“Satisfied”

Clarion Hotel-Downtown Oakland
Ranked #28 of 49 Hotels in Oakland
Reviewed 13 June 2014

We stayed in hotel a week ago and had no problems at all! Staff was very friendly and helpful. Room was roomy, nice and clean. Bed was a king and those pillows they use are super comfy! Ok, the area is not the best but we had no issues. It was a bit noisy at night but eventually it stopped. We had a room with city view so if you are not a fan of rowdy crowds and want to sleep you may consider asking for different room. Again, we stayed for the weekend so not sure how noisy it gets during the week at night and again you are in downtown, never none of a downtown being quiet. If you are in need of cocktails there's a great bar about a block down from hotel called Radio.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
ayalnesh C, Manager at Clarion Hotel-Downtown Oakland, responded to this reviewResponded 19 June 2014

Satisfied is what we like to hear, Cynthia! While being downtown does put us close to a lot of the action, we're glad that noise didn't detract too much from your stay; the city views are definitely our favorite part of being down here. Next time you're in Oakland, we hope to see you again.

Hope you had a great rest of your trip!

There are newer reviews for Clarion Hotel-Downtown Oakland

Reviewed 16 April 2014

I stayed in the hotel 4/13/14-4/15/14 in room 708. On the morning of 4/15 I woke up at 4am to get ready to check out and fly back home, but I noticed my arm was itchy and in the shower I realized I had bite marks all over. I went back to inspect the bed and found a bed bug (I snapped a picture) gathered my things and notified the front desk as I checked out at 5am. The staff was unable to find the mangers card but asked for my information so that they could call me once they got in that day. I got home and had to de-bug what I could of my things and still no contact from management! I called them at 3:20 and the staff said they had left for the day and I notified them that this matter could not wait, again they took my info down. They called back to say the GM (Ayu) would call me 4/16 after an inspection was done. By 2pm 4/16 I was tired of not hearing back, I left a message on Ayu's voice mail. I have grown quite tired with the lack of urgency of this establishment. I have had to throw out my carry on luggage, my Timbuk2 messenger bag and Timbuk2 toiletry bag (Timbuk2 bags valued at $200 and cannot be heat treated b/c they melt.) Not to mention the 50+ bites I have all over my face, torso, arms, legs, and hands. Who knows if my apartment will now become infested. I wish I knew to check the bed bug registry site before booking b/c this is NOT this hotels first occurrence with bed bugs. So far this situation has NOT been handled well.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
3  Thank Erika T
ayalnesh C, Manager at Clarion Hotel-Downtown Oakland, responded to this reviewResponded 24 April 2014

We're so sorry that you had to experience that, Erika. When you're on vacation, the last thing you want is added stress. I apologize that our response was delayed; we wanted to make sure to have the room inspected by pest control to confirm the source of the bed bugs. I assure you this experience is out of the ordinary for us. While we always fully inspect and clean every room after each guest, bed bugs travel fast and can come from a variety of sources when guests are coming in and out of the hotel all day. I'll be sure to stay on top of this in the future to make sure we do everything we can to minimize opportunities for bed bugs in our hotel. If you have any further concerns, please don't hesitate to be in touch.

Reviewed 9 April 2014

Really, I paid $80 for this box, called a room. I normally do not expect to be disappointed at a clarion but I guess there are exceptions. First, clean it was not. I made the mistake of moving a night stand and found an old remote for a tv and two bags of opened chips. Second, what do you do with left overs when there is no microwave or frig? 3. need room to do any work , well don't look for a desk in your room, at best the tray they provide is akin to a tv dinner tray. 4. Wfi needed? do not expect fast downloads, it took two hours to down load a small transcript. 5. Hey parking yes for $15 bucks a night if you have a subcompact you can fit it into the on sight lot, just don't expect to open your doors if you find room. The staff was polite and there are nice restaurants close. But for a quite nights rest, you can do better.

Room Tip: maybe a three blocks away in another hotel
Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
ayalnesh C, Manager at Clarion Hotel-Downtown Oakland, responded to this reviewResponded 7 May 2014

We're disheartened to hear how disappointed you were with your stay here. While there are some things we can't help, such as the size of the room, there are certainly things we can correct for future visitors, like more thorough cleaning. Thank you for bringing this issue to my attention, and I will be sure to speak with the staff about it. We appreciate the kind things you've had to say about our staff and location -- we work hard to make guests like you happy. I hope you'll give us another chance to impress you.

Reviewed 7 March 2014

We had a last minute trip to see a band play at the Uptown in Oakland and this hotel really fit the bill. Parking space (at extra charge); proximity to BART, Chinatown and downtown Oakland; decent restaurants on site (Indian and Ethiopian); friendly staff. The room was a decent size, but the bed was a full size? I am sure I agreed to that when I reserved, but it was still a surprise to see it. We were on the 7th floor and I could hear the beeping of the crosswalk signals, but it didn't keep me awake (but at 2 am and after a concert it isn't like I could hear anything). There was a bit of confusion about breakfast - I asked if it was included and was told no, so was in no rush to get up, but when I did there were some croissant and juice sitting there and the clerk told me I could have some if I wanted. (By then we had psyched ourselves up for dim sum, so we didn't stay and eat, just grabbed a glass of orange juice.)

Room Tip: I was in 701 which faces the street and during the day it was loud, didn't notice at night.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
ayalnesh C, Manager at Clarion Hotel-Downtown Oakland, responded to this reviewResponded 13 March 2014

Thanks for staying with us during your last minute trip! It's nice to know you appreciated our central and convenient location. The next time you're planning a trip to the Bay Area, be sure to keep us in mind!

All the best,

Reviewed 6 March 2014

I attended a meeting in downtown Oakland, getting off the BART at 12th street and proceeded the block to the hotel. It was dark, the streets deserted and felt borderline unsafe. The room was small but clean. The staff was terrific. There was free internet and a flat screen 32" TV that worked well. Aside from the size of the room, the location was the biggest problem. Located near Chinatown, I thought there would be significant activity at night, but I was there on a Tuesday and Wednesday and it was near deserted.
I would find other lodging. Traveling and staying here would not be desirable and returning after dark would be risky. Our hosts advised us not to use our phones on the street because of theft and the parking arrangement with the hotel would not let cars out or into the lot between 10 PM and 8 AM.

Room Tip: Ask for one of the larger rooms.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business

While I'm glad you appreciated our staff's terrific service, I'm sorry your overall experience was "decidedly average." We definitely try to do better than that! We're in the heart of Oakland's business districts, which is normally safe and quiet at night. I'm sorry you felt uncomfortable. We take the safety and well-being of our guests very seriously. While we can't change our location, we would appreciate any suggestions you have for us to improve.

Reviewed 28 February 2014

Stayed 3 nights on business at a downtown location. Chose it for proximity to workplace and BART access, and price. To me, car is a liability in city. Other reviews cover it well. In brief:

Pro's:
*Location. Walking distance to downtown businesses, federal building, BART.
*Staff. Very friendly. Try to accommodate.
*Clean. They keep the place clean.

Con's:
*Rooms. Small. Tiny desks, so it's difficult to do work if you need more than laptop space.
*Food. Not much on premises, but enough close by.
*Elevator. Tiny, and makes disconcerting noises. I chose to walk the six flights instead.
*Uneven floors. Not an issue for me. It's an older building. Could be a bit difficult to someone with disabilities.
*Location. It's downtown in a major city. Normal precautions.

Room Tip: Avoid 201, 301, 401, 501, 601, 701. Smaller, directly across from elevator.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank FJVLS
ayalnesh C, Manager at Clarion Hotel-Downtown Oakland, responded to this reviewResponded 6 March 2014

Thank you for choosing to stay with us during your business trip. It's nice to know you appreciate our convenient location and our accommodating staff. While we can't do much about the size of our rooms, we'd appreciate any other suggestions on how we could improve. We want your next stay with us to be a 5-star experience.

Reviewed 12 February 2014

Rooms are on small size, but apparently I go one of the bigger rooms (502). Not new but clean and well cared for. Bed a little hard, but way better than most place! Small desk and chair along with flat screen TV. My room faced east toward street. It must have been trash day, a lot of street noise at 6AM, but went away.

Great value, within walking distance of BART and China Town (See my review of Shan Dong - Wow!)

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
ayalnesh C, Manager at Clarion Hotel-Downtown Oakland, responded to this reviewResponded 16 February 2014

Hi Jeff,

I'm glad to hear you appreciate the value of our rooms and our convenient location in the heart of downtown Oakland. We do our best to clean and care for our rooms, so it's nice of you to recognize and appreciate that. The next time you're visiting Oakland, be sure to keep us in mind!

All the best,