“Don't stay here!”
Review of The Washington Inn

The Washington Inn
Ranked #23 of 49 Hotels in Oakland
Reviewed 9 March 2014

I decided to stay at The Washington Inn because it looked cute, with good linens and it was an independent hotel for a decent price. The website also made it look nice. This was probably my worst experience staying in a hotel! Inside the room were motion sensor lights with no off switch. Every time I moved when I was sleeping, all the lights in the room came on. It was like torture, literally! I called again and again down to the reception and no one ever answered. I just sat in bed and cried. What was even more ridiculous is that there was a motion sensor light in the bathroom that had an on/off switch, but the one in the main room didn't! When I checked out in the morning and asked to talk to a manager, the cold lady at reception said he was in a meeting. I left a note describing what happened and requested my money back. I left my name and phone number and I never got a call back. Absolutely despicable

• Stayed: August 2013
2  Thank Ameya D

Reviewed 6 March 2014

The hotel is a 101 year old building, it's clean, well maintained and the staff was nice to talk with. I had a conference at the Marriott so I was gone most of the time however when in the room, I was able to open my window and listen to the city.

The room was clean and updated. Had a refrigerator in the room, free wifi and there was continental breakfast however I didn't eat there and there is also a happy hour I didn't partake in that either. There is a Smart & Final right next door, the Bart is only a couple blocks away. A great Cambodian Restaurant on Broadway less than 2 blocks away as well.

I was happy with it. It was low key, great price and everything worked fine, no issues. Many others from the conference stayed there too and were just as happy too.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank liquidterra
Reviewed 2 February 2014

My room overlooked Washington Street which is very noisy until after 2AM due to the club next door. Windows are old so it's very noisy. While being kept up from the noise I couldn't even get relief from watching tv because the cable was horrific. The tv got only a few channels and the reception was very fuzzy.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
Reviewed 28 January 2014

This place is a gem set in old Oakland down the street from Smart & Final across from the imposing Oakland Convention Center and hotel. Down the way from my favorite Oakland Restaurant 817 run by my neighbors Scott and Emily. The food at 817 is always a treat and the coffee drinks are legendary. On Farmers' Market Day you can hear live music, get food from great vendors like Dibrova's Sausages, or Charlie's Sweets, or buy old sturdy pots from the 2 guys who know their ware. Get flowers from coastal growers for $3.00 a bunch and up. Hear my favorite Chinese musician playing a difficult 2 stringed Chinese instrument. Then you can cross Broadway and go to CHINATOWN where they do things differently. IT IS A TRIP AND A HALF!!!

Room Tip: Just talk to the people at the hotel. Why do think they work there?
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 1 January 2014

Stayed at this hotel years ago and loved it. It needs a facelift and that's too bad because it has great potential. Great location and great bones as a small "boutique" hotel but needs major work in the common areas. Carpet is dirty, walls need paint and get on the elevator at your own risk. The staff was nice enough, very attentive. Overall not bad because I adjusted my expectations and focused awesome location. Would not rule out another stay in a pinch!

Room Tip: Not many options
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 December 2013

We stayed here in early December. the hotel is clean and really good deal. We stayed in a regular queen room. room was clean and well maintain. They offer a continental breakfast, which was enough for the start of the day. Staff was helpful and friendly. Next rime am in Oakland we will stay here.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Zoe R
Reviewed 15 December 2013 via mobile

My company made RSVP @ this hotel. I had to cancel because I made other plans. They still charged it but took the time to professionally explain to me how the mistake happened and sent me a confirmation of the credit. Thanks Thomas.

HOWEVER, while I was there inquiring about why my card was charged although i cancelled. I noticed that they promote a taxi service PRO CAB COMPANY.

The fast talking driver Ali is a total rip off. Charged me $43 from the airport instead if $25 - $30 (and was looking for a tip) and wanted to charge me $15 for an $8 cab drive from the hotel to my location of biz.

I know he has biz cards at the hotel because it's taped by the front desk but use him only if you want to be ripped off.

• Stayed: December 2013