“Our local gem! Come on over!”
Review of Oakland Zoo

Oakland Zoo
Ranked #6 of 127 things to do in Oakland
More attraction details
Owner description: A 100-acre zoo that contains 58 exhibits of more than 400 native and exotic animals from around the world, which are represented by 100 different species.
Reviewed 25 November 2013 via mobile

This is a wonderful, special place. It's a great zoo in the Oakland Hills, yet feels far from the city. The kiddie ride area and little train remind me of being at a country fair. And this is before you even enter the marvelous zoo itself!
Oakland Zoo has great opportunities for volunteer programs, education, kids' camps, and involvement (including travel) with international animal welfare programs including those
Budongo Forest in Uganda.

This is our Oakland gem: a not-to-be-missed highlight of the entire Bay Area.

2  Thank calinurse
There are newer reviews for Oakland Zoo

Reviewed 25 November 2013 via mobile

Wonderful rides for the children in playland area plus picnic tables.

I give it just average because i think the Oakland Zoo in the Oakland Hills should far supersede the San Francisco Zoo and really should be on par with the San Diego or even the Bronx Zoo...it isn't given the attention it should receive..But still a really pleasant way to spend an afternoon..Take the train around the zoo.

1  Thank Bumlyn
Reviewed 25 November 2013

I don't generally like Zoos but when my daughter was young we took her here and even I enjoyed it more than I expected, although I don't really like zoos in general. They have a great monorail that takes you over the zoo for a birds eye view.

1  Thank Lisgmck
Reviewed 25 November 2013

The Oakland Zoo is a great experience for kids. It is a nice place to hang out. But don't expect anything spectacular. It is not a zoo with an extensive collection or very imaginative displays. But it is a fine place to visit with the family.

Reviewed 25 November 2013

The zoo does a nice job creating natural habitats for its animals. I don't have kids but still love to go as an outing now and then. I especially love the tram ride. The train ride is great for the little ones!

1  Thank PlushandPractical