“Excellent location for family gathering”

Courtyard Oakland Downtown
Ranked #14 of 49 Hotels in Oakland
Reviewed 3 August 2014

I was in Oakland for a wedding and this hotel was where the extended family stayed. The location and the hotel amenities worked out really well! It is an easy walk to the BART, Jack London Square, and a slightly longer walk to Lake Merritt, so we were able to do lots of sightseeing without needing a car. The huge, amazing farmers market that set up just across the street on Friday was an unexpected surprise, providing us with entertainment and lots of yummy fruit and other snacks.

The Courtyard Marriott lobby space is set up very well to accommodate mixed uses: I was there every morning at 5 am since I was still on East Coast time and needed somewhere to read, use the internet, and drink my coffee while others were still sleeping. The variety of seating - desks with computers or space to plug in, comfortable couches, and tables were great. Each morning, some people bought breakfast at the little cafe there, while others brought food down from their room (minifridges, which we stocked at the market across the street), making it really easy to eat together without much effort coordinating schedules.

The evening after the wedding, an ever-evolving group of family members met in the lobby to eat and chat over a period of a couple of hours. We felt very at home despite being a slightly messy and noisy group. Several staff stopped by to ask if we needed anything, and even comped some food we had ordered from the cafe that took a very long time to arrive.

Good selection of restaurants nearby - we tried Cambodian for the first time and loved it.

We made use of the pool everyday, which kept everyone from the little kids to their parents and grandparents happy.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Pimmsgirl360, General Manager at Courtyard Oakland Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 8 August 2014

Thank you for your wonderful comments. You provided some great tips for future guests! Our guests are always pleasantly surprised with the Friday farmer’s market – it’s a great place to take a walk and grab some light lunch during your stay. It sounds like you and your family had a great time in Oakland and I’m glad we could be your home away from home. We hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed 29 July 2014

We ended up with a King and sofa bed instead of 2 queens, so I think our room was a little smaller, and with 2 adults and 2 kids, probably should have stuck with the larger... but it was otherwise great. They tried to accommodate putting us near our other friend's room. Our AC was broken and they fixed it right away, no issues. The Bistro downstairs was great for breakfast (only ate there once). They gave us a room with a fridge because of our baby and needing milk in the room.

There is also a nice little shopping center nearby for groceries and fast food, and the BART is really close.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments. I’m glad you were able to enjoy breakfast at The Bistro. It’s important to have convenient and healthy dining options in a hotel – especially if you have a busy day planned! I hope to see you and your family again next time you’re in Oakland.

Reviewed 24 July 2014

If you need to be near the Federal Building, this is a good location; only 3-4 blocks away. Hotel staff was friendly and super accommodating! They allowed me to check in almost 3 hours early! Walked to Lake Merritt from hotel. Not much else to do around here and staying in at night seems like a good idea.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business

Thank you for taking the time to write about your stay. I’m glad to hear that you visited Lake Merritt. It’s one of our favorite spots, a great place to walk, jog or boat. There are some other great attractions within minutes of our hotel, and a free shuttle right outside that runs 7 days a week. Let us know next time you’re in town and we’ll be sure to point out some other must-visit attractions. We hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed 16 July 2014

Hotel is located in the downtown Oakland, in the mids of the China town. Bart is close by. Parking is valet off the 9th street . Large lobby with a small convenience store, cafeteria serving hot food and beverages, fitness center. About 5 min to interstate. Free wi- FI. Rooms are large with flat screen, desk. Coffee bar in the bathroom. No tea bags, just house brand coffee. Bedding and pillows are not the most comfortable. Blankets are thin. I had to use the second blanket at night. Staff friendly and helpful. Clean

Room Tip: 446. Very quiet, overlooking the valet lot
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
Monika S, General Manager at Courtyard Oakland Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 21 July 2014

Thank you for your feedback. I’m glad to hear that you found our staff friendly and helpful, and that you found our hotel clean. We know the importance of having a clean, comfortable hotel while traveling. I hope to see you again during your next trip to Oakland!

Reviewed 15 July 2014 via mobile

I am not a big fan of the Courtyard, and this one is even I little bit worse than others I have been. It's a little bit over priced and you don't get what you are paying for. The bed sheets and the bath counter were notably stained. This makes me belive the rooms are old.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your comments. I’m sorry to hear that your experience didn’t meet the high standards our guests have come to expect. I can assure you that this experience is not typical of our hotel and I invite you to stay with us again on your next trip to Oakland.

Reviewed 10 July 2014

I really like this hotel. It's reasonable, the rooms and beds are very comfortable, the staff has always been helpful. The rooms are clean. I like the free Hi Fi and the refrigerator in the room. I have stayed here many times; it is my go-to hotel when I am in the East Bay. I just wish there was a make-up mirror near the sink; when you are short and vision-challenged, it is impossible to lean over a 2' sink to see in the mirror.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
Monika S, General Manager at Courtyard Oakland Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 18 July 2014

Thank you for the review! I’m happy to hear that we’re your hotel of choice in the area. Thanks for passing along your feedback about the mirrors, I’ll be sure to pass your comments along to our team. We hope to see you again soon!

Monika

Reviewed 9 July 2014

Seldom any surprises with a Courtyard Marriott. Nothing special--no style or ersonality--just a standard room and property. Great location near Bart, ChinaTown and Jack London Square.

5 Expectations:
Clean, Comfortable, Positive staff, Quiet and Free Wifi.

I don't expect vending machines to charge $2.50 for a soda. Takes review to 3 stars.

Front desk is sometimes empty and it takes them a minute or two to appear. This happened several times during my stay-- kinda unsettling.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank SanMo

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay. I’m glad that you found our hotel to be clean, comfortable and quiet. We strive to meet these expectations because we know the importance of having a comfortable resting place while traveling. I hope you’ll stay with us again next time you’re in Oakland!