“hits and misses” 3 of 5 bubbles

Price range: US$20 - US$25
Cuisines: Asian, Vietnamese
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Seating, Waitstaff
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Webster Street.
Transit: The AC Transit bus and the free Shuttle stops right in front of the restaurant at the corner of Grand Avenue and Webster Street.
Berkeley, California
“hits and misses”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2013

had a chance to eat at vo's midweek. liked that it is located in an older building and retains some of the inside features. overall the décor is simple and near the plate glass windows there is plenty of natural light. as you move deeper into the restaurant you need to rely on electricity. like that there is plenty of elbow room between tables. the wait staff does a very good job, their dress is casual so you may not know if they are part of the restaurant, at least initially. we had the coconut prawns appetizer. plenty of coconut and crunch but the next inner layer was a bit too soggy. the prawns themselves could have been fresher. the garlic noodles are not worth the price. buttery flavor with garlic seasoning but nothing like I was expecting; would have preferred if the noodles were mixed with minced garlic. the dishes do not come with a starch unless you are ordering a noodle dish. the Bird's Nest Noodle Basket was nice to look at but lacked flavor. If you are familiar with the Bird's Nest Noodle Basket at Chinese restaurants this will be different as Vo's uses thinner noodles. The Shaken Beef was a disappointment. Yes the beef was tender as it should be from filet mignon but there was no taste or much color to the dish. The Honey-Glazed Pork Chop was outstanding. Two good sized chops with a delicious taste. The Catfish in Clay Pot was also wonderful. It went well with the jasmine rice we ordered and needed to soak up the sauce. So hits and misses but I would return to try other entrees as well as consider the two hits again.

Visited July 2013

Oakland, California
“Love the atmosphere, some dishes”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2013

I invited a friend to dine with me as I had a living social voucher I wanted to use and have come to eat at Vo's at least once or twice a year for special occasions. We started off with the salmon spring rolls which were tasty, then shared the seabass which was seasoned too salty; otherwise it tasted fresh, and shared a lemongrass, tofu and veggie dish which was good and for dessert we had flan and fried ice cream. The prices are a bit high so I'm glad we had the voucher.

• Visited June 2013
Honolulu, Hawaii
“pass... much better options in Uptown”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 May 2013

Authenticity... lost." Although pretty, the flavors left much to be desired - felt "dumbed down". Would not make it on my lunchtime rotation, maybe if someone ELSE was buying.

Food: Read well on the menu, but really non-descript as we ate... not "bad" but nothing stood out among the 4 dishes we sampled.

Service: Lots of servers standing around, and ours made several visits. Ordered the Lamb Ribs (standard menu item), server returned to ask how we wanted the ribs done, then returned again to tell us it was not available. Swing and a miss...

Space: Nicely done, roomy and comtemporary... safe bet for a business lunch, where food is not the primary objective.

Visited May 2013
2 Thank Kimo B
Glendale, Wisconsin
“Hope I have an opportunity to go back”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 February 2013

I stopped into Vo's for a quick late-afternoon lunch while I was visiting downtown Oakland for business, and I was pleasantly surprised by the food and service. I was not looking for a Vietnamese restaurant, but I could not find anything else open in the area that looked appealing. I'm glad I ate at the restaurant on a "whim." I had the lettuce wraps and salmon, and everything was prepared well and tasted great. I regretted that I "discovered" Vo's on the last day of my trip, and I will make it a priority to return next time I am in Oakland.

• Visited August 2012
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank TheRuggedTraveler
Concord, California
“good for a pre-theater meal in Oakland”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 January 2012

We were a party of 4 dining early on a Saturday night. Throughout the evening service was slow and the server seemed somewhat distracted. However, we were greeted very cordially by the Owner? Manager? who checked on us several times and this bumped up the service rating. We ate family style and ordered a number of dishes, some of which were very good and some were okay. The very good dishes included the Special Platter (skewered chicken, prawns, chicken wings, crispy rolls) and the yellow curry prawns with potatoes and carrots in a light curry coconut base. The drink menu included several special drinks including a lycheetini and a good sake selection. Vo's is conveniently situated near the center of the new Uptown Oakland entertainment district, including the Paramount Theater, and would be a good choice for a pre-theater meal.

• Visited December 2011