2-year anniversary. Both nights we loved our meals in a friendly, nice, romantic environment.

The food IS rich and the portions are NOT small, so go easy!

They even treated us to a good-size piece of their homemade pecan pie for our celebration and it was terrific (the crust... everything.)

It's obvious that Woody and his wife aim to please... we had nice conversations and they are super-personable and genuine. It was definitely a wonderful taste of home!

They are just off Hwy 49 at the 41 highway-- the main intersection in town-- behind the Raley's. Private lot, easy parking, easy access, about a minute off the 41 that connects Fresno to Yosemite.

I hope Woody's is there for a long time to come!

Visited May 2013