“Very good experience”

Best Western Plus Airport Inn & Suites
Ranked #5 of 49 Hotels in Oakland
Reviewed 17 February 2014

We stayed at this hotel on our way to Hawaii and also on the way back. Could not have worked out better. The shuttle drivers were courteous and on time. Hotel staff was friendly and very helpful. The rooms were clean and very comfortable. The hotel is not in a great part of town but we felt perfectly safe. I would defiantly stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Red007houston

Reviewed 12 February 2014

After I screwed up and made reservations for the wrong night at a different hotel, I was left with no hotel to stay at. Most of the hotels in the Oakland area were sold out. The Airport Inn & Suites was the only one that had a vacancy. One room left! Since I was desperate, I took it.

The hotel is lost in an Industrial area of Oakland, away from the other hotels near the Oakland airport. A large metal gate surrounds the premises. Parking lot had adequate lighting when I arrived in the evening.

Check in was quick. The front desk staff knew I was coming. The guy told me, "So, you are the one that made the reservation for the wrong night". I thought "thanks for rubbing it in". He then told me that dinner was served in their lounge. Tonight's special was Chinese food. I looked at him and thought to myself "Why would I want Chinese food from a Best Western, when I can go to Oakland or San Francisco?" I thanked him and went up to my room.

The room was okay. The carpets seemed clean to me. I had two comfortable double beds in my room. The television was okay, but, their satellite dish didn't work very well. No TV listing anywhere, so I had to search and find the channels that I wanted. A couple of prominent "hotel TV stations" were missing, like HGTV, CBS, and others. The bathroom was clean. They had free wifi in the hotel. AC is noisy, like all hotel AC's. Breakfast is a typical hotel breakfast with sausages, eggs, waffle maker. Nothing special.

The hotel wasn't that bad. It served it purpose and gave me a place to lay my head at night. It was clean. It was good punishment for me for booking the wrong night. I am not going to make that mistake again!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 8 February 2014

This hotel was very neat and clean. The staff were quite nice and welcoming. The airport shuttle was right on time.

The room was neat and very clean.

Breakfast was basic hotel breakfast, but just fine.

Everything I need in a hotel, especially at the airport.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 1 February 2014

Best Western on Hegenberger Loop. So long as they keep a good price, I will always come to this hotel. I like location, my room, helpfulness of staff, computer in lobby for boarding pass, breakfast, big screen TV, quietness of rooms (I don't stay when sports fans flood the place at the Coliseum). Wish the area had a better variety of restaurants. The location is in a small mfg area and many lots need grooming. The hotel's grounds are impeccable, so I just ignore the rest of the block.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Best Western
1  Thank Marjorie J
Reviewed 31 January 2014

Hotel is clean, even the pool was clean. The breakfast was great. Staff is wonderful. Area not the best but the hotel is safe. Stayed for supercross race at O Colliseum, it,s about 3 muinuts away from hotel.Was nice to leave races and not drive back to SF like we usually do. SF has some nicers areas than this but we felt totally safe. There is a carrows resturaunt close by-- Avoid it at all costs. Food was bad and service pretty sucky.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Best Western
Reviewed 23 January 2014

All the prior reviews with the positive comments on the staff, cleanliness and the quiet of the rooms are all correct. It is a nice clean place. I got a good price on Priceline which was significantly lower than others in the area. The problem with all the hotels in this area is the area. There is nothing really in walking distance other than a Sushi restaurant (good, a little pricey, extensive alcohol bar with many brands of sake) a Subway and a Starbucks. When I drove to Starbucks at 6 pm I was hit up by three different homeless people. There is a US post office just over a half mile away. You walk in and the entire counter is covered in bullet proof glass. You have to pass your packages to be mailed through a lazy susan. Do you get the picture I am drawing here? Go, use the hotel and go to your business. Once on hotel property I didn't feel any security issues. (Your mileage may vary) If you want a place where you can ditch the car walk, I suggest find somewhere else.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Robert U
Reviewed 21 January 2014

Sometimes staying near the airport cannot be avoided. We had a rental car to return, an early flight and a lot of luggage. This hotel fit the bill and we were able to manage this part of the trip. The hotel is close to the airport without being aware of it, so no noise. They have shuttle to airport and to the car rental center and to the BART. Rena, in reception was efficient and helpful, making our stay pleasant. Unfortunately their laundry was being painted so not available during our stay. The room we had was very spacious, clean and well-serviced. The shower was excellent and the plumbing was astonishingly efficient (don't stand too close when flushing the toilet as it clears with a big whoosh). Wifi in the room wasn't fast and should be improved. They have luggage trolleys for guest use - very useful. Parking is free and they seem to be security conscious. The provided breakfast was good - waffles, pastries, fruit, toast, coffee, pots of yoghurt, scrambled eggs and sausages in a separate dining room. The pool and spa looked clean and maintained. The exercise room, although small, was ok for those who need it. Overall the hotel meets a need, price is not the cheapest, but you pay for the convenient location and service, so I'd recommend staying here as it's better value than some of the competitors.

Room Tip: The desk staff are a good source of information for local needs. Don't know about other rooms bu...