“Rustic charm in peaceful surroundings”
Review of Sierra Sky Ranch

Sierra Sky Ranch
Ranked #6 of 10 Oakhurst B&B and Inns
Essex
“Rustic charm in peaceful surroundings”
Reviewed 26 July 2013

Really peaceful and relaxing stay. Owner, manager and all the staff we encountered were charming. Or first impression of the hotel was that it could do with a bit of a refurb and a coat of paint but it's quite amazing how quickly you settle in.
The area is so peaceful and the setting is lovely. we had a Bunkhouse room. Big with a seating area and a swing seat outside which was pleasant to sit on of an evening. Hotel has plenty of history which we found fascinating and is only just outside Yosemite so easy to drive in. Oakhurst has a good selection of shops/restaurants and is only 4 miles away.
Attached restaurant was really good, great food and there is a complimentary continental breakfast.
During our trip to California I stayed in some real 5 star places.....but strangely enough the best nights sleep I had was here....would definitely return

Room Tip: We stayed in the 'Bunkhouse'....nice views over the meadow and large room but would have pre...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 July 2013

As we approached this hotel, guided by our Sat Nav, we genuinely wondered if we were at the right place! The faded paint on the rather ramshackle building surely wasn't the hotel we had reviewed and booked? Only after we noticed the sign for the Office were we convinced that we had arrived at the Sierra Sky Ranch.
This hotel is a strange place with its cramped dark rooms, coarse woven bed and pillow covers, faded and in some places rotted woodwork, but it also has a kind of charm that tends to make it appealing. Features like the long shared balcony, where you can sit out after a meal, with a drink and watch the wildlife or in my case the stars. Other common areas would be marvellous in winter where guests could gather around the fireplace and share their experiences. The dinners served in the restaurant are huge and come with corn bread which is worth trying.
The facilities in our room were ok, but also came with an annoying set of idiosyncrasies. The refrigerator placed by the side of the bed was annoyingly noisy. No net curtains on the windows meant that you couldn't throw open your curtains in the morning, as other guests were likely to be passing by your window. This place suffers from the same lack of adequate WiFi coverage that I have experienced throughout this trip and finally there is only a single coffee machine which produced scalding hot but generally tasteless coffee in one of the lounges. Breakfast consisted of the usual American take on continental, waffles, bagels, English muffins etc etc. The orange juice was good though.
You can't help feeling that this place's glory days are behind it and it is desperately clinging onto a former reputation. It is need of some investment to bring it up to standard that warrants the charges that it makes. It's redeeming features are its restaurant which produces some good, if quite expensive, food and its close proximity to Yosemite of course.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Saint Simons Island, Georgia
Reviewed 5 July 2013

Normally, I never write reviews, but I loved this hotel so much I felt compelled to write a review to let others know about this gem of a place. My kids and I stayed there for two nights (July 1st and 2nd) while we explored Yosemite National Park. It was such a peaceful, relaxing place to come "home" to at the end of the day. The staff are extremely friendly and down to earth, allowing you to feel at home. They even called me to let me know that they had located my daughter's lost glasses! We absolutely loved the pool, veranda, and the community rooms with all of the interesting furniture and rustic stonework and wooden beams. My daughter loved the cats and fell in love with Moo, a beautiful, full figured black and white cat. I especially loved the setting of the hotel with the surrounding meadows and mountains in the distance. I got my binoculars out each morning and watched the black phoebes, western bluebirds, acorn woodpeckers, etc. from the veranda.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Sarah D
Visalia, California
Reviewed 4 July 2013

We booked the Sierra Sky Ranch for a wedding weekend and had about a dozen couples/families stay overnight, and a lunch reception for 50. We could not be more pleased with the way everything went! The Sierra Sky Ranch is the perfect destination for large groups to meet & mingle. There are so many large comfortable public areas people can gather and talk, from the cool lobby area with the awesome antiques scattered everywhere, to the large shared balcony. The staff is super friendly and accommodating. Every inch of the Ranch is full of character and the atmosphere is so charming and country you can't help but relax and put your feet up! It is also very family friendly. The rooms vary in size, some are a bit cozier than others, but that's to be expected in a historic hotel. If you need a little more space, you might want to mention that when you make your reservation and I'm sure they could accommodate you if you let them know in advance! Our bed was super comfortable. The woodwork and details were incredible for pictures throughout the weekend, you won't get that type of visual interest in any modern Vegas-type hotel! The food in the dining room was amazing, the new Chef, Frank, goes above and beyond, meeting and greeting the diners. The pool was clean and tons of fun. We will be back, and many of our guests will be, too!

Room Tip: Rooms in the bottom of the main house are larger and cooler.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
Marina, California
Reviewed 28 June 2013

My friends and I spent a girls weekend away here and had a great time. The place is very charming and comfortable. The staff was very friendly and I enjoyed the quaint atmosphere. We were greeted each morning by one of the adorable cats, Valentine. We were able to relax by the pool and enjoy the quiet. I have recommended this place to others and look forward to future stays there.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
Holland, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 27 June 2013

When we arrived at the Sierra Sky Ranch, after a four hour drive from San Francisco, which followed a six hour flight from Philadelphia, we were ready to be cool and take a nice shower. After checking in, Nick showed me to our room where the temperature in the room was 85 degrees. Not believing that the room would cool off by the time we would go to bed, which was in about an hour, I asked to see another room. The next room available was one that had a leaky shower that needed to be stuffed with a towel. When I asked Nick if they know the showers leaks, why don't they fix it. Nick said that it was costly and the return on the fix was not in the budget. Not exact words, but that was the gist. Nick showed me another room which was bigger put had a floor AC unit that was not near the bed and was not cool.
I decided to take a chance on the first room and eventually the air did cool off the room. However, when I went to use the towel in the bathroom, it was literally shredded at the bottom. I went back out to Nick who said "they aren't supposed to put these in the room". I received a new towel went on my way. The next morning, my partner used the other towel after her shower, and it had a big hole in the middle.
The breakfast was very nominal and I made a waffle that did not taste right so I spoke to the young lady who was working the breakfast and she took the waffle mix back to the kitchen. I did not eat anything else at the breakfast or the next day at the breakfast. The restaurant was closed while we were there on a Sunday and Monday night. On the up side, the room was clean, the bed was comfortable, Nick was very nice in trying to help with another room, and the area fairly quiet.
Ok, now you might think that I am really being picky but...the carpet in the lobby was really dirty and I was just grossed out as I walked through to the restaurant area.
This place has the potential to be a fantastic lodge, great location and lovely scenery, but they really need to put some work into it. Charge a few more dollars if needed but put some money into it. I stayed in the Lodge at Yosemite Falls after my stay here for nearly the same price and it was so much better.

Room Tip: Choose a room in the front of the lodge and make sure the AC is working.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank dianapa

Travellers are raving about these Oakhurst hotels

Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 June 2013

Absolutely stunning hotel. Clean, comfortable and brim full of character!! Beautiful rooms and lounge area. The staff were extremely helpful with advising us on our trip into Yosemite. The steak house was epic, the chef was really friendly!! Generally a great place to take solace from the snow!! Just stunning!

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Oakhurst
Yosemite Southgate Hotel & Suites
Tenaya Lodge at Yosemite
Hounds Tooth Inn
Hounds Tooth Inn
#5 of 10 in Oakhurst

Been to Sierra Sky Ranch? Share your experiences!