“Great food...lousy chairs”

Plum
Ranked #440 of 1,259 Restaurants in Oakland
Price range: US$30 - US$30
Cuisines: Contemporary
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: West Grand Ave.
Transit: The free downtown bus shuttle stops right in front and Steps from 22nd Street stop of Bart Lines.
San Jose, California
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great food...lousy chairs”
Reviewed 31 January 2013

Plum has an excellent friendly staff and some very delicious and unique food. I would recommend it but it does have some minor problems that can easily be addressed. First, the food (as stated) was delicious but the portions were too small. We had drinks, apps, entrees and desserts but still left a bit underfed. The menu is not inexpensive so guys...a little more quantity. Second, the chairs were the most uncomfortable I've sat on since grade school. I know they were expensive but you could try some pads maybe. We would have stayed longer but my butt couldn't take any more. A lot of this complaining was a trade off for the excellent food and service. We had beef tongue, pork belly, pork loin, ox tail, chocolate tart and goat cheese. The desserts were a little underwhelming and predictable (cliche)...like chocolate torte with raspberries and mint? The cocktails were great and I'd recommend you try one of their own concoctions. All in all it was a $170 meal for two (without wine but with beer). Not the best value I've ever had but certainly worth a return visit if not just for apps and drinks.

Oakland, California
“Quality food, great service , and a nice atmosphere”
Reviewed 20 January 2013

I highly recommend the restaurant Plum. I went to this restaurant with my best friend and we loved the food and service. The chef was able to accommodate all my friends dietary restrictions and still make her food taste great!

Berkeley, California
“Minimalist hip...both in decor and food quantity”
Reviewed 14 January 2013

Uptown Oakland has ratcheted up a few notches on the "coolness" scale with the new Plum Restaurant on Broadway. Spare, trendy decor (Black backround paintings with hundreds of identical plums in a grid pattern), nice staff and very creative food. This wouldn't have been a restaurant for my cop father. He would have been startled by the small portions and downtown SF prices. On the other hand, the food is very good. First-rate ingredients and creatively cooked/presented.My trout was remarkable...moist, flavorful, with braised citrus and winter vegetables. The coffee baba dessert, rum-soaked and decadent is worth coming back for.

san francisco
“This is a good restaurant with a sweet feeling”
Reviewed 10 January 2013

We went there with our son, and it is mostly an adult restaurant, but there was one other family. The staff was very nice, and the food was good. It felt like a very special evening. I don't think the food was 5 star, as I can't remember any of it, but it is a lovely place.

Visited December 2012
Walnut Creek, California
“The NEW Plum”
Reviewed 12 December 2012

My wife and I were devastated to learn that Plum, in uptown Oakland, had changed hands. It had been one of the best (and one of our favorite) restaurants in the entire SF Bay area for some time. Curiosity, however, drove us to see if/how-in-the-world the new owner and staff could come close to matching the delightful dining we were used to.
Well, they did ... and then some. The faces have changed on the floor and in the kitchen (behind the counter) but the quality of the food and it's preparation is equal to, if not slightly better than it was before. We are back and couldn't be happier.
So if you too are wondering what happened to that great restaurant. Plum ... it's still therte in all its glory.

• Visited December 2012