“convenient and clean”

Ranked #28 of 49 Hotels in Oakland
Los Angeles, California
“convenient and clean”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 October 2010

I had a conference at the convention center and opted to stay here instead. The room was very small, but comfortable. The fitness center (treadmill and elliptical machine) is nice, as is the vending machine. Nice toiletries and towels.

Front desk staff was very friendly and helpful. Hotel is literally around the corner from BART, making it super easy to get to Berkeley or San Francisco.

Only drawback is that the hotel advertises its free wifi and it's actually broadband. But that was not a huge problem.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
Dallas, Texas
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 September 2010

I arrived to this hotel on Sunday night, and checked-in around 9:30 pm. I was anxious to do a couple of hours work on my laptop, call my wife, and relax before an early court appearance nearby the next morning. When I got to my room, the door wasn't closed all of the way...I could just push it open. This wasn't any big deal, though it was the first time I've ever felt the need to "sweep" a hotel room for anyone hiding in the closet or bathroom.

All seemed well, so I dropped all of my belongings and grabbed the ice bucket and headed downstairs for ice (on level 2) and a bottle of water. I got the ice, but the vending machine was totally out of water...a mild inconvenience, but frustrating because walking around downtown Oakland late at night looking for bottled water didn't feel like a great option.

Here's where things really took a turn for the worst. Upon returning to the room, the keycard lock actually swallowed my keycard...I've used these locks a thousand-plus times and never had one do what this one did. My keycard literally disappeared into the lock mechanism, leaving just its top barely showing.

I returned to the front desk (approx. 9:45 pm), and the girl working there (who was new) had tools for removal of keycards from the locks. This would have been great, but it became apparent that she had not really been trained in how to use the tool. Instead of retrieving my card, she actually pushed the keycrd further in, so that none of the key was visible at all.

We returned to the front desk (approx. 10:15ish), and the girl offered to move me to a different room and then I could retrieve my stuff in the morning when the manager got there. I told her this was unacceptable...my laptop, phone charger, toiletries, clean clothes/suit...EVERYTHING!!...was locked in that room. She called the manager at home, and he agreed to send his son to help. She told me the son was about 30 minutes away.

At this point, my blood started to boil as it became apparent that getting my work done and relaxing was out of the question, and that I would probably have to work late...IF we ever got into the room. Getting to sleep early seemed like a disappearing notion.

I sat in the lobby until the son arrived (approx. 10:45ish). Over the course of the next hour or so, the manager's son, Zyed (I apologize if I am spelling that incorrectly), went through several diagnoses as to what was wrong. With the afore-mentioned keycard tool, he was able to instantly get the keycard out of the door. I was thrilled that the ordeal seemed close to being over.

The keycard would still not open the door, so it was decided that the lock mechanism must be missing working batteries. Zyed went down to the office to find the tool which opens the battery compartment. He couldn't find it. He tried with several screwdrivers to get it open, and went downstairs to find another tool (we're getting near 11:15 pm now).

Finally he found the correct tool and changed the batteries in the lock. Guess what? It still wouldn't open!! He went downstairs to make a new keycard to see if that would work. Nope! No luck. At his point it was decided we would have to physically pry the door open with a crowbar...which was successful after about 30 minutes.

A new front desk guy was on duty, and as he made me a new keycard for another room, he remarked that THIS WAS THE SECOND TIME THIS HAD HAPPENED!! “We need to do a better job of checking those locks, batteries, etc.”, he said.

Around 12:00 midnight I finally got settled in the new room, called my wife (in TX....where it was 2am at this point) and began the work that I should have already been able to complete. Needless to say...I did not get the sleep that I had hoped for.

The next morning, Samir, the manager, introduced himself and apologized. He was very friendly, but I was frustrated by his “these things happen” attitude. He mentioned that he, too, would have been frustrated without having his belongings. To me, this was only part of the issue. When I checked out I figured I would be offered a refund, discount, meal....you know...at least something which acknowledged what a major inconvenience this was for me and that I had not, IN FACT, received what I had paid for. After all, I was locked out of my room for OVER TWO HOURS...alternately sitting in the lobby and the hallway floor...and had to stay up until close to 2 am to get my pre-court work done.

Not even the slightest concessionary offer was made.

Samir and his son are very nice...that is not the issue. The issue is a lack of understanding about customer service. They have apparently neglected the lock situation enough that this has happened twice now, so they were apparently on notice of the problems. I couldn't understand why a new front desk girl wouldn't be trained in working with the locks, why the appropriate tools couldn't be found, etc. And the fact that this major inconvenience to me warranted nothing more than a shoulder-shrug “it happens” apology just left me with the clear impression that...despite their niceness...the family needs some work on customer service in a big way. I clearly didn't get what I paid for, and they were either unwilling or unable to try to make it right.

The bottom line is that if you are at this Oakland hotel for business purposes, you just can't be assured that something won't go wrong...and, if it does, you won't receive the type of customer service that is routine at the larger hotels. The nearby Marriott may cost twice as much, but there is a reason for that. I learned the hard way that you get what you pay for, sometimes. Thank goodness for Tripadvisor where we can let others know of the issues, and to let management know that they failed in their duty to make things right for the customer. I just can't recommend this hotel under these circumstances.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank DinDallasTexas
SamirOakland, Manager at Clarion Hotel-Downtown Oakland, responded to this review, 8 September 2010
Thank you very much for taking the time from your busy schedule to express your experience during your stay at The Clarion Hotel Downtown Oakland City Center.
We value your comments and apologize for failing to meet your expectations.

We appreciate our guests' comments (positive and negative). That is how we would know how to improve our service.

If and when there is a problem , we do compensate our guests for their inconveince, and in this situation, we failed to do so, and for that we deeply apologize.

Best Regards,
Samir Mshahsa

Travellers are raving about these Oakland hotels

San Antontio, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 September 2010

Economical but the hotel was well kept. Security with key card controlled access to hotel entrance was a plus. Very friendly staff was helpful. Samir will help you with any problem. Only negative was relative small size of room for us two and the high beds made it difficult to sit on them comfortably (I'm 5' 9") but a bargain at the price. Shower and bath with good hot water. Chinatown close by was interesting with good inexpensive Chinese food. Middle East restaurant next door was good. I would come again.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with friends
Lowell, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2010

If you are an American traveler this is a good place to stay because they respect your privacy and are also respected in the community in Oakland, but they are not a resort style hotel so it's also nice if you need special arrangements because the entire staff friendly did anything I asked of them.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled solo
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2010

I stayed at the Clarion for two nights for work, and was totally satisfied with my stay. The hotel was safe, clean, and the staff was very friendly and helpful, especially Frank--who gave me some great restaurant & sushi recommendations in the area. I used the small fitness center one night and that was no-frills but nice. The hotel is very close to City Center and a few small coffee shops which I visited on the way to the 12th St. BART station. The room itself was perfectly fine for my needs for this trip: small but clean, and with typical amenities. I had no problems walking around the area, even after dark and early in the morning by myself as a woman traveler--it's like any major city. The only slight downside was the room was a tad noisy at times--my room faced the street and trucks were loading/unloading pretty early in the morning. For those looking for a good value, this is your choice!

• Stayed August 2010, travelled on business
indianapolis
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 July 2010

This small hotel provides a comfortable bed and good hot water. Staff was friendly and attentive. We were given a handicapped accessible room on the top floor (not requested).
Standard amenities, properly sized bathroom with roll in shower and good towels. Room not totally accessible. Very little space between bed and dresser so the microwave, mirror, refrigerator and window would not be easily accessible to those in a wheelchair.
Even on the 7th floor, some street noise was evident and the AC (when it worked) was very noisy. On the 3rd day of 5, the AC stopped working. It was reported each day, mainly because it was leaking all over the sill and floor. It appears someone looked at it and decided it needed to be replaced but it was not done while we were there. They did offer another room. However, the weather was such that the AC was not needed and we just opened the window for a breeze.
They made the bed and replaced the towels but little things like cups and glasses were overlooked.
Location: two blocks or less to BART and City Center which offers a huge variety of small shops during the week. Just 3 blocks from Oakland Chinatown. Very little around the hotel for Saturday and less on Sunday but the BART makes it so easy to get around. We did not want to rent a car and did not need to.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
SamirOakland, General Manager at Clarion Hotel-Downtown Oakland, responded to this review, 3 August 2010
Thank you very much for staying at the Clarion Hotel downtown Oakland City Center and for taking the time to express your experience while you were our guest.
We appreciate and value each comment.
We are very aware of the problem we are encountering with some of our A/C units and have since ordered units to replace the defective ones. As you know, we are a new & beautiful property in the heart of downtown oakland, and we are trying very hard to take care of some minor problems.
Rest assured that we will strive to give our guests the best service and experience while staying at our beautiful hotel.
Again, thank you for your appreciated comments and hope to have you as our guest on your next visit to Oakland.
Best regards,
Samir Mshasha
General Manager.
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2010

I stayed for 3 nights at this hotel with my wife, and the service was superb. Our room was perfectly clean and tidy, still had that soft paint smell of new rooms. Very nice! Everything was new, and working perfectly.

The staff is awesome. I had some questions before the trip, and the manager(?), Samir, was very fast and polite all the time. All my questions were precisely answered. The guys at the reception were also very kind. We are tired of driving, so we came by train and brought our 2 bicycles, and there was absolutely no hassle in keeping them in our bedroom. After visiting San Francisco by bike, we just came back using the BART. The hotel is just a block away from the 12th Street Station and about a mile away from the ferry station. Perfect!

Also, one of its BEST features: IT'S SMOKING FREE!!!!!!

The hotel actually did its job perfectly. I will definitely stay there again next time I visit San Francisco!

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple