“Just as seen on triple D.”
Review of Aunt Mary's Cafe

Aunt Mary's Cafe
Ranked #31 of 1,276 Restaurants in Oakland
Price range: US$10 - US$20
Cuisines: American
Good for: Groups
Dining options: Breakfast
Description: Aunt Mary's Cafe is a 'From Scratch' restaurant that features imaginative interpretations of regional American cuisine with an emphasis on Southern, Texas and Latin styles. We are a destination cafe with a highly regarded Brunch on Saturday and Sunday.
Crystal Lake, Illinois
“Just as seen on triple D.”
Reviewed 28 January 2014

The owner greeted and served my breakfast. He helped with recommendations and we reminisced about Chicago together. Most of the menu items are unique and very creative. I enjoyed the Red Flannel Hash. I heard of the place watching Diners, Drive-ins and Dives on the Food Network, so I decided to try it out on my next trip to Oakland. Perfectly satisfied!

Visited January 2014

• Korean first
New York City, New York
“3 1/2 really.”
Reviewed 14 January 2014

Aunt Mary's does a brisk business, and we had to wait for a table, but there was complimentary coffee while we waited. Nice Touch. Some dishes were great, others so-so. The shrimp and grits were OK. I would have liked to had more sauce, and more spice in this dish. As far as the southern bubble and squeak, I don't think it's a good move to take culinary inspiration from England. This dish was an absolute miss, bland and under seasoned. On the other hand, the house-made sausage was excellent, and the mac and cheese was top notch. We got a slice of buttermilk pie, and it was a bit of a disappointment, too much flour made it a bit gummy. Too Bad. The service was efficient and adequate. I think is some really great food here, you just have to be selective in ordering.

• Visited January 2014
Hayward, California
“An inconsistent cuisine”
Reviewed 5 November 2013

I have been here more than ten times, solo, with friends and with family. It is best to stick with the weekend. You submit to a longer wait but the service suffers during the week. I ALWAYS get the shrimp and grits. It never misses for me. Also,the pies are excellent. In the other hand, I've had guests send other items back or simply not eat what was served.

Oakland, California
“Tucked away in Koreatown!”
Reviewed 4 November 2013

Who would have thought of going to a breakfast/lunch place in Korea Town, sandwiched between two Korean restaurants! A friend took me here for breakfast and it's a cozy place. He noticed that are getting an alcohol license so indeed they will be serving alcohol in the near future along with opening longer hours! Not sure when though but it's in the works.

We ordered the basic eggs, over hard with a side of fruit and 10 grain toast, and coffee, as well as buttermilk pancakes with blue agave, side of black beans and fruit. Friend wasn't too crazy about the agave syrup but he was trying to be healthy! Next time I want to try the fried chicken sandwich and shrimp and grits!

Charlottesville, Virginia
“Great breakfast”
Reviewed 31 October 2013

We had a wonderful breakfast at Aunt Mary's on a Saturday morning. We got there about 9:00 and only waited a couple of minutes for a table. They have cups and coffee in the waiting area for those who are waiting - a really nice touch. The decor is a bit funky but quite entertaining and the staff all very friendly. The food was all very fresh with lots of wonderful fresh veggies and inventive mixtures of tastes as well as lots of old stand-bys. I have to admit, the chicken fried steak was terrific - as good as I've had in Texas! We would definitely go back!