“Excellent hotel, wonderful staff”

Red Lion Hotel Oakland International Airport
Ranked #15 of 49 Hotels in Oakland
Reviewed 11 September 2010

When looking for an apartment for my son to stay during his 4 years medical school in Oakland, we came up with the idea for him to stay at the hotel. We believed that we made the right choice. At the hotel, my son does not have to worry about any one breaking into his room compared to renting the apartment. His friend got broke in twice in a month when he rented the apartment. All the services are at hand (room cleaning, free continental breakfast, free internet, free parking etc. ) The staff at Park Plaza is very friendly and helpful. The manager Lynh Huynh, Sales Coordinator Nary Veloza, front desk Nhi, driver, Mr. Ko and all others at the front desk are wonderful peoples. I would recommend this hotel to any one without reservation.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank Luongtran88
There are newer reviews for Red Lion Hotel Oakland International Airport

Reviewed 25 August 2010

A clean and pleasant Hotel for the price of a motel. Staff was polite, smiling and helpful.
Free parking, 20 minute from San Fran. Breakfast is very ordinary but free.If your looking for the Drake, than pay for the Drake!

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank marvinmartien
Reviewed 13 August 2010

Ok, so this area of town is terrible! They give themselves three stars when it should be more like one star. Michael at the front desk was nice. But, I could tell that he was stressed out and had a long day. I had a problem with the shuttle drive who got an attitude with me. He was very confrontational and rude. I felt like I was being scolded by my father! I complained to the manager. She was very kind and apologetic. She would not give me a refund. Saying that she hoped I would stay there again. Why would I stay there again, if you wont even give my money back to try it out. Dont stay here! The breakfast is mediocre at best. Cereal, pastries, toast and coffee are the complimentary breakfast. I got the run around on a refund even though I didnt stay my second night. Oh and the bed is hard and there is too much traffic. You can't even sleep at night. They charge you for internet....ghetto!

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled solo
Reviewed 10 August 2010

Reading some of the reviews, I believe some people have an idiology that hotels are not businesses, and they are. With that in mind, there should be more realistic ideas on what to expect.

My experience was just wonderful, from the room to Brandy and Micheal at the front desk. The curteousness and professionalism that I experienced has prompted me to write a letter and to comment on hotel sites. I purchased my room through Hotwire.com and have left comments there as well as Yelp.com

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank wildflowernoris
Reviewed 27 April 2010

Upon our arrival to Park Plaza hotel the man behind the counter named Micheal first works to use were "sit down I will get to you when I can" Ouch! His tone of voice and the mannerism he talked to other guests was very rude and short. Upon our return to call for the shuttle he asked me if we had all our luggage and I told him no the last one was on its way out. He told me when I got all the luggage call back and hung up. I called back in approx 2 minutes and he said are you the person who just called? The shuttle took about 5-10 minutes to get to us from the hotel. I will never stay at this hotel again and I advise people who like to be treated with respect should not stay here either. I feel as a customer based business you should man your front desk with friendly people.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 28 March 2010

The price is fantastic. The rooms recently renovated -- well, a plasma screen TV added anyway. The main problem I have is that the rooms are dark and dated -- the dark orange wall does not help. I found the hotel depressing.

Lobby fixtures reminded me of a 1970s apartment building. Lights were out over the front desk and an emergency oxygen (?) bottle was propping the door to the manager's office open.

The gym appears to have been renovated and new machines added. That's a high point. The view out of the back of the tower rooms (the quiet side) was also bleak -- lots of parking lots and warehouses.

The area seems dangerous. I didn't feel safe walking to nearby restaurants. The restaurant on site is mediocre at best and the breakfast buffet was NOT on par with similar offerings by Hampton Inn and Holiday Inn Express.

I'm afraid that with a brand new Holiday Inn and a Hilton across the street I just can't recommend this one.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 24 January 2010

I stayed there in last December and it was a very good stay. I loved the cleanliness all inside the hotel. The shower and the bathtub were great as well as the king size bed
and the big TV. The staff was OK. They offer free shuttle from and to the BART station and you can take the daily newspaper in the front desk. I loved the Airport Burger at the cuisine. It was so big, quite a meal.
The negatives are all related to the location (a bit far from the Coliseum - you have an option to pay U$ 5.00 for a roundtrip shuttle in a game day). There are not many places to go in the neighbourhood. The Hegenberger Road is a pretty desert avenue. Anything you want outside of the hotel you've got to walk a lot (Wal-Mart, Taco Bell, McDonald's...).

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled solo