“Mac and Cheese Fans Unite!”
Review of Homeroom

Homeroom
Ranked #11 of 1,285 Restaurants in Oakland
Price range: US$10 - US$25
Cuisines: American
Description: Today, our incredible team serves up over 5,000 macs each week; we’ve got thirteen different varieties of mac available on any given day, as well as local beer and wine pairings, and homemade desserts like oreos and peanut butter pie. We now have Homeroom To Go open down the block from the restaurant. Come by and you'll find a selection of local craft beer and well-priced wines, funky artisan hot sauces, signed copies of our mac+cheese cookbook, and other fun things to take home! You can even place your order online or through our mobile app, and we'll have you in and out quick. All of our employees earn a thrivable wage, and receive awesome benefits like health care and paths for success within the company.
Reviewed 23 March 2014

Macaroni and cheese has always been one of my favorite foods. Whether I need my ma to celebrate an great week or to comfort me when I'm feeling blue, creamy cheesy pasta is the way to go. This restaurant totally gets the obsessive M&C love! I've been to Homeroom several times - with both coworkers and family, and it's always awesome.

The atmosphere is friendly and cool - just what you'd expect for a Bay Area eatery. Oakland really is the up-and-coming area for culture, food, and innovation. My very loud, very boisterous family had my moving away dinner at Homeroom knowing that a menu full of macaroni and cheese options would be right up everyone's alleys.

My favorite is the Trailer Mac, because duh! hotdogs and mac & cheese belong together! My partner is partial to the Gilroy, because he adds garlic to everything (yes, kissing him is an experience!); and he was very happy with my suggestion that he add bacon. We even had some leftovers to take home with us, and we were pleasantly surprised that they held up so well with our microwave re-heating regimen - I think the waitress recommended the oven, but who's got time for that?!

Definitely check out this place - it's casual, it's fun, and it's got a lot of plucky attitude. I would say it is worth the drive if you are from the further East Bay, so don't miss out!

There are newer reviews for Homeroom

Reviewed 17 February 2014 via mobile

Line out the door, couples young and old, families with kids, all flocking for the Mac 'n cheese. The atmosphere is hoppin'. The wait staff is friendly, many adorned with piercings and tattoos. The menu is simple and clever, as they pair a beverage and a veggie with each variety of Mac 'n cheese. There was one glitch... We didn't love the mac 'n cheese. (To be fair, we had the anniversary special, with fresh Dungeness crab, not one of their staples). My view of the kitchen allowed me to see them making each item to order: scooping the noodles, adding the ingredients. It was al dente and flavor not baked through. The brussel sprouts were good. Overall, a fun experience. Will give it another try.

Reviewed 3 January 2014

A local Oakland resident took my friends and I here for dinner. We waited outside for a table for a while and sat at a communal table with other people near the bar, but man, what a fun atmosphere! The staff was friendly and attentive, the food was delicious -- I got the Macximus, with artichoke hearts, spinach, shallots and feta. The portions were huge; we all got another full meal out of the leftovers.

Reviewed 21 November 2013

Who doesn't love mac & cheese? It is by far my most favorite food so I tend to be critical about restaurants who serve it. Rest assured, Homeroom does an excellent job of mastering the greatest dish ever! Definitely try this place out if you're in the Oakland area and need a mac & cheese fix!

I stopped by the restaurant with a friend on my way to the airport. We arrived at 11AM, when the doors opened. I enjoyed the atmosphere the moment I stepped through the door. I loved the variety of seating options: booths (for parties of 3 or more), regular two-top tables, and a section of bar top seats. We chose a two top near the window. Let me also say that the music selection was A-MAZING! Nothing like a little blues and soul on a rainy day to compliment your dining experience!

Once we were seated our server, Tomas, patiently waited as we reviewed the menu.The menu offers a clever selection of mac & cheese dishes. I ordered the Smokey Bacon Mac. My friend had the Mexican Mac. We each ordered a side salad as well. The Smokey Bacon Mac was delicious! I was pleasantly surprised at the large portion size. (I don't eat much so for me it was big enough for at least two meals) I knew I wouldn't be able to finish it all, but there was no way I was going to leave it behind. I requested a box and packed in my carry on bag. Once I got home, the first thing I did was heat it up. It was still amazingly delicious!

HOMEROOM YOU ARE AWESOME!

Reviewed 2 November 2013

Whenever we visit in Oakland, we plan one lunch at Homeroom. We all have our favorites, even my husband, who isn't really a mac and cheese fan--except here. If you really don't want it, they have other items on the menu, and their salads are fresh and tasty.

It would be nice if they did have a few more alternatives, but, hey, maybe it's better to do one thing well than a bunch just average? Anyway, there's a dish here to please everyone who can eat pasta and dairy products--from plain old nostalgic mac & cheese to more unusual additions. The portions are large enough to share or take home some for lunch the next day.

It's not the kind of place you would want to eat every day, and it's best to go at off hours because the place is tiny and they are popular. A large part of their seating is high tables with tall chairs, which I find extremely uncomfortable. They have a few tables outside, too. Their desserts are also pretty good if you can still eat anything after polishing off the entree. That's why it's good to share, because then you can share dessert.