“Disappointing place despite multiple tries”
Review of Vo's Restaurant - CLOSED

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Vo's Restaurant
Price range: US$20 - US$25
Cuisines: Vietnamese
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Webster Street.
Transit: The AC Transit bus and the free Shuttle stops right in front of the restaurant at the corner of Grand Avenue and Webster Street.
Oakland, California
“Disappointing place despite multiple tries”
Reviewed 23 July 2014

My co-workers and I have gone to Vo's multiple times at lunch time since they remodeled in 2008 and we keep on being disappointed on multiple levels.

Overall, the service is highly variable from the time we enter the restaurant, to getting menus and putting in our order, to receiving our food, to clearing dishes and to receiving our check. Given that time is often limited due to meeting and other commitments, it would be better if Vo's developed a more consistent team and routine for the lunch time crowd.

The food, however, has been nothing more than average. While there is a reasonable range of choices (and my team as tried most of them), they are not carried out at a high level and not consistently cooked. The fish and noodle dishes are frequently overcooked, the curries do not taste authentic, the green papaya salad lacked flavor and does not appear to have been made to order, and the claypot dishes are over-Americanized.

They handled a medium-sized party reasonably well, the bar area can be fun, and the remodeled interior looks fine, but unfortunately, these can't make up for the other deficiencies they face.

• Visited February 2014

Oakland CA
“Good vietnamese food”
Reviewed 17 April 2014

Good vietnamese food in the dishes you would expect and some others. Pleasant atmosphere and pleasant folks.

Visited January 2014
Oakland, California
“Good for lunch in uptown Oakland”
Reviewed 25 March 2014 credit card Amex Cardmember Review

I had the yellow curry chicken and it was very good. Big chunks of carrot, potato and chicken in a curry "soup".

Visited March 2014
San Jose, California
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Avoid like the plague”
Reviewed 15 February 2014

I should have saw the signs as I walked in. At a real PHO restaurant i would be greeted and served by a heavily accented Asian man, and I would have had to wait a short time for a table.
Instead, I was immediately seated to a mostly empty restaurant by a Caucasian greasy haired kid. Who throughout my meal sneaks to the end of the bar to eat his meal throughout his shift, never washing his hands after eating.

Next, I sit at my table awaiting someone to take my order, lo and behold, there is no waiter apparently - the bartender doubles as the waiter.

I order the Pho - rare steak.

My meal comes, and apparently they do have an idea of how its supposed to be served, but not really. I am presented with my bowl of pho. The rare steak normally should be very thinly sliced, however these were tougher thick cuts. Second, I was presented with a lemon, instead of lime - no biggie. However, where I run into the problem is with the veggies. i could count the number of sprouts i was given on both hands. The cilantro - non existent, the mint? it was a small sliver, if i would have sneezed it would have blown away - what a joke.

To top it off the bartender/waiter is counting her money, while I sit teary eyed wishing for some siracha. I can hear them discussing how "dead" it is these days.... well, I know why.

Avoid this place and go to a real Vietnamese restaurant, this place is a joke.

• Visited February 2014
1 Thank mrhits
“Big disappointment”
Reviewed 7 February 2014 via mobile

Went with group of 5 for lunch. We wanted a cocktail so started in the bar. We ordered off a very interesting drink menu and the waiter seemed a bit confused. After waiting a few minutes and seeing no action behind the bar, the owner arrived to tell us the bartender didn't show up and all he could serve was beer and wine, so we agreed and ordered 2 appetizers. (Strange that the owner or manager didn't know the drink recipes...?) Then we heard a cocktail shaker and our drinks started to arrive...all but one as the bar was out of pineapple juice, so she reordered. Not a good start! The fried calamari arrived with a few fried slices of jalepeno (ouch) and a dipping sauce that consisted of lime juice and pepper...Weird, but nice and crispy. The chicken lettuce cups needed a sauce or some seasoning but the portion was generous. All in all a big...disappointment...so we paid, and ate lunch elsewhere.

Visited February 2014