“Downtown near Federal Building”

Courtyard Oakland Downtown
Ranked #11 of 49 Hotels in Oakland
Albany, Oregon
“Downtown near Federal Building”
Reviewed 24 July 2014

If you need to be near the Federal Building, this is a good location; only 3-4 blocks away. Hotel staff was friendly and super accommodating! They allowed me to check in almost 3 hours early! Walked to Lake Merritt from hotel. Not much else to do around here and staying in at night seems like a good idea.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Pimmsgirl360, General Manager at Courtyard Oakland Downtown, responded to this review, 8 August 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write about your stay. I’m glad to hear that you visited Lake Merritt. It’s one of our favorite spots, a great place to walk, jog or boat. There are some other great attractions within minutes of our hotel, and a free shuttle right outside that runs 7 days a week. Let us know next time you’re in town and we’ll be sure to point out some other must-visit attractions. We hope to see you again soon!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
Long Beach, California
Reviewed 16 July 2014

Hotel is located in the downtown Oakland, in the mids of the China town. Bart is close by. Parking is valet off the 9th street . Large lobby with a small convenience store, cafeteria serving hot food and beverages, fitness center. About 5 min to interstate. Free wi- FI. Rooms are large with flat screen, desk. Coffee bar in the bathroom. No tea bags, just house brand coffee. Bedding and pillows are not the most comfortable. Blankets are thin. I had to use the second blanket at night. Staff friendly and helpful. Clean

Room Tip: 446. Very quiet, overlooking the valet lot
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Monika S, General Manager at Courtyard Oakland Downtown, responded to this review, 21 July 2014
Thank you for your feedback. I’m glad to hear that you found our staff friendly and helpful, and that you found our hotel clean. We know the importance of having a clean, comfortable hotel while traveling. I hope to see you again during your next trip to Oakland!
Reviewed 15 July 2014 via mobile

I am not a big fan of the Courtyard, and this one is even I little bit worse than others I have been. It's a little bit over priced and you don't get what you are paying for. The bed sheets and the bath counter were notably stained. This makes me belive the rooms are old.

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your comments. I’m sorry to hear that your experience didn’t meet the high standards our guests have come to expect. I can assure you that this experience is not typical of our hotel and I invite you to stay with us again on your next trip to Oakland.
Washington, DC
Reviewed 10 July 2014

I really like this hotel. It's reasonable, the rooms and beds are very comfortable, the staff has always been helpful. The rooms are clean. I like the free Hi Fi and the refrigerator in the room. I have stayed here many times; it is my go-to hotel when I am in the East Bay. I just wish there was a make-up mirror near the sink; when you are short and vision-challenged, it is impossible to lean over a 2' sink to see in the mirror.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
Monika S, General Manager at Courtyard Oakland Downtown, responded to this review, 18 July 2014
Thank you for the review! I’m happy to hear that we’re your hotel of choice in the area. Thanks for passing along your feedback about the mirrors, I’ll be sure to pass your comments along to our team. We hope to see you again soon!

Monika
Malibu, California
Reviewed 9 July 2014

Seldom any surprises with a Courtyard Marriott. Nothing special--no style or ersonality--just a standard room and property. Great location near Bart, ChinaTown and Jack London Square.

5 Expectations:
Clean, Comfortable, Positive staff, Quiet and Free Wifi.

I don't expect vending machines to charge $2.50 for a soda. Takes review to 3 stars.

Front desk is sometimes empty and it takes them a minute or two to appear. This happened several times during my stay-- kinda unsettling.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank SanMo
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay. I’m glad that you found our hotel to be clean, comfortable and quiet. We strive to meet these expectations because we know the importance of having a comfortable resting place while traveling. I hope you’ll stay with us again next time you’re in Oakland!
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 2 July 2014

There's nothing wrong with the hotel itself; it's clean and it's located in a convenient spot. It's the staff that have caused me to give this hotel such a poor review, and because of the staff here, I will never return. I have NEVER had such a HORRIBLE experience at a hotel in my life, and I've been an annual traveler for many years. I've also been a Marriott Rewards member for many years - that membership card might be getting cut up and flushed down the toilet after my stay here. The hotel completely screwed up my reservation, causing my credit card to be frozen because they tried to charge me prematurely, and for the wrong amount. Oh, and they tried to kick me out two days before my reservation was supposed to end, too. When I showed them the confirmation email I had, they claimed that reservation didn't exist in their system. Before all this went down, they had already asked me a million times how many days I was staying, and I said to them "3 nights" a million times. They even called my room after I checked in just to ask, AGAIN, how many nights I was staying. THREE. GET IT RIGHT. But no, no matter how many times I told them, they tried to kick me out the very next day. When I realized they were responsible for causing my credit card to freeze, I was so angry, they ruined my entire weekend in San Francisco (just across the bridge). I had to use my limited backup cash and could not do some of the things I wanted without access to my only credit card. To top it off, they offered exactly ZERO apologies. The manager was honestly the most grumpy, careless, rude person of all the staff, he was a complete and utter A-HOLE. After we argued about my original reservation, which I showed to him on my phone's email and the paper I had printed off, he proceeded to disable my room key. So I went back to my room, where all my stuff was locked inside, and could not get in. I returned to the front desk, and without uttering a single word to me, he gave me a new key. He knew exactly what he had done, and he had done it on purpose. I will NEVER stay at this hotel again, not if it is the last hotel in the area. So incredibly and deeply disappointed in the extreme lack of service and customer care. If my only credit card hadn't been frozen, I would have checked out on the spot and stayed elsewhere. I so wish I could've stayed elsewhere. This hotel did not deserve any of my money. Most disappointing experience at a hotel, ever.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Anndi07
Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your stay. I’m sorry to hear you didn’t experience the high level of customer service that our guests have come to expect from us. I can assure you that your comments will be passed along to the team. Based on the information I received from the staff while trying to find out what happened I noticed that we didn't clearly communicate that a hold will be placed on your card to cover the entire stay for room and tax and that those funds will no longer be availabe to you. Please contact me directly at 510-625-8282 so I can get some more details and be sure we have a system in place to avoid circumstances like this in the future.

Monika Starosky
US
Reviewed 17 June 2014

Normally stay in the Big Brother across the street but comp. cutting costs. Great value hotel. Has fitness center, restaurant with Starbucks coffee, free wi-fi and a print boarding pass in lobby in case you don't have the airline app on your phone. Very quiet A/C.

Room Tip: Away from Broadway, the street with main entrance. Side street, 9th ave. is quieter
Green Features: Change sheets daily. They ask to re-use towel but getting new ones every day not a problem.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank family_guy82
CourtyardGM1, General Manager at Courtyard Oakland Downtown, responded to this review, 19 June 2014
Thank you for your review. You commented on all of the amenities our guests love – free WiFi, boarding pass printing station, Starbucks coffee and more! I’m glad to hear you enjoyed your stay and we hope to see you again next time you’re in Oakland.

Thanks again,